Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: missy has a death wish :o(
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/8/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
missy has a death wish :o(

Missy wants a classic mini for her 40th (2 years away)

This fears me, the mini was a paper bag of a car safety wise, oh a great little car but not safe in a crash.

What to do?? Did think of one with a hefty cage inside, armor door skins, bull bars....is this a fruitless?

Unfortunatly she hates the style of the new mini (don't blame her)

I'd rather get her a Espace

yeah I am aware that the beetle was almost as bad but that's why I'm keeping the 30hp engine, 60mph is fast enough in that.

hmm

[Edited on 18/8/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
The mini was actually quite a safe car in it's day, much more so than most of it's rivals. Minis get highly unsafe in a crash when the structure is rotten, especially the sills, so getting one that is as rust free as possible, and has had any repairs done to a high standard should be your first priority.
balidey

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't really matter what car you are in, its the other thing thats going hit you.
In a mini, or in a Merc, if a 44 tonne HGV piles into you at 56mph, the end result is the same.
I drive a little tin box and I don't let it worry me.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

russbost

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Get her an 850cc Mini & take a plug lead or 2 off! Should keep the accident to a safe speed!

I stacked Minis on a few occasions in my yoof & would say they will stand up a lot better than some vehicles (G Wiz for instance), you have to hit something fairly solid fairly fast to actually invade the passenger space (motorcycle in the door isn't good tho'!), biggest problem is that as soon as you hit the brakes on a moderately slippery road they lock up due to the skinny 10" rims, hence you are actually much more likely to hit something in the Mini rather than a modern car with ABS. (& yes, I know a good driver can beat most ABS systems but I doubt an average driver can!)

[Edited on 18/8/11 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think I should add her driving is rubbish...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
in that case, give her the beetle, one less off the roads then

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

SeanStone

posted on 18/8/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Put a roll cage in it!
MikeRJ

posted on 18/8/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Put a roll cage in it!

And then watch the insurance premiums go through the roof, and the number of insurers willing to cover it drop to single figures.

Roll cages can also be dangerous unless you wear a helmet, and are a PITA on a road car you want to use every day.

[Edited on 18/8/11 by MikeRJ]

02GF74

posted on 18/8/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Put a roll cage in it!

a mini with a roll cage, also known as volvo 850

Chippy

posted on 18/8/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
My Mrs drives a Citoen C5, and today I was most glad that she does. Got driven into from behind by a Renaut Espace, damage to her car, new rear bumper, damage to his car write off, headlights, bonnet, off side wing and he couldn't open the drivers door as every thing had moved back. Who said French, (Citroens), cars are rubbish? well looks like Renault are, :-) Bloody good safety cell if you ask me. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Kwik

posted on 18/8/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
1996 onwards had airbags and side intrusion bar things...

but it is still a death trap... the japanese make cute small cars and are quite safe, i think daihatsu made a kei car that looked like a classic mini, google around for small kei cars...

MikeRJ

posted on 18/8/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik

but it is still a death trap... the japanese make cute small cars and are quite safe, i think daihatsu made a kei car that looked like a classic mini, google around for small kei cars...

Id rather be in a mini than a locost in the event of an accident...

The Daihatsu Mira Gino looks a bit like a mini, if you squint a lot and suffer from myopia.

blakep82

posted on 18/8/11 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik

Id rather be in a mini than a locost in the event of an accident...

thats the irony lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ivan

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Women are much more likely to listen to arguments about safety - particularly if couched in terms of your concerns for her safety and the impacts her loss or injury will have ion the family.

Lets face it modern cars are a whole lot safer than old - just watch out that she doesn't transfer those concerns to what you drive.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/8/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Women are much more likely to listen to arguments about safety - particularly if couched in terms of your concerns for her safety and the impacts her loss or injury will have ion the family.

Lets face it modern cars are a whole lot safer than old - just watch out that she doesn't transfer those concerns to what you drive.

Yeah I'm sure she's way more sensible than me anyday.

I ride a motorbike everyday so hey... the bug scares me a bit tbh, there's not much strength in the body structure compared to a modern car, infact it really is to the standards of a 1940's car. Offset and side impact are on par with the mini

[Edited on 18/8/11 by Mr Whippy]

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I rolled a mini when I was a lad. The rear subframe gave way pitching me into a field. Side over side three or four times. Even roten I thought it stood up well.
AdamR

posted on 18/8/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've also had the displeasure of rolling a mini and it stood up very well indeed. So my concern would be more around safety in a front ender or side impact.
bobinspain

posted on 18/8/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I can only make an observation.
I've driven for 43 yrs and the only person I've encountered who has had a major shunt is here in Spain. It happened 20 years ago and it was no fault of the driver. Since then, he and his family drive the biggest Volvos on the market.
By contrast, my last car, (insured for, and driven by 'er indoors) was a Lotus 340-R. We've had Morgans, a 'Vette, Renault 5 turbo, Fiat Uno Turbo and much much more.
Plan to live, not to die.

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
My next project may be a mini. My lad wants to do one.
owelly

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've crashed plenty of Minis and never managed to hurt myself. I've rolled two and on both occasions, pushed them back onto thier wheels and got home. The biggest bump was hitting a dry stone wall at 40mph (these walls are fast...). The front subframe got bent as well as the wings, bonnet, front panels etc but both doors opened ok and the new subframe mounted up square and true. I have no worried about my son wanting a Mini. Althoug he is only six...h

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mini's are not so good in a collision, but just about the best in avoiding a collision. SO agile!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

morcus

posted on 18/8/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
My mate at work showed me some crash test videos of cars hitting a solid pole at about 30 (I think) and the results looked scary, but I reckon hitting an imovable poll at 30 is likely to do you serious damage in anything. I don't worry to much about the specific safety of one car over another as what you hits going to have a greater effect than what your in which is why most crash deaths are from single vehicle accidents, Street furniture and trees are far more likely to kill you than another car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.