Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK indy progress
JeffJeffers

posted on 3/10/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
MK indy progress

I have been building my Indy R for about 18 months now. Progress has been slow but I have spent a lot more time on it over the last couple of months. Now it is starting to look like a car.

The front arhces are only resting on the wheels for the picture, I have still got the fun job of bending the stays.
The engine has run badly for a few seconds. Hopefully will get the wiring finshed properly in the next couple of weeks so I can try the engine again.

After engine is running it is off to be painted.

SIDE 3OCT
SIDE 3OCT

back 3oct
back 3oct

dash 3oct
dash 3oct

Proby

posted on 3/10/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, I like your dash layout, looks very neat.
L5W

posted on 3/10/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice! I like your dash layout too. Looks like we're both at a similar stage in the build.

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

big_wasa

posted on 3/10/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
looking good
JeffJeffers

posted on 3/10/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L5W
Very nice! I like your dash layout too. Looks like we're both at a similar stage in the build.

Lee

Thanks all.
I must admit Lee I have used your build blog a lot for ideas and help. It has been a really helpful blog.

JeffJeffers

posted on 13/10/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Its a alive

After a few problems finally the engine runs.

http://youtu.be/Per5SLIvmJI

jabbahutt

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
coming along nicely, I also think the dash layout is really well done.

fullpint

posted on 14/10/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
That was one BIG you had on your face.. Looking good. I guess this will be ready for Spring-time 2011..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JeffJeffers

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
A had a fairy productive day in the garage today unlike yesterday.

I was at work Saturday morning which normally would be rubbish but I knew we would be painting my panels so I was looking forward to going for once.
Me and Ed ,the painter, had stopped late Wednesday night and sanded down the already primered panels. So all we had to do is mask them and it would be time for the colour.
After what seemed like hours of masking the panels where set out in the paint bay for painting.
Panels ready
Panels ready

The problem came when we went to mix the paint. One of the colour ingredients had been used on the Friday. So we was unsure if there would be enough. We thought we would give it ago but we barely had enough for one coat.
So now we need to order some more paint Monday, do a load more sanding to key the surface and then have another go.

painting 2
painting 2

bobinspain

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Showing my ignorance I know, but why does the gel coat need painting?
JeffJeffers

posted on 21/11/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
Showing my ignorance I know, but why does the gel coat need painting?

The gel coat didn't need painting. Infact it was a very good finish, but the car dealership I work at has a bodyshop. So why not paint it to be a little different!

chrisspartan

posted on 21/11/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Switches

Jeff, nice looking dash, out of interest which switches have you ended up fitting I notice you have 5. I don't mean which make but which function. I assume they are Apem/Savage switches. I am just struggling to establish which functions I need for IVA before I order them off RS.

Chris

JeffJeffers

posted on 21/11/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisspartan
Jeff, nice looking dash, out of interest which switches have you ended up fitting I notice you have 5. I don't mean which make but which function. I assume they are Apem/Savage switches. I am just struggling to establish which functions I need for IVA before I order them off RS.

Chris

They are Savage switches. The bottom is fog lamp, side lights, dipped headlamps, main beam and finally hazards. For the indicators I have used a toggle switch. I know Savage do the warning lights as well but I couldn't justify the cost.

This is what a wasted day of painting looks like. It is kind of a marble affect.
1st paint3
1st paint3

JeffJeffers

posted on 26/11/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Better day of painting today. I'm really happy with how it looks and can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

Painted panels
Painted panels

Close up paint
Close up paint

procomp

posted on 26/11/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just one observation. The front dampers are on upside down IE the adjuster knobs at the top. The end result of that will be air where there should be oil and no damping. !!!

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JeffJeffers

posted on 28/11/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Just one observation. The front dampers are on upside down IE the adjuster knobs at the top. The end result of that will be air where there should be oil and no damping. !!!

Cheers Matt

The front dampers are fitted with the adjuster knob at the bottom now. That picture must have been taken when I was having problems getting the dampers to fit.

Thanks for the warning.

procomp

posted on 28/11/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Always worth mentioning as all the MK Indy R's i have setup have had the front dampers on upside down and has been one off the main reasons for poor handling.

Cheers Matt

JeffJeffers

posted on 7/12/11 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have got a little futher over the last week or so.
The side panels have been bonded in place and the back panel fitted.
I tried to bleed the brakes last night. All was going well until I tried them for the 1st time and fluid came out of the rear caliper I had rebuilt. So rather than mess around with it I bought a reconditioned caliper. The black paint is drying on it now. So another go tomorrow at bleeding the brakes.

Side Stuck
Side Stuck

Rear panel
Rear panel

JeffJeffers

posted on 19/1/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have been fairly busy over the last few weeks.

Got most of my panels fitted now properly so it looks a bit more like a car.

19th jan 2012
19th jan 2012

I had a few problems getting my engine to run properly so I decided to trailer the car to my work to see if some of the mechanics could help. Didn't take to long to find it was a problem with the idle control valve. With that fitted correctly the engine seemed to run really well.
After it had been running for a few minutes we noticed a knocking noise. It sounded a lot like a bottom end rattle.

So I stopped late that night and removed the sump to have a look what I could find. No.4 Shell looks in a very sorry state and has damaged the crank. So now the engine is coming out again.

crank damage
crank damage

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.