Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rollcage Side Protection
001Ben

posted on 30/10/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rollcage Side Protection

I currently have a 47mm cage fitted to the car , made form cds tube. I am looking for a little bit of side protection and purchased some tube to bend . Everytime i tried to bend it using the hydraulic pump ( machine mart type ) the pipe kinks, does anyone have any ideas how i can stop this from happening ?

Does the side protectiuon need to be this big, wouldIi be able to bend it any easier if i dropped down to 38mm/32mm? I am tying to avoid taking it somewhere to be bent as i am not too sure of the angle i want the bar.

[Edited on 30/10/11 by 001Ben]

gingerprince

posted on 30/10/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you fill the tube with sand before bending to keep it from kinking?
Ivan

posted on 30/10/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this helps - bend it yourself ignoring the kinks until you get it exactly right then take straight pipe to professional benders and it get it bent right to the sample you bent up (without the kinks this time)

Alternatively fill pipe with dry sand, weld up ends and then try bending it.

MikeR

posted on 30/10/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
machine mart sells a pipe bender. You've got cds tube. Their is a difference and hence it kinks.
001Ben

posted on 30/10/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
machine mart sells a pipe bender. You've got cds tube. Their is a difference and hence it kinks.

Ok,so what pipe/steel can a pipe bender bend and what is the best method to bend CDs at home.

MikeR

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
pipe benders bend pipe - the difference is how they're measured. Its something like (ie i'm not 100% sure). Pipe is measured by the ID of the tube and their is an expected thickness to the steel depending on the pipe size. Tube is measured by the OD and will cope with a few difference sizes of thickness.

ID = inside size - the empty space in the middle.
OD = the outside size measured directly from one side to the other.

To bend tube you need a tube dies if you're doing it properly. You *may* (again i'm not 100% sure but have heard it mentioned on here etc) get away with filling a tube with kiln dried sand, fixing both ends (gaffer tape is supposed to work for thin wall - you'll possibly have to weld). Make sure the bend is a bit away from the end and then try using the hydralic bender with a pipe die in. Don't try to bend too acute an angle if you're doing this. You make find you have to heat the pipe which will take a LOT of heat & then it weakens it making it (i think) technically illegal for motorsports as its annealed and not cold drawn any more.

Rod Ends

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tube bending with a Machine Mart pipe bender (with sand):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWT3N3m4bE4

001Ben

posted on 30/10/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
ok, sounds like i may have yo take it somewhere to be bent then if i want to keep the strength as it needs a bend about 120 degrees in it
Talon Motorsport

posted on 30/10/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Machine Mart sell PIPE benders not TUBE benders, the formers are far too flaired to bend thin walled tubing. The biggest tube former you will find is a 42mm hilmor/record conduit former. The formers are deep unlike the cheap pipe ones and hold the side walls of the tube stopping it from spreading and kinking.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.