Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very sad day...
craig1410

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad day...

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

It might take a few years for some of us to realise what he has given us but he has truly changed the technology world.

Like him or loathe him, you can't help but respect him and what he and Apple have achieved.

Rest in peace Steve, our thoughts are with your family and close friends.

russbost

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
+1

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
phelpsa

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Even though I've never bought an Apple product, I think it's fair to say that he was one of the few true geniuses of the 21st century.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 6/10/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I personally think we lost a inspiring legend that changed the way we perceive technology. There are/were few visionaries of his calibre.
nick205

posted on 6/10/11 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Sad news indeed - It will be really interesting to see what effect it has on Apple as a company and a brand. You hear very little of Steve Wozniak these days - I wonder what he's up to?

After hearing that Apple fans were gathering outside Apple stores already a colleague of mine commented earlier today that he can't see the same reaction for dear old Bill gates when he shuffles off.

kevmcdo

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Don't think we will see a great change in Apple in the next few years anyhow.
When Apple were without him the last time in the 90's it was very much a different company then with a lot of political turmoil at board level, that turmoil is no longer an issue so with any luck the company can continue on with its success.......

balidey

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Always sad news to hear of someones death at a relativly young age, but his technology has never touched my life. I don't own a mac, iphone, ipad, ipod and probably never will. Did his company change the face of technology? Well there are other mp3 players, other computers, other phones and tablets. Are apples a bit better? Perhaps, but that is all. I can't see that he was a visionary that many people are playing him out to be in the media. Yes Apple products are popular, yes he ran the company, but the hype in my eyes is over the top.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad news indeed, Im definately on the dislike side of the apple fence. However I admire the products for what they can do, just something about them and apple that made me dislike them! Stems back to Quicktime trying to take over my machine back in the early 2000s i think!

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
After hearing that Apple fans were gathering outside Apple stores already a colleague of mine commented earlier today that he can't see the same reaction for dear old Bill gates when he shuffles off.

I think thats probably a reflection of the type of people that use Apple products rather than the men behind them! (ie sheep lol )

eddie99

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad Indeed!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
craig1410

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
...but his technology has never touched my life.

I can understand why you find it difficult to understand but I am pretty certain Apple will have already touched your life or will do so in the years to come.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Always sad news to hear of someones death at a relativly young age, but his technology has never touched my life. I don't own a mac, iphone, ipad, ipod and probably never will. Did his company change the face of technology? Well there are other mp3 players, other computers, other phones and tablets. Are apples a bit better? Perhaps, but that is all. I can't see that he was a visionary that many people are playing him out to be in the media. Yes Apple products are popular, yes he ran the company, but the hype in my eyes is over the top.

I tend to agree, Apples genius lay mainly in marketing rather than technology IMO. However I can't deny they have made some pretty slick products, albeit at very inflated prices.

Very sad to have gone at just 56 though, I didn't realise he'd been fighting this for 7 years

Bluemoon

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Apple where in it at the start of the personal computer, they completely invented the graphical interfaces, nothing to do with the currant fad of ithingy's, they will come and go.. they where much much more fundamental in the development of IT than that... So we have all used products inspired by apple...

Dan

eddie99

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
As well he also had a lot to do with Pixar, I believe he was one of the toy story producers amongst lots of things so i really do find it hard that you have never been touched by him.
sickbag

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Apple where in it at the start of the personal computer, they completely invented the graphical interfaces, nothing to do with the currant fad of ithingy's,

Dan

Nope - Zerox did it 10 years before Apple even formed.

Finally back on the job!

eddie99

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sickbag
quote:

Apple where in it at the start of the personal computer, they completely invented the graphical interfaces, nothing to do with the currant fad of ithingy's,

Dan

It was however the first mass produced PC.

Irony

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The man helped create computing and then pushed the entire industry to it's limits and then kept on pushing. His products are the most technologically advanced in the world they were also things of beauty (which is exceptionally rare). Everybody else is running to catch up with Apple both in software and hardware. If this man is not a visionary then I don't know who is.

Did you know that Apple have the iPad 3 ready to go but won't release it because their competitors are nowhere near the iPad 2.

The only shadow to Jobs's career was his amazing success. I often thought he has unwittingly created a monopoly in all that is Apple. Something that he sought to bring down when Microsoft were all powerful.

Irony

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Dan

Xerox with a X. The Xerox Alto was never sold. But some people consider one of the first computers. Shame that Xerox thought it would be a commercial failure........

scudderfish

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Xerox royally screwed up with their tech. They invented the GUI and ethernet and didn't capitalise on either. When I was at Uni they were a case study of what not to do. I guess Nokia fill that role now.

onenastyviper

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Xerox royally screwed up with their tech. They invented the GUI and ethernet and didn't capitalise on either. When I was at Uni they were a case study of what not to do. I guess Nokia fill that role now.

Yeah, who wants a "Graphical" interface or a single cable to interconnect computers together?

scudderfish

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Apple's key products have all been inferior to competitors when first released (Mac was sealed and couldn't be upgraded, iPod was expensive with limited storage, iPhone was only 2G) but through marketing might they come to dominate (although not the Mac (he says typing away on one))
The Apple product factoid I like is that when they released their first laser printer, it was the most powerful computer they sold at the time

scudderfish

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
As regards Steve Jobs, he killed himself and possibly someone unknown. Pancreatic cancer normally kills within a year. He had a very rare form that is completely treatable with surgery if caught early enough. Instead of following conventional wisdom he thought he'd treat himself with a change of diet for 9 months, giving it time to get a foothold. He didn't avoid the surgeon needing a liver transplant and his digestive system completely redesigned. If he'd done that first, maybe someone else could have had the liver he wasted.

Irony

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Apple's key products have all been inferior to competitors when first released (Mac was sealed and couldn't be upgraded, iPod was expensive with limited storage, iPhone was only 2G) but through marketing might they come to dominate (although not the Mac (he says typing away on one))
The Apple product factoid I like is that when they released their first laser printer, it was the most powerful computer they sold at the time

I don't know that much about iPhones (I have a crap old old nokia but its a works phone and I don't pay the bill). I remember back in the day of the first iMacs when people were complaining about the lack of upgrade options. 90% of buyers never upgrade their computers. The non-upgradable macs were and are aimed at these people.

I don't recall any competitors to the 1st and 2nd generation iPods that came remotely close to the iPod/iTunes combo.

jeffw

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

+1

craig1410

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
As regards Steve Jobs, he killed himself and possibly someone unknown. Pancreatic cancer normally kills within a year. He had a very rare form that is completely treatable with surgery if caught early enough. Instead of following conventional wisdom he thought he'd treat himself with a change of diet for 9 months, giving it time to get a foothold. He didn't avoid the surgeon needing a liver transplant and his digestive system completely redesigned. If he'd done that first, maybe someone else could have had the liver he wasted.

I'm speechless! I look forward to watching you eat these disrespectful words when the actual truth comes out. Even if what you say is true (and I seriously doubt that it is...) who are you to second guess someone making decisions about their life when faced with losing it?

To accuse him of "possibly [killing] someone unknown" is the most ridiculous accusation I have ever heard!

Let's keep this respectful guys.

craig1410

posted on 6/10/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone hasn't seen Steve's Stanford commencement speech from 2005, I strongly recommend you take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sla1HyvpIdo

An excellent speech IMHO.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.