Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd: Defender90
couch22k

posted on 19/10/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd: Defender90

Hi All

I am on the look out for a Land Rover Defender 90.

Must have a 200/300 Tdi any age considered and looking to spend around £3000 or a little more for the right vehicle. Van or County Spec.

Live in Doncaster put would travel around 80 miles for the right one.

Winter is on the way and the Beemer isnt the best in the snow.

Cheers

Steve

hillbillyracer

posted on 19/10/11 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had a BMW & you're right they are not a good vehicle on a slippy road! However neither is a Landrover, or many other 4x4s, particularly short wheel base ones! They do have more traction for getting the power down with all 4 wheels driving as opposed to 2 driving & 2 needing dragged/pushed but the handling is a let down, the high centre of gravity cant help.
If you have need of a Landrover or just plain want one then fair enough but if you're looking to do the job of the BMW but with good ability in the snow how about a Scooby Legacy? 3k would buy something fairly nice. I had an old Scooby estate & it was fantastic in the snow, had to be 8"+ deep before it'd start to lose out to a more traditional 4x4.

owelly

posted on 20/10/11 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Not too sure I agree with you Kev (Hillbilly)! Having had several Landys, they are bloomin good in the snow, although that depends on the tyres of course. My Range Rover had almost bald 245/45/20 tyres and it was very very crap in the snow. Even road biased 4x4 tyres are better than your normal everyday road tyres. But I do get what you're saying about 'wanting' a Landrover. They are a massive compromise for everything other day when you're not using it as a Landy. For that reason, I'd be wanting a Discovery/P38 Rangey over a 90/series, a Freelander over any of those (unless you want to pull 3500kg). You'll pay the 'Tonka Tax' for the 90/Series stuff and you'll get more Disco/Rangey for your money, plus you won't have to live with a bruised right elbow.
Any AWD road car would be better than the BMW (and better than many 'soft roaders' as long as you fit proper M+S tyres (not from Marks and Sparks).

[Edited on 20/10/11 by owelly]

[Edited on 20/10/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 20/10/11 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote

5 Litre V 8 Land Rover - Range Rover Defender 90 Hybrid, 500+bhp | eBay

[Edited on 20/10/11 by scudderfish]

samjc

posted on 20/10/11 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I second the 4wd scooby as a friend had one after issues in the snow with his crazy tuned astra and it was so much fun dont recal him ever missing work or over time for that matter 6days 6am start hed pick me up n it was harder to walk up the street than it was for his to drive to work in fresh snow. My money would be on scooby even tho id like a landy 90
couch22k

posted on 20/10/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments, but it has to be a 90. Just because i love them and have just finished rebuilding my brothers.

Plus at £250 for insurance and a price that is unlikely to drop in the short time i will keep it.

Cheers

Steve

Peteff

posted on 20/10/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
My V reg Kia Sportage went everywhere in up to 18" of snow last winter and never failed to get where I wanted. If it got stuck in 2WD just pull the little lever back and away it went. I know it's not a cool car but it was cheap and it does the job I've been helping on a Land Rover series IIA which now has a new galv chassis and a 200tdi engine fitted and they are a niche (not nice ) vehicle.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.