Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin Hoop Roll Bars
Stuart Walker

posted on 8/8/04 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Twin Hoop Roll Bars

Hi,

Ive bought a part finished Locost project, with the Chassis complete. Thing is it doesnt have a roll bar on it, and I want to fit twin hoops (with supports down into the rear compartment if you know what i mean), does anyone know where i can get a set of these to fit the Locost (I cant weld but i know a man who can!)?

Cheers guys,

Stu

[Edited on 8/8/04 by Stuart Walker]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom_loughlin

posted on 8/8/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know, lolocost do them - was looking through a robin hood catalogue (dont ask!!) the other day, and they advertised them.

Cobra style hoops

check out the link to see if they are what your after.

i havent seen a car with the back supports on though (im sure someone will have done though), but they shouldnt be too hard to fabricate.

£30 for a pair in balck, they may need trimming at the bottom though.

Stuart Walker

posted on 8/8/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Found it!

Thanks Tom, they look pretty good.
I've found a picture on my computer of what i want, think its off here, but i cant remember whos car it is! Anyone recognise it so i can get in touch?

Thanks!

Pic 1

Pic 2

[Edited on 8/8/04 by Stuart Walker]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/8/04 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
same colours as alans but not his i think, must fly with a zx12 though!

those twin hoops from lolocost are very cheap! might get a pair for mine. any guesses how high they are? 12 inch wide so maybe 18 high? id worked out i wanted 20 inches.

the cheapest bar is £25!!!

[Edited on 8/8/04 by JoelP]

Dale

posted on 8/8/04 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of the twin hoops,but would make it difficult in making a top if you ever decided to go that route. Any ideas on getting past this issue would be nice.
Thanks
Dale

Lars

posted on 8/8/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
i had a look at the hoops from lolocost a while ago, they do need to be cut to size

i think the only problem really is mounting them, which is why i'll go for a standard one.

Stuart Walker

posted on 8/8/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone seen them on the new R**** H*** Lightweight? Look pretty good, supports and everything, a bit yellow for my liking though...

Bars

tom_loughlin

posted on 8/8/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
i know what you mean about the hoops making things hard for any sort of roof to mount too, but i am not bothering with a windscreen, so thought id go the whole hog and have a roll bar i like the style of - and be a bit different.
keith

posted on 8/8/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
twin hoop roll bars.

we used lolocost hoop bars on tiger avon,cut them down,welded nut onto plate drill hole weld plate in bottom bolt upwards through top rail job done.
Hellfire

posted on 9/8/04 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
anyone considered MK Engineering. Martin is now into tube manipulation and does exhausts and everything bendy tube type thingy!

JoelP

posted on 9/8/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
worth a call i guess, but i cant see them beating £25 from lolololol thingy. snoopy, if you see this, how much roughly is a simple bent bar from MK? lets assume no plates, bolts or stays, just a bent tube of the cheapest material? ta...

Ian Pearson

posted on 10/8/04 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Stuart,

I've a pair of Lolo hoops that I never used. Postage up to you would probably be prohibitive, but if you know anyone down this way, let me know?

Regards, Ian.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
just a bent tube of the cheapest material? ta...

Papier mache?
Not convinced that skimping on material quality for this part is a good idea...

Stuart Walker

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ian... your bars!

Hi Ian, any idea how much they weigh? If theyre under 30kg they should only be a tenner to post. How much did you want for them?

Cheers,
Stu

JoelP

posted on 10/8/04 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Papier mache?
Not convinced that skimping on material quality for this part is a good idea...

well, my best idea so far was platted spaghetti, dried out for a few days...

Peteff

posted on 11/8/04 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Penne pasta would be better, much thicker wall and better diameter or you could roll your own lasagne.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wjggregg

posted on 20/8/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
On the twin style cobra hoops - look at my posting under 'cobra hoops'. This is how I have done it - works damm well in my opinion.

On the subject of supply - I wanted something a bit different (very like the lightweight LoLocost !!) so I designed my own and got Marc at MNR to bend them for me (£115 delivered !!!!). Must say, an absolutely fabulous job !!!

Gary

JoelP

posted on 20/8/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
this was my other option, however, with twin hoops you dont really need them designing, provided the height is sufficient, cos i just spaced mine out to cover the entire width. I ended up getting twin hoops from lolocost for £30. price sealed it in the end.

marc n

posted on 20/8/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
glad your pleased with them gary

photoshop of drawing

made in 45mm x 2.64mm cds Rescued attachment roll-hoop---mnr-custom-hoop.jpg
Rescued attachment roll-hoop---mnr-custom-hoop.jpg

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.