Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Start button on the steering wheel
james h

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Start button on the steering wheel

Just been thinking (dangerous, I know) about the possibility of wiring a start button onto the steering wheel. I'd connect it to the loom by one of those curly telephone/keyboard type wires.

Trouble is, these wires which are very thin aren't current rated very highly, but I didn't think they'd need to be as you are closing a relay (the starter relay) anyway.

So, knowledgable locostbuilders, is this idea a bit ambitious? How much current goes through the ignition barrel usually?

Cheers

James

PSpirine

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
A lot, but there's no reason why you can't use a starter button to switch a standard 12v relay, which in turn will switch the starter relay.

Why would you want a starter button on your steering wheel? does your car need to be restarted mid-corner?

james h

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The official line is that I won't be able to reach the dash when strapped in, handy for a quick restart if i stall (changing to paddles so won't be keeping the sierra ignition barrel).

The unoffical reason is that it would look

Kwik

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
forget the steering wheel, make it a james bond under the gear lever button...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
forget the steering wheel, make it a james bond under the gear lever button...

That makes far more sense in fact.

PSpirine

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
GEAR SHIFT KNOB Engine Push Start Button Starter Switch | eBay
fazerruss

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
you could fit an extra relay in the circuit to drive the starter solonoid which would work fine. But in my oppinion i think its a bit risky having the starter switch circuit made up of a non fixed wire ie a thin curly dangley wire prone to failure. I know this is worst case senario but if the wire snaps, shorts to ground and turns on the starter motor while the engine is running = knackered starter/ ring gear

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

james h

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
GEAR SHIFT KNOB Engine Push Start Button Starter Switch | eBay

That looks preeeety nice, trouble is I don't have a gear shift lever!
"This engine starter shift knob gives your car an unmistakably authentic european appearance." Do Americans all think we're James Bond?

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
you could fit an extra relay in the circuit to drive the starter solonoid which would work fine. But in my oppinion i think its a bit risky having the starter switch circuit made up of a non fixed wire ie a thin curly dangley wire prone to failure. I know this is worst case senario but if the wire snaps, shorts to ground and turns on the starter motor while the engine is running = knackered starter/ ring gear

Good point, although in that case I could wire it through the oil pressure light which would go out after starting the car. Or the neutral light, there would be less chance of the wire failing when stationary. Would also ensure I could only start the car in neutral too.

PSpirine

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss

Depending on the ECU/Engine there may be a "engine running" signal wire, which could be used as a fail-safe. I know I could get one out of an aftermarket alarm I put in the clio. Meant you could wire a starter button on it and just hold the button indefinitely, when the engine fires, it disconnects the starter relay.

Still don't see any reason whatsoever to fit it to the steering wheel when the gear knob is a much better, easier and safer place for it, and still has the "cool" factor!

*EDIT - you beat me to the post with "I don't have a gear knob" in which case I can see why you're trying to do it!

[Edited on 1/8/11 by PSpirine]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.