Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: inboard coilover geometry
loco-gt

posted on 9/10/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
inboard coilover geometry

Newbie alert! ...lots of questions and haven't even turned a spanner.

After years of excuses not to I'm finally ready to embrace the Locost experience.
Project idea: enclosed wheel GT/targa/roadster (not finalised yet but not a big fan of the elements when driving expecially as I live in reportedly the wettest county in England ...Lancashire) based on modified Haynes 7 chassis (i'm 6'5", 17 stone with size 12 boots) with MX5 single donor. As it happens after months of looking at my options and arriving at this basic outline I just saw Autocar run a road test on Ginetta's new roadgoing version of their G40r ...just served to concrete my idea as the best way to go, only hope mine does't cost the £28K Ginetta charge.

Question1: which springs

On the basis that the Haynes 7 has a finished curb weight of approx 550kg with the recommendation of 350 Lb per inch front/200 Lb per inch rear and an estimated weight gain of 200kg?, for chassis mods and full bodywork.

What would the spring rates have to be upgraded to (for a road car)?

Q2: suspension travel

Same Haynes 7 recommends coilovers with travel from 13" to 9" = 4".

How much of this travel is used just to absorb the standing curb weight of the car and how much remains for actual suspension movement to handle all of Englands roads wonderfull potholes?

Q3: Inboard mounted coilovers (yeah, the novice wants to go the high tech engineered route)

If I were to go this route utilising pushrods and bellcranks what affects would different orientations of the coilover offer (pros/cons)? eg: would a coilover mounted horizontally following the triangulated direction of the tunnel to the opposing corner help reduce torsion effects.
What if the coilover was inclined towards roof of the vehicle, or angled down to vehicle centre point at ground level ...would either have any affect on roll centre height?

Anyone built an inboard system and care to share specs?

Think that should do for now - appreciate any guidance/feedback

Sam_68

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Question 1: If you want to keep things comparable to the 'book' design, work out the suspension frequencies in cycles per minute for the 'original' design, then use these frequencies to calculate whatever spring rates you need for your own design... but don't forget that spring rate is very different to wheel rate, particularly if you're using a pushrod system, so you'll need to take into account the leverages to get to the wheel rates, before you can calculate the frequencies.

Question 2: As above; you can calculate these yourself, once you know the wheel rates. 'Static deflection' in itself is directly related to wheel rates and sprung mass, so if you keep the same static deflection, you'll also be keeping similar suspension frequencies; the late, great Arthur Mallock used 'stactic deflection' as one of his basic suspension design/tuning criteria for this reason.

Question 3(a) The main advantage of pushrods/pullrods is that you can make the leverages do pretty much what you want them to in terms of wheel deflection: damper compression ratios, rising rate, etc. There is an aerodynamic advantage on open wheel cars, too, but it's pretty trivial on something as crude as a traditional 'Seven' style car. Against these advantages you have to balance the additional weight and complexity of the set-up.

Question 3(b) Torsional effects/benefits: negligible. Chassis, road springs and tyres acts as springs in series with one another (road springs are damped, chassis is undamped and tyres aremostly undamped, except for the limited self-damping characteristics of the tyre carcase) ; torsional effects are therefore almost entirely related only to the basic dimensions (wheelbase/track) between the tyre contact patches versus the rates of these three sets of 'springs'. There as sometimes limited benefits to be gained in terms of finding structurally convenient load paths as a result of how you react the loads from the coilovers and bellcranks, but there's limited effect on the overall torsional stiffness.

Question 3(c) Positioning of the coilover has no effect on the roll centre: the geometric roll centre is dictated only by wishbone geometry.

Get yourself a copy of Staniforth's 'Competition Car Suspension', if you haven't done so already: it gives you the information you need to answer all of the above questions (and the formulae to calculate spring frequencies).

loco-gt

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer, though must admit am rather disappointed to hear there are so few benefits (in terms of a low budget build for the road rather than professional track car) for the cons of weight and complexity and the added cost.
will have to reconsider wether apropriate for this build.
Will lookout for that particular book title - Thanks again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.