Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin hood s7 iva-able?
theduck

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Robin hood s7 iva-able?

If I was to acquire an almost complete robin hood s7 is there anything particular I would need to be aware of in order to get it through an iva?

It's been built using all new parts many moons ago, but at the moment have presume proof isn't available so would be Q plated.

I suppose I need to know if there is any inherent design issues that would fail iva and can these be overcome?

Antnicuk

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is the S7 the one with the stainless steel monocoque chassis? if so, i put one through the SVA about 8 years ago that i bough part built. It was grief and failed on things like support for the steering rack not being man enough and a few other chassis bits that the examiner didnt like. I went back after strengthening the various points by reinforcing them and it passed. They are not a very good car to be honest. I phoned robin hood to ask why the body work was different each side and they told me my expectations were too high.......

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

theduck

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it's the monocoque chassis, sounds like iva would be rather problematic then if you had trouble with sva!
dave r

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ask questions on rhocar.org

you will get the answers you need there
dave

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Andi

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ask on the RHOCAR website
linky loo loo

They`ll know the bits and bobs.

Andi

snapper

posted on 15/10/11 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
IVA is very similar to SVA.
I put an S3a through 3 years ago, no real problems.
Main issue was seat belt mounting height solved by welding a cross bar to the roll bar at the correct height.
Steering mount needed some reinforcing, simple.
Seat belt lower mounts needed large load spreading plates.
I had to radius the lower edge of the dash.
Apart from that it was quite straight forward.
The front suspension which is very similar to the original Lotus 7 with track control arm and anti roll bar is to stiff, I've changed to tie bars/ compression struts, a simple modification that makes a world of difference.
All the info you will ever need is on the RHOCaR site.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

robinj66

posted on 15/10/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I put a Sierra based S7 through the SVA a couple of years ago. I used the supplied roll bar but I think it might have been thicker than the factory supplied one. I made up my own stays for the roll bar and welded in harness mounts so they would meet the height criteria.

I had two re tests (3 testers) before it passed - I had to strengthen the pedal box mounts to overcome flex. Ditto re steering column mount. I used extra plate to strengthen the lower harness mount sites. I did not have a screen fitted (still don't).

There may have been a couple of other things but as Paul says, reasonably straightforward.

theduck

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. So how much would you pay for an almost complete, running s7 on sierras running gear and a 2.0 pinto?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.