Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hovercraft racing ?
Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hovercraft racing ?

Anyone any experience, came across it many moons ago when I stumbled upon an event, stuck in my mind I would fancy a go sometime, now may be the time, anyone ?
foskid

posted on 20/10/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon, yes give it a go, it's great fun. I built a couple of Cyclone craft in the 80's just for cruising.
It can be as cheap or expensive as you like, just like the locost cars.
A good starting point to start would be "The hovercraft club of Great Britain"

www.hovercraft.org.uk You will get all the help and advice you need there.

Best of luck, John

tegwin

posted on 21/10/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I was fairly involved with the HCGB (hovercraft club of GB). Built a couple of cruising craft and went to some of their events. Lets just say the arrogance of most of the people I came across put me off big time. There are some very clever people in the club, there are also (or were) a large number of tossers... Being rude to my face about the fact my craft was "homebuilt" rather than a shiny multi thousand pound fibreglass jobbie... It was a pretty damn good effort for an 18 yearold without any help.

Always fancied having a go at racing, but couldnt stomach the people in the club...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

foskid

posted on 21/10/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Tegwin, it's a shame that you had a bad experience of HCGB like that, but you get that kind of thing in all sorts of clubs especially if Sailing, Golf ,Caterham, Hunt and Gentlemens etc features somewhere in the title.

That aside the technical, spares, sales and general info side of it is well provided for. Scrutineers can be a pain if your going racing but they don't need to see cruising craft at all, plus there is no IVA to contend with and you really don't have to put up the knob-heads and the anal retentive chaps if you don't want to. That is the only reason I suggested the HCGB in the 1st place.

Cheers, John.

[Edited on 21/10/11 by foskid]

paul Irvine

posted on 21/10/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hovercraft

If anyone need to know the basics

PS, it's who I work for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwRtT7NKWQ

Jon Ison

posted on 21/10/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmmmm, cant be doing with that type of snobbery, done a bit of googling on the subject will maybe find a localish event and go take a look, there seems to plenty offering flying experiences so maybe try one of them also.

A quick look on fleabay found a few for sale obviously need to learn a lot more before considering purchasing one but one add stood out, by a manufacturer and spent more time slagging off the competition than promoting their own product, needles to say they would not be on my wish list and it fits in with so of what is said above.

mad-butcher

posted on 21/10/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fcuk Me, reminds me of one or two on here, especially Jon's comment.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 23/10/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul Irvine
If anyone need to know the basics

PS, it's who I work for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwRtT7NKWQ

Paul

We share similar tastes in cars.

I've had a Star and a Leader.
Also a GTM K3.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.