Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: NEED A STRONG CHASSIS FOR SOME MADNESS
ALEXARAS

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
NEED A STRONG CHASSIS FOR SOME MADNESS

Planning to build a new Locost with my Mechanic who is sick in the head...

The basis is a chassis that we need to find/construct a chassis that will handle power of 300hp of a turbo or 400hp of a NA motor...

Pretty sure there are other wierdos around that can help out.

Would you construct the chassis, or buy it from a factory ie GBS or similar?

What is the hp that can be handled from a chassis as per the book and a GBS chassis?

Does Dax sell chassis or MNR? And which would you suggest?

Furthermore GBS used to make a tubular chassi but not anymore? Why ?

Please bare in mind that the car will be racing.

I think some people are reinforcing their chassis by triangulation? What is that exactly and has any one got this tested on CAD?

Many thanks, really looking forward to your replies.

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

Chris Ridgers

posted on 23/8/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 23/8/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
To be safe you need a bigger chassis.

One of the Luego's has a large chassis (forget which one!!).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of big power cars in book chassis.
onenastyviper

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
There are plenty of big power cars in book chassis.

The problem with big power is the big stops, either deliberate or otherwise. Other than that:

procomp

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I see Andy sterling is running the old V8 dax he ran in 750Mc Kits now fitted with an almighty Chevy V8 600+Hp. Was lapping Snetterton a few weeks ago in the 1.14's. Apparently there where a few surprised Radical drivers at the end off the race.
They aim to be ready to take the 0-100-0 record attempt at some point soon.

Cheers Matt

Simon

posted on 23/8/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hicost on here has a Cossie powered homebuilt locost chassis with about 400bhp and a live axle. I have a Rover V8 3.9 powered one with a cupla hundred hosses etc. Loads around.

If you want silly look up bj928's photo archive

ATB

Simon

ALEXARAS

posted on 24/8/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for your kind replies..

I am only interested on a Seven clone car.

Is the Luego considered a strong chassis?
Apart from the bigger size of the actual frame, are there changes is the design ?

I realised there are varients of Luego. Which are they and what's the difference please ?

Does any one have the designs including the modifications that the Ozzies do?

Or is there anotehr better guide for reinforcing the chassis?

What is your experience with GBS, they have now launched a wider version of their chassis.

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

mcerd1

posted on 24/8/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procompI see Andy sterling is running the old V8 dax he ran in 750Mc Kits now fitted with an almighty Chevy V8 600+Hp

yeah there are some really crazzy engines in dax's, they can easily handle 400bhp+

they'll even bracket up the chassis to suit your engine if its not already on the list of ones they have jigs for
and there new chassis with BMW running gear is well underway too

best to give them a ring to see what the best options are (ask to speak to simon or peter)

(I have to admit I'm a bit biased though - I'm building a rush at the moment )

-

Nick DV

posted on 24/8/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Matt and Mcerd1, not because I have one, but because the Dax can easily take the power with no mods. IMHO the car is well over engineered, which is why those that are 'anal' about the weight of the car do not like them and often knock them. They also handle quite well. As already said, give Pete Walker a call, he is very helpful.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

franky

posted on 24/8/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
As above or the GKD chassis is designed to take huge power offered by the bmw M series engines. I run 335ish though mine with zero issues and the handling is also very good.
scootz

posted on 24/8/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
The Quantum Xtreme chassis is said to be very strong. A bit heavier than most, but it is a stainless-monocoque!

You might well have to do a little strengthening on the diff carrier if going for stupidly-stupid power in one though.

It's Evolution Baby!

ALEXARAS

posted on 26/8/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Reading around the forum, I think I am coming closer to:

a. Procomp
b. Dax
c. Luego

Can you please state the prons and cons on each on of this ?

I would like to go for a bigger car than the normal seven tbh...

The car will have to be run on slicks for track days but also driven on road as well.

And I want NO issues with the chassis.

Next step it will be the engine

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

Nick DV

posted on 29/8/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
The Dax is wider than most - it uses a standard width Sierra rear end for example, ie the drive shafts are not shortened. Don't take my word for it, but I have never heard of a Dax chassis failing. As I said previously, they are well engineered, but that does make them slightly heavier than others - no problem if you are intending to run big h.p. As Matt said earlier, Andy Stirling is running a Corvette LS engine in his.

