Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: New Phone - Help!
mcerd1

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
OT: New Phone - Help!

I'm due a new phone in a couple of weeks and the one I've got is defiantly getting a bit tired, problem is I don't think the phone I'm looking for exists....

I've got a nokia N86 at the moment and its almost exactly the right kind of phone form me, but its a bit slow and the OS isn't the best (S60). So I'm looking for something thats effectively a faster better version without loosing the features I actually use...

Basically I want a non-touch screen phone with loads of built in memory (8Gb+), micro SD card slot, decent mp3 player (with built in FM transmitter and dedicated buttons if possible), some kind on usable camera and really, really good battery life.
I'm not bothered about web browsing or apps.
Also it needs to be able to take some abuse (the one I've got now has survived hundreds of drops and couple of drowning)

any ideas ??
-Robert

[Edited on 19/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

jossey

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
fm transmitter? or reciever....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
^^ transmitter - thats what I've got at the moment and its really useful

-

kevmcdo

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Had one of those as a work phone for a bit and yes the FM transmitter is a handy function to have that you do not see on many phones now, save mucking about with cables. Think you may struggle to get an update that will give you the full wish list though
britishtrident

posted on 19/9/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
FM transmitters have seem to have vanished from the market, likewise most smart & feature phones now have most of the built in memory devoted to the OS and depend on slot in memory cards, and you will be hard push to find any phone without a touch screen of some kind.

I would look at qwerty smart phones such as the HTC Cha Cha or Orange Barcalona, a qwerty keyboard makes txting very quick and easy, however don't write off touch screens for text input all you have to do is load the Swype Beta app and text input is transformed from a finger aching chore to a quick and easy joyful experience.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 19/9/11 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
...and you will be hard push to find any phone without a touch screen of some kind...

Thats what I'm finding so far

its not really the typing I'm worried about, I don't text enough for that to bother me much - its more that touch screens don't much like getting wet or being dropped
(although it was funny watching people with touch screen phones try to type on the wee local bs in poland - the roads where just a little bumpy... )

-

HowardB

posted on 19/9/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
2nd hand N95, does everything that you mentioned, and has a 5mp camera too. I had one, amazing kit.

now onto an E7, bit slower, and does a shed more stuff

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mcerd1

posted on 19/9/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
2nd hand N95, does everything that you mentioned, and has a 5mp camera too. I had one, amazing kit.

Still got my old one of them somewhere too...

the N86 I've got is actally the same style of phone (the screen slides both ways and very similar button layout) but everything on it is a bit better/faster with a better battery - what I'm looking for is something even faster again with an even better battery

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.