Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oh hum what paint to use?
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/8/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
oh hum what paint to use?

I think paint is one of the trickiest, nerve racking things when doing cars

I have my old beetle which currently I am going round with Halfords universal red oxide primer, it's cellulose based and so far has been very good, no reactions, no pealing and sands down nice with 400 grade paper.

I'm wanting the car to be orange, it was white and this means spraying every inch of the car inside and out so that's a lot of paint really even for a small car.

I don't have an area suitable for spraying, just an ordinary garage so really doing it myself especially after the investment in time and money on this car I don't feel up to this.

Luckily there is a small body shop just at the end of my road and he has sprayed wings for me in the past and he's quite cheap. He seems to prefer an industrial 2 pack paint which is quite shiny but I have had issues where the 2k paint has not bonded to the very same primer I am using on the bug! This worries me...infact I have been considering looking elsewhere for another sprayer. I'd actually like it done in cellulose as that is easy to polish and t-cut in the future but this does not seem to be used anymore?

I don't have thousands to spend on paint, really about £500 for a final coat is what I'd be looking for. Some places have put me right off as they come out with they want to strip it back to metal and do all the coats! eh no fecking chance mate

Surely it is not too much to ask to just get some paint sprayed

[Edited on 20/8/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur T wareing

posted on 20/8/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
do it your self

Hi if you sprayed the primer your self then spraying the top coat is just the same you can get cellulose from auto paints you will not need more than 5 litres and get the best thinners I use a 50/50 mix and be careful not to get any runs as these are the hardest to repair and at worse you can cut back with 1200 wet and dry and polish with a fine compound. I only sprayed mine because the professionals didn't like painting fibreglass. Price the paint and thinners first. Good luck Arthur
museumman

posted on 21/8/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Whippy I always use cellulose and HVLP spray gun. low pressure high volume is easier for amateur to handle and doesn't paint the ceiling and the neighbours cat like conventional guns.Working in a garage dust and damp evenings are the biggest problems but with care you can save a fortune.
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys, yeah really am tempted to do it myself, the cost of a spray job is nuts unless I do it. Think I will buy a heap of plastic sheet to make a tent like area to spray in. I'll also look at a new HVLP spray gun. The past experience with 2k paint and how like it is to brittle plastic has put me right off.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 22/8/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you use cellulose it is thinned 1:1 so if you buy 5 litres you will have 10 litres total which would be enough to paint the Forth bridge I bought a cheap HVLP gravity gun from ebay and it gives a perfectly adequate finish at 40psi so my 3hp SIP compressor can refill the tank while I am still spraying paint.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

museumman

posted on 23/8/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Whippy do you have a Costco or Macro near to you they sell a canvas garage 45mm interlocking alloy poles canvas roof and sides when I bought mine it was £100 probably more now but perfect for spraying in/parties in the garden /Car Boot Fairs and the multi colour overspray pattern really improves the boring white they come in it will erect in my garage but failing that allows you to spray on drive without the neighbours getting any and every time its clean so no dust fallout from the top of roof beams etc

[Edited on 23/8/11 by museumman]

[Edited on 23/8/11 by museumman]

sjmatthews

posted on 23/8/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I painted (including stripes) my Fisher Fury by hand using a roller and yacht paint (and loads of effort and elbow grease). I'm more than happy with the results considering I did it in a single garage for just over £100 including paint, thinners, masking tape wet and dry, rollers, and brushes etc...

I was inspired by this thread where a guy (69chargeryeehaa) painted a Dodge Charger for $50 (he did a VW Beetle too):

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Just depends on how much effort your prepared to put in

Steve

I'll be in the garage dear!

macc man

posted on 23/8/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth pricing up cellulose paint before you dismiss 1k or 2k paint. It has shot up in price and is hard to source some factory colours. I did my car in celly and was pleased with the results from a very basic set up. Any runs or orange peel can be flatted out with wet & dry. Takes time but can be done on a budget. Good luck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.