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 29/8/11 by Nick DV]

mcerd1

posted on 29/8/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
as nick says the dax has a wider track than most
especially with the wider rear wheels and arches fitted (I've got 9" wide rims for the back of mine )

BTW - the dax open day is on Saturday 3rd Sept, there should be a few owners turn up (especially if the weather is good) and it'll give you the best chance to look at them up close / try them for size

Here's some info on the new BMW chassis from the last open day: linky

and here's a couple of pics of my chassis (2005 sierra based) to give you an idea of what you'd get (quite allot of extra bracing compared to some)

[Edited on 30/8/2011 by mcerd1]

-

franky

posted on 29/8/11 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
A BMW based dax would be a great car. A dax rush I nearly nearly went for but didn't fancy using a ford donor.

Are they planning on using the donor ecu etc? Are they standard bmw uprights? In the pics the diff isn't an e36 bmw one? what is it?

I'm not sure why MNR stopped doing a BMW based kit, I know in CKC they said the 4pot engines were too heavy! This has just got to be complete rubbish as a mx5 1.6 engine is heavier so there must be other reasons....

[Edited on 29/8/11 by franky]

mcerd1

posted on 30/8/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Are they planning on using the donor ecu etc? Are they standard bmw uprights? In the pics the diff isn't an e36 bmw one? what is it?

yes they are using nearly all the running gear
I think the ones in the pic could be E46 they say it goes strait on, were as the E36 bits need a couple of mods

at the moment they've made it to suit any of the 4 or 6 cyl petrols, although I think they are still working on some of the details
but knowing dax it won't be long before someone sticks a V8 in it

-

ALEXARAS

posted on 30/8/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
YES!! YES!!!

That's what I am talking about.

Is this chassis pretty much same dimensions as the wide dax?

If that is the case, and if the S54 motor can fit the chassis, then we can as well fit an S65...
The V8 one, which is smaller, lighter and more powerfull !!!

You think it will be too compllicated to use the ecu, gearbox and electronic diff?

Whether it is the SMG II of the E46 or the M DCT of the E92...

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

yes they are using nearly all the running gear
I think the ones in the pic could be E46 they say it goes strait on, were as the E36 bits need a couple of mods

at the moment they've made it to suit any of the 4 or 6 cyl petrols, although I think they are still working on some of the details
but knowing dax it won't be long before someone sticks a V8 in it

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

hughpinder

posted on 30/8/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
No one else seems to have mentioned it, but you need to check the rules for the race series you intend to enter - some classes specify 'standard' locost chassis or some other restriction, and that will presumably mean not going for the wider chassis options.
If you say hat the series is, the advice on the best chassis may change slightly.

Regards
Hugh

Nick DV

posted on 31/8/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
No one else seems to have mentioned it, but you need to check the rules for the race series you intend to enter - some classes specify 'standard' locost chassis or some other restriction, and that will presumably mean not going for the wider chassis options.
If you say hat the series is, the advice on the best chassis may change slightly.

Regards
Hugh

Not heard that one. You normally have to keep the vehicle to it's original dimensions, but just cos onr type of seven is slightly wider/narrower than another should make no difference.

Cheers, Nick

hughpinder

posted on 1/9/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, say for example he wants to enter the 750MC 'locost' series (I know the engine is restricted so he wont be, its just an example), then the rules state:

5.5: CHASSIS:
Chassis must remain identical to original in terms of material,
construction and dimensions.

So obviously a wider chassis would not be allowed, in this case. I just think he needs to check the rules for the class he wants to enter as there may be some restrictions.
Regards
Hugh

mds167

posted on 1/9/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm not sure why MNR stopped doing a BMW based kit, I know in CKC they said the 4pot engines were too heavy! This has just got to be complete rubbish as a mx5 1.6 engine is heavier so there must be other reasons....

[Edited on 29/8/11 by franky]

I think it mentioned sump/chassis fitment as the main reason with weight (not necessarily engine?) and other donor parts as secondary considerations.

wezb

posted on 7/9/11 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Talk to marc at MNR. The chassis is tremendously strong and is a work of art! Think they have just completed a busa turbo 400 plus bhp to be sent to australia for racing. Marc has a great racing background and has built cars for a lot of top drivers.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.