Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling all experts
watsonpj

posted on 28/9/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Calling all experts

Following on from my other topic about the experts on here. As the subject of why neutrinos travel faster than light hasn't been posted suprises me but I guess if you work in an underground bunker there is no point building a car. So my question is why/how can they.

My theory is they are Neutrino identical twins with well synconised watches just having a laugh at our expense but I am open to any other suggestions.

Pete

coozer

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I knew all about it, been watching the Doctor do it in the Tardis for years!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I believe one of the first theories off the block (and top of someone's head) is that they are taking a short cut through another dimension so aren't strictly violating the speed of light. Alternatively they'll find half a stale BLT in the detector.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
In all fairness to the researchers, they're saying to the scientific world "We're sure these results are wrong, but we can't see where - can anyone else spot the mistake?"

Actually quite a neat way of claiming the discovery before anyone else, in case their results are correct!

Confused but excited.

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO only, I think that because Neutrinos have zero mass they are not affected by Gravity. Photons on the other hand are reputed to have mass and are therefore affected by gravity. It is therefore my postulation that in fact Neutrinos travel at the speed of light, but light as we measure it, has been slowed slightly by gravitational effects and the very clever people at CERN are just too clever to spot the obvious.
There again, my handle 'Confused . . . etc' isn't there for nothing.
Another thing that confuses me is; If, as according to Einstein, a body's mass tends towards infinity as it's velocity approaches 'c', then why does this not happen with photons? Surely if he was correct, photons would all be black holes.
You can clearly see why I am not a physisist.
Or am I just relatively confused.

[Edited on 28/9/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ninehigh

posted on 28/9/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
It might be something to do with the fabric of space-time, and are thus moving between points of great distance yet travel at sub-light speeds.

There was an episode of "sci-fi science" where they explained that warping this fabric could mean faster than light travel without all the problems of getting to that speed

Peteff

posted on 28/9/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's spelt physicist, you are confused

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Benzine

posted on 28/9/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
It might be something to do with the fabric of space-time, and are thus moving between points of great distance yet travel at sub-light speeds.

There was an episode of "sci-fi science" where they explained that warping this fabric could mean faster than light travel without all the problems of getting to that speed

Best avatar in this thread Did you get that info from the Junior Colour Encyclopedia of Space?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 29/9/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Faster than light information transfer has been known for many years now. It's called quantum entanglement.
my guess is that something may be working on the quantum level
.....OR, they just measured it wrong

ATB
Paul

chrsgrain

posted on 1/10/11 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here" said the bartender. A neutrino walks into a bar.

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Ninehigh

posted on 1/10/11 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Best avatar in this thread Did you get that info from the Junior Colour Encyclopedia of Space?

Heh, experience! Even with my massive IQ travelling at the speed of light is still brown trousers time

designer

posted on 1/10/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

neutrinos travel faster than light

Apparently, this hasn't been proved yet!!

All the boffins are still arguing about it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 1/10/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here" said the bartender. A neutrino walks into a bar.

worthy of Sheldon Cooper,that one.

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.