Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: small engine autos?
swanny

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
small engine autos?

hello all,

have been looking for a car for my mother in law.

she needs an auto and probably something like golf/polo/auris/nissan note (10 k budget, three or less years old, low miles)

just wondered if anyone was aware of any issue with small engined diesels in particular (or petrols) . i know looking at ford focus c maxs for us we found that 1.6 diesels with a cvt box were a timebomb and a very expensive (£3k) failure. this problem was not present on the larger engined cars that used the same transmission.

just wondered if anyone on here was a ware of anything similar on these cars? or anything else to look out for?

thanks

Paul

britishtrident

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Simple avoid small diesels --- at the sub 1.4 litre size always go for petrol. Apart from the fact the combined purchase cost fuel economics have no advantage.

Also because modern diesels are fitted with particulate filters the maintenance cost on a modern diesel especially in short journey urban use can be much higher.

CVTs such as the Jatco CVT are problematic but this not present on larger cars because larger engine cars (ie above 1.6 litre) generally don't use CVT transmissions they use conventional automatics such as the Jatco 5 speed.

As regard the Nissan Note, remember Nissan Quality = Renault Quality.
My daughters Note has had 3 front wishbones, 2 front discs and sump in 30,000 miles. It also eats (quite expensive) front tyres at twice the rate of any of her previous cars.

[Edited on 27/10/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

les g

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
easy answer
HONDA JAZZ
my wife has had two from new both 1.4 petrol auto,s with torque converter not dsg
never ever ever ever went to the main dealer with a fault
only kept them 3 years each from new
did not spend a penny on either one of them except for service, front brakes and tyres.
An absolutely bomb proof car from our experience utterly reliable.

And from experience learnt the "hard way" please avoid the renault clio auto,s she had one of them from new..
Got too know the service manager really well at the main dealer ( first name terms come the end )............
nice drive but the bloody thing was always up on ramps
cheers les g

[Edited on 27/10/11 by les g]

morcus

posted on 27/10/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
My Gran has also had 2 jazzs both manuals though and I'd second getting one as older folk seem to love them. I thought the Auto was a CVT though.

A robotised manual will give you better fuel economy but it's not as smooth as a decent auto. don't bother with diesel.

I'd recommend having a look at brand new cars the class smaller as you'll get a warranty.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 28/10/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Only problem I have ever heard of on the Jazz is the power steering not properly centering perfectly ---- more an annoyance than a problem.

However if talking new cars I would be looking at Hyundai and Kia, Korean cars have advanced amazingly in the last 5 or 6 years, having recently hired both the Hyundai i10 and the latest Kia Rio I was very impressed.

[Edited on 28/10/11 by britishtrident]

morcus

posted on 28/10/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
and a massive warrantee on a Korean car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.