Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avon Donor
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 20/10/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Avon Donor

Hi Gents

As it looks like im coming back to Europe !!! my mind is racing towards another build, I've done a 7 style body before and fancy the feeling of a "full bodied" car, I recently stumbled upon the new body for the Tiger Avon (pics below) now I like the Avon .. But I would like to update the running gear from the now severely aging Sierra.

So whats the contenders for a new donor ? I was thinking along the lines of re-engineering the chassis to accept running gear from a MX5 any comments or advice ?

Im desperately trying to find my copy of how to build an avon book !!! I have one but where is the question ?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Bluemoon

posted on 20/10/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Like the look but I think I would consider the Fury.. I think it's Just a different body on top of the Avon, so the chassis is not as optimal as it could be i.e. your wasting space in the engine bay ect..

Dan

scootz

posted on 20/10/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I like that...

It's Evolution Baby!

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/10/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
There was talk a year or two back of Tiger doing a MX5 based Avon - but not sure if they bothered developing further.
Maybe now they've given the Avon a new lease of life as it were, with the optional full body they'll now consider it?
Anyway, I'm going to the Exeter show on Sunday and assuming Tiger are bothering to attend, I'll ask.

adithorp

posted on 20/10/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think they used a Fury as the donor! The bit's they have altered (around the cockpit) are a bit clumsy IMO. Underneath it looked like a standard Avon chassis at Stoneleigh. still had the original light brackets under the bonnet.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

wombat

posted on 20/10/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Working just down the road from the new premises, I can confirm it is a standard Avon underneath.
There is an additional charge for extra brackets to fix in place.
Standard body is about 720 + vat (Make sure you get the new mould version)
GTA body about 1200 I think.

laptoprob

posted on 24/10/11 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Im desperately trying to find my copy of how to build an avon book !!! I have one but where is the question ?

Heres your book LINKY

[Edited on 24/10/11 by laptoprob]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

sheepish0001

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but have you looked at the Newish MEV thats based on the MX-5 and is a closed Top

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_gallery.htm

Shaun

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sheepish0001
Just a thought but have you looked at the Newish MEV thats based on the MX-5 and is a closed Top

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_gallery.htm

Hi

Yes I looked at that and I thought that someone had used the clams from a Lotus Elise and modded them to suit the MX-5 .

And while I really really really do like the look of the MEVX5, I want to build another kit car..... I do not want to fit a "body kit" to a crusty MX-5 which is what this essentially is.

Now if they offered this body with the MX-5 as the single donor on a space-frame chassis, I feel they would be onto a winner, then I would consider it.

But thank you very much for your input it is greatly received.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

werami

posted on 29/10/11 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a NB model mx5 motor and box to my avon, had to move one bar over and made a new bonnet and nose cone, there are picture of it somewhere here
Cheers Thierry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.