Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter upgrade
roadrunner

posted on 22/9/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Winter upgrade

It looks like I will be swapping the very reliable ZX9R for a Zx10R this winter and there are a few things I am not sure about.
1- Which year of engine is best, obviously newer the better but cost comes into it as well. Are all the newer zx10s post 2004 the same power.
2- Will the zx9 manifold fit the zx10.
3- How much of the engine cradle suit the new engine.
4- Which Freelander diff is the one to have as sellers on Fleebay don't give the ratio.
5- Will my rear end need altering to suit new diff.
6- And can I run the standard ecu, or is the power commander best.

A lot of questions I know, but your input would be greatly appreciated.
Brad

eddie99

posted on 22/9/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can only help with number 1 and 6.... Don't know the zx9 well enough to comment however. Power wise, the 06/07 are the same engine and 08/09/10 are the same engine, The differences between the 06/07 and later ones are secondary injectors in the airbox. A bit more power out of the later engines but not significant. Not sure on 04/05 engines however.
With regards to power commander, On a road car, i wouldn't say its necessary but if wanting to go on track, i would pay the extra for powercommander. If you want a powercommander, i can beat most peoples prices

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RickRick

posted on 23/9/11 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'll take 4 and 5
All the freelander diffs are the same ratio, and i'm almost sure its 3.21 make sure you get the newer ones, i think they have 180 in the part number, older ones have weaker bearings in the nose.

yes, if your rear end is currently built for sierra diff it will need major changes, it will probably also require a shorter prop, and new driveshafts with freelander splines at one end, sierra at the other

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/9/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Re: 5
Have you considered trying to pick up a 3.14 or a 3.36 diff. The modifications for Freelander include changed driveshafts and mounting points. 3.14 are expensive, but not unobtainable.

roadrunner

posted on 24/9/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info felllas.
06- 07 engines are cheaper and I have just seen a 3.14 diff on the Bay for 160 quid.

Hellfire

posted on 24/9/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered that your money might be better spent on adding lightness and getting the car set up properly? I'm not trying to dissuade you from fitting a ZX10R but IMHO, the work and cost involved may not give you the power increase you're expecting. The ZX9R is a great engine and as you say, has been very reliable for you.....

Phil

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/9/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Phil, Ive had a 2006 zx10r engine in one of my Indys, and Ive drove lots of different BEC's over the years, the zx9 is a great engine, your not going to notice that much difference, I would spend my money on set up, weight reduction, shocks, brakes and improving driving skills.
Steve Hignett

posted on 24/9/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be agreeing with Messr's Mr Fisher and Mr Hellfire on this one (big surprise obv!)

In fact, I'll go one step further - I think going to a ZX10R does require a taller diff for sure, but I think the 3.14 might be thre perfect one, but for pure feel of how it drives in comparison to your current ZX9 setup - I'd be willing to bet that it might just feel slower or at least a bit more mundane to drive due to it's characteristics...

roadrunner

posted on 24/9/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
It could do with the engine being set up by a pro. I will see if I can get it set up before its off the road then make my decision.
Was really looking forward to the 10r though.
Brad

roadrunner

posted on 29/9/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone gone zx9 to zx10 before. If so do the 9 headers fit the zx10 engine. It could save me a few quid.
Brad.

gmoto

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would expect the headers won't fit the zx10, but afraid I don't have enough specific experience to be sure with these models.
If you check out aftermarket exhaust lists (ie akrapovic etc) and see which models are listed together, it should give you an idea.

If you do decide to keep the zx9 engine, I've got a tweaked head from a race bike for sale (though I used it on the road mostly) - had it dyno'd in 03 at big-cc to show 143hp at the rear wheels with a lovely smooth torque line (two less than a zzr1200 that was on the dyno the same day).
As far as I know the modifications to the head were the only changes to the engine - it was matched with jetting changes and a full race exhaust system.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.