Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch problem.... gsxr
elf83

posted on 14/8/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch problem.... gsxr

Hi,

My gsxr had clutch slip at high rpm it got worse so i had a new clutch fitted. It still slipped slightly at high rpm and after a week had gotten worse, now i cant rev past 4k without it slipping or even up to 4k if i use anything but tick over to get her moving. If i rev hard the clutch kinda comes on and off at high rpm. and then some days she is ok for a few miles then lays up then may be ok for a bit etc. What the hell would be causing such weird clutch issue? Actuator? and is that a big job? Please help! Im in plymouth,

handyandy

posted on 14/8/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the clutch basket has got some "notches" in it which by your description of what is happening is not allowing the plates to fully engage due to the notches in the basket.

Its easy to fix, dismantle the clutch ( remembering to keep the clutch plates in the order they come out ) & use a small file to gently remove any notches on the basket tongs, don,t go mad with the file tho, just make sure all the edges are smooth, rebuild the clutch & hopefully that should solve the problem.

We used to do this alot on the race bikes.....cause is aggressive starts

Hope this helps.

cheers
andy

RAYLEE29

posted on 14/8/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
+1
grooves in the basket
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

mark chandler

posted on 14/8/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have you used the wrong oil? if oil for cars is used then this screws up clutches bike oil is designed to work with wet clutches.

You may also have issues if swapping to fully synthetic when its designed for semi etc.

Regards Mark

van cleef

posted on 14/8/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Did you soak the new friction plates in the new oil before installing, if you don't won't they polish off the plate's straight away and never bed in properly again.

This was what Andy B advised me before I changed mine

[Edited on 14/8/11 by van cleef]

aka_shortie

posted on 14/8/11 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
i would definitely check hat it has got the correct oil and it is not over filled. Clutch slip on these engines is a common problem if overfilled or incorrect oil!
phelpsa

posted on 14/8/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use synthetic 'race' oils or anything like that. Number one cause of clutch slip.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
elf83

posted on 20/8/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all! the push or pull rod assembly was sticking so took it apart etc all sorted now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.