Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home brewing wheat beer
splitrivet

posted on 22/10/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Home brewing wheat beer

I know theres a few home brewers on here, since a recent trip to the hovel in France got a taste for wheat beer (hoegarden, leffe etc). But its mucho dinero to buy here, anyone recommend a kit to brew it up myself that they would recommend.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

BenB

posted on 22/10/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking a can of goo type brew or a partial mash or a full mash? I'm not aware of a can of goo hoogarden type beer but then they're the work of the devil anyway. There are definately PM and FM clones of Hoegarden (or however you spell it!)...
splitrivet

posted on 22/10/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Think its a can of goo Munsters do one here linky as do a few other firms just wondered if anyones had a go or a goo as the case may be.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 22/10/11 by splitrivet]

MK9R

posted on 22/10/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bob (http://www.furybusa.org.uk/blog/) who also posts on here has just done some really nice homebrew thats got that sweet hoogarden taste, its a dark ale rather than the pale cloudy stuff but tastes very good. i'll direct him to this post, see if he can help. Only problem is he's currently getting through his equally as good 10 gallons of homebrew cider so fairly incoherent

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 22/10/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cains (Liverpool) do a wheat beer that ain't half bad.
Their Double Bock (8%) is definately the dogs.
Recommend you sip it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

BobM

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'm about to start >this one<. I'll be adding some of >this spraymalt< instead of adding sugar. Not made it before but I like Hoegaarden and Leffe etc.

Not very Locost but very BEC

splitrivet

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
I'm about to start >this one<. I'll be adding some of >this spraymalt< instead of adding sugar. Not made it before but I like Hoegaarden and Leffe etc.

Read someplace else about using spraymalt so I'll give it a go.
Would you recomend barrell or bottle found with barrell that the beer squirts out with such force that you get 1 inch of beer and six of froth and when the froth settles the beers flat as a pancake or have I done something wrong.
Cheers,
Bob

BobM

posted on 25/10/11 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Would you recomend barrell or bottle found with barrell that the beer squirts out with such force that you get 1 inch of beer and six of froth and when the froth settles the beers flat as a pancake or have I done something wrong.

I think most prefer it from the barrel, not sure why but I think you get better flavour. Also when it's bottled you have to be careful not to disturb the sediment when pouring.

Don't really know much about lager but most home brew isn't really supposed to be as fizzy as lots of the pub beer we're used to, compare it with beer pulled from a hand pump. The fizz in home brew is more to keep it conditioned to stop it going off. If it's very lively coming out of the barrel perhaps you've added a bit too much sugar when barrelling or the primary fermentation maybe wasn't totally complete.

Not very Locost but very BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.