Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: advice selling a very very high spec laptop
thunderace

posted on 13/9/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
advice selling a very very high spec laptop

im going to sell my sony Sony VAIO AR41S ,it cost me about £2500 about 18 mounths ago but we dont use it much as we have notebooks and 2 quad core pc,s and dont like to take it about with us as we are scared about it geting damaged or stolen ,i would like to know how much its worth as im going to sell it to fund my kicar project .it still sells for £1900
im going to sell in on gumtree or somthing local; as i would not chance it geting damaged in shiping.has anyone any advice on a fair price or where to sell it.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_AR41S_-_2_Year_collect_and_return_extended_warranty_BUN-VGNAR41S-416/version.asp

review

http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/labs/125900/sony-vaio-vgnar41s.html

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/9/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth what you can get for it. Suggest you see what they go for on ebay.
Down side, an eighteen month old, top spec machine, will be an entry level machine in another six months.
The wonderful world of computing.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

tomprescott

posted on 13/9/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I think you'll be lucky to get anywhere near 1000 for it - especially as there is so much competition for laptops.

I think sony's, much like apple, are generally overpriced for their technical specs, personally I think you would be lucky getting 500 for it. That probably isn't what you want to hear though...

A bird in the hand....

mookaloid

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
One sold on ebay on 7th Sept for £435 described as "hardly used - in perfect working order"

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Second hand technology rarely fetches good money. I was thinking around £400-500, but who knows... there aren't any others on eBay right now, so you'd have the market all to yourself!

It's Evolution Baby!

thunderace

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
i dont want to put it on ebay as postage or damage ect,,
mookaloid

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
probably worth even less if you won't post it as you are severely limiting your market place.

you can send insured and well packed - it should be fine.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Liam

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
£2500 18 months ago!! Ouch I think you were robbed! Even the review you linked had it at £2000 in 2007. Back then I'd say it was very very high spec, 18 months ago not really, now no way. You can get a better spec new for around £1000 nowadays, so I'd agree you'd be lucky to get more than £500 for that .
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 13/9/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh that isnt very high spec at all. The high price is just due to the fact its a sony. I sold a much higher spec clevo laptop earlier this year and only got £450 for it on ebay.
I bought its replacement for around £950 which got me an ATI 5870m, Intel Core i5 460, 8gb ram and 1Tb of drive space.

I doubt you will get much over£400 for it

Ninehigh

posted on 13/9/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I might be able to do you a swap for mine and some cash, I'd better check my insurance first though (it's darn good, and don't want to lose it!)

McLannahan

posted on 13/9/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to heap yet more negativity but the RAM is low spec now and it's max'd out at 2 GIG too.

I'm sorry but I'd echo others values....300 to 400

kevmcdo

posted on 13/9/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's a sad reflection of the sector, if you are spending that kind of money you really need to get value from it In the time you own it and not hope for a decent resale value. Apple products used to be very good at holding their value but as they become more popular there resale values are dropping too
Gumtree is worse for crooks fencing goods than eBay but better if you are after a quick local ish sale!!!

britishtrident

posted on 13/9/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
About 4 -5 years back Sony laptops picked up a reputation for motherboard faults, Sony probably fixed the problem as soon as it became apparent but damage was done to an otherwise spotless reputation.

[Edited on 13/9/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

YODI

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
This is the one that sold, I think £450 is your asking price.. Enough for some wheels and tyres for your car
YODI

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
oops the link

Sony VAIO VGN-AR41S 17' 2.2 GHz Laptop PC | eBay

[Edited on 13/9/11 by YODI]

MikeCapon

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
About 4 -5 years back Sony laptops picked up a reputation for motherboard faults, Sony probably fixed the problem as soon as it became apparent but damage was done to an otherwise spotless reputation.

[Edited on 13/9/11 by britishtrident]

Ha ha! I had one of these... Failed at 13 months, all data lost, family and motorsport photos, the lot. Sony couldn't give a flying f... about it. Never, ever again.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Snap!

I took one with me on my travels to Bosnia and it failed. I lost a hard-drive full of once-in-a-lifetime photos.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.