Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Floor - Repainting Tips?
Colnago_Man

posted on 22/8/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Garage Floor - Repainting Tips?

Morning,

A couple of years ago I paint my concrete garage floor with 'International Quick Dry Garage Floor Paint' it pretty much did what it said on the tin. Trouble is its now warn back down the concrete in a couple of places.

I now want to refresh it with another coat of similar paint but not sure if I can just paint straight on top of the existing coat or do I need to do something special first? I did PVA the existing concrete before the first coat went down.

I know if it was woodwork I would sand it down first, but I cannot real see me sanding down a garage floor?

Thanks

nige

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
we have just done our workshop floor at work

just swept it clean and recoated

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

trextr7monkey

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi as it is old concrete and sounds fairly stable I would just scrape off any loose sections, vaccuum, then paint it making sure to get 2 coats on the worn sections.
Just done ours at home with Leyland floor paint - "Apollo" blue shade, very soothing it is on special offer at the moment, excellent quality and sticks well, bit of a whiff when it is drying costing £37 for a big tin, unless youknow some one in the trad with an account
I know there are much cheaper paints to be had and this is LCB but we use same paint at work on the floor there- adding anti slip additive every alternate time floor is painted and never had any complaints yet.
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

joni

posted on 22/8/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
crown floor paint

crown quick dry floor paint is the best iam in the trade and would not use any thine else apart from 2 pack but its a fortune and for home use crown is the best
rusty nuts

posted on 22/8/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Try to get rid of any oil on the floor before painting, use a bit of brake cleaner or if badly stained then use some oil absorbent granules and work them into the stain by shuffling them around underfoot.
loggyboy

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would repaint the patches first, then when well try repaint the whole thing, that way you should lessen the 'step' beteen new and old.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.