Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A question for the mobile phone geeks :-)
RazMan

posted on 16/10/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
A question for the mobile phone geeks :-)

I just bought an iphone on eBay and when it arrived it had some screen damage which wasn't in the description so I asked the seller about it. He said it was perfect when it was sent so I emailed him a pic which clearly showed the damage (which couldn't have been caused by rough handling and had been there for quite a while by the look of it)

He refused to believe that the damage was his fault so we were left at stale mate. He then continued to say things about the phone that could not have been true - how it was packed, there were screen protectors fitted etc, and then accused my of trying to con him! It was obvious to me that he could not be trusted to refund me if I was to return the phone and enter a dispute with eBay / Paypal until I got a refund so I therefore decided to get the phone repaired, at the same time asking if he (the seller) would contribute towards the repair. His answer was .... well, just abusive so I decided to call it a day and just leave negative feedback for him.

He is now threatening to block the phone unless I withdraw the negative feedback - can he actually do this?

What should I do to safeguard my legitimate purchase?

[Edited on 16-10-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ash_hammond

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
new screens are avalible:

http://www.replacebase.co.uk/apple-iphone-3g-replacement-lcd-screen-151-p.asp

take it up with ebay, you have proof this wanker is being unreasonable.

morcus

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Send everything he's said to you to ebay and try and get your money back.

Or you could just go and beat him up, it's your call.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ash_hammond

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Send everything he's said to you to ebay and try and get your money back.

Or you could just go and beat him up, it's your call.

I like option 2

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Ninehigh

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
If he has the IMEI number then yes he can, however if you can prove he sold it to you (and thus it's not stolen) I'm sure the block can be removed

RazMan

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify - I am happy to repair the phone myself as the parts are not too expensive. I am mostly peed off with his 'not my fault' attitude and threats to block the phone.

If he actually has the IMEI number I understand that he MIGHT be able to block the phone but doesn't he have to go via a police incident number or something? Unfortunately, although I can prove that I bought a phone on eBay, there is nothing linking it to THIS phone (serial or IMEI) so unblocking will probably take some time wouldn't it?

p.s. Option 2 would certainly help my stress levels though ;-)

[Edited on 16-10-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, you'd be surprised how effective it can be to simply tell someone your considering beating them up. But don't quote me on that.

I would imagine ebay has some system to deal with people like this so even if you don't want to send it back and have your money back I'd still report them as having a feedback system is useless if people are going to abuse it in this way.

If he's in North Wales I'm sure my brother would be willing to pay him a visit.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SteveWalker

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Just to clarify - I am happy to repair the phone myself as the parts are not too expensive. I am mostly peed off with his 'not my fault' attitude and threats to block the phone.

If he actually has the IMEI number I understand that he MIGHT be able to block the phone but doesn't he have to go via a police incident number or something?

We gave my wife's old (but as new) phone to our nephew recently. Within a few days he told us it had been stolen. We suspected that he had sold it as he's a complete w****r. Anyway, despite him being on pay as you go, he was with the same provider as we'd had, as it was not unlocked from the network, so simply I called, told them the situation, quoted the IMEI and it was blocked there and then. They asked me to give them a password and told me that it would not be unblocked without that password being quoted.

[Edited on 16/10/11 by SteveWalker]

samjc

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Contact ebay, paypal and the police with a log of everything and worse case cinario demand a refund and never change the feedback.as its theif to.help others from these dicks.
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 17/10/11 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
TBH, you'd be surprised how effective it can be to simply tell someone your considering beating them up. But don't quote me on that.

Ooppps sorry I just did quote you on that !!!!

And from words like posted above you would obviously be very suprised how stupid and counter productive it can be, if you say it to the wrong person !!

(the only thing it does do is prove some think with their little brain more than their big brain, these are usually the ones who wake up in A&E thinking W.T.F)

If someone was to say that to me, bring it on would be the reply, and you had better make the first hit count, cause if you dont mine certainly will be delivered with the intent that its either you or me leaving in an ambulance !!!

Calmly email said user, making him aware that his threats are in breach of e-bay's policies and thank him for providing all the evidence ebay (or the police) requires to deal with him, and that unless he ceases & desists with said Kno*head behavior that you will hand all the evidence that he was so kind to provide you with over to e-bay/police.

so the best thing to do would be to avoid violence and not get into a pi**ing contest, and give him the chance to back off, if he fails to comprehend just how stupid he has been then hand the problem of him threatening to block the phone over to E-Bay ,make sure its all logged as a complaint about a user showing provable threatening behavior towards you via email.

E-Bay has a huge policy with regards to this matter and will take such threats seriously, as if he has provided written evidence that he would carry out his threat to block the phone, he has admitted his intention to commit a crime.

E-bay will ask for proof of the emails with threatening content (you must provide those with their respective full headers)

And you don't need to worry about how to prove you have not swapped the phone, as common sense dictates that if the phone you have in your possession suddenly gets blocked, 2+2= 4 as said user has already provided documentary evidence that he will block the phone, this leads to the logical conclusion that if he was able to approach the phone provider to have it blocked, he must have had access to this phone in the first place, a phone which he has provably sold you, thus the flow of events prove that you have the telephone that he sold you.

It's simple if you think about it and approach it in a logical manner and throw the stupid idea of beating anyone up out the window. if your going to f**k the guy over do it 100 % and in a smart manner.

You can take him down without lifting a finger, but by using intelligence, knowing you just butt f**ked him, nothing will stick in his throat more than knowing he tried to threaten you, and that you stood up to him, laughed and told him to take his best shot, and when he understands that said best shot a was a waste of time you can relax and smile.

Work smarter not harder.

[Edited on 17/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

RazMan

posted on 17/10/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Very eloquently put Hector - ta very much.

I have decided to simply report the matter to eBay for the time being and just play the waiting game - the baseball bat stays in the cupboard for now

Cheers,
Raz

gingerprince

posted on 17/10/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Should have just filed a 'not as described' claim with eBay and you'd have got your money back. His funds would immediately be frozen in paypal and you would get yours back. EBay always sides with the buyer. I know, I sold a 130quid video recorder in perfect order which when it arrived had an issue suggesting the buyer had put 240v through the Usb port or something. No way I could prove it so now he has my money and i jave a broken recorder...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.