Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: advice re new build
gothbiker

posted on 8/9/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
advice re new build

Hello, Im looking at building a locost, a few months ago I asked about a v6 ultima 4x4 build, sadly looked far to expensive. Hopefully I have a budget of 3k to build a car, all the kit car companies want more for a kit. So think a sierra is the best donor, have been offered a few BMWs but Im a bit stuck for space, which over the counter chassis is best? Did look at vindicator sports cars so I could just buy a cheap 5 series, font trust my welding, thinking in tbe future a more powerfull engine can be fitted.
The car will be used all year around, especially when the weather is too bad for motorbikes. Any advice would be great. Dj

franky

posted on 8/9/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
The only choice for a full bmw donor build is GKD at the minute. You couldn't go wrong either.
twybrow

posted on 8/9/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome! You will struggle to get something on the road for £3k... I know the book says £350, but the realisty is, most of us have spent more... The process just to get road legal can cost upwards of £750 all in...

Instead, you might be better to look for something already built and on the road, and concentrate on tidying it up, and then upgrading as you see fit.

Personaly, i would steer clear of Vindactor (and Robin Hood). I would look for some of the more typical kit car brands, eg MK, Stuart Taylor, Locost, MNR, Tiger etc...

A few options for you to consider:

Sylva Fury on PH
Tiger Cat project on PH
Westfield on PH

Good luck!

whitestu

posted on 8/9/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
In my view the best way to get a Locost for £3k is to buy one already built.

Stu

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/9/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
im sorry but i dought you could build and make road legal a car for £3000
gothbiker

posted on 8/9/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it would prob cost more, I want something simple, hate the excess of electrics on modern cars and all the rust traps, have been looking on ebay aswell, if I can get a rolling chassis should be easy after that, wouldn't like to weld a chassis and end up crabbing up the road, I've. Had land rovers for years done all the servicing and repairs myself apart from ecu on last one, think less is more now, don't need traction control and all the other bull sh1t
fesycresy

posted on 8/9/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
How do you know an eBay chassis is straight? How much is an Aries book chassis these days?

Buying a completed car is cheaper than building and IVAing, as already stated.

If you want a cheap build, learn to weld, scrounge, hunt out bargains, don't rush for parts and most of all don't count up the receipts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

gothbiker

posted on 8/9/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would like to buy a professional jig built chassis, project is going to be over a couple of years. Very happy hunting out bargains and doing deals
femster87

posted on 8/9/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Am sorry but you would really really struggle. I thought i could do it with that. I have doubled that and still going. As adviced buy something and strip it down, then rebuild. Getting on the road would take up 1/3 of that budget, and there is no way u can scrimp on that you have to pay the going rate to VOSA and DVLA. So pick up a bargain and finish or strip a finished car.
fullpint

posted on 8/9/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rather you than me mate... I'm going down a different route.. Buying one thats already built and tested.
If I get on with it then may be (age permitting) I would consider building one!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 8/9/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Building will ALWAYS cost more than buying. People don't know how to add.
handyandy

posted on 8/9/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Saturn Sports Cars website, they offer various staged kits for the Haynes Roadster, including fully welded chassis,s & other stages to include everything to get it to the rolling stage too.

http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/

cheers
andy

Ninehigh

posted on 8/9/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just as a thought what are the availability of Sierras these days? Not seen one about for a few months now

gothbiker

posted on 8/9/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Saturn sports cars, never heard of them, will be planning on a visit, the idea of a mx5 donor could work out cheaper than a sierra, lots of imports around here. Thanks a lot for the replies so far
Ninehigh

posted on 10/9/11 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.saturn.com/

They're american Vauxhalls!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.