Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gulf ZXR's CB500T Cafe Racer build diary
gulf zxr

posted on 5/11/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Gulf ZXR's CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Following on from Loco's CB500T Cafe Racer Build here's mine.

Bought the bike a month ago and by chance happened to run into Loco's thread during a Google search. I used to on here back in 2006when I was building a Locost but that had to go due to family commitments and lack of room at the time!!

Anyway here she is after a couple of days work....

[Edited on 5/11/11 by gulf zxr]

gulf zxr

posted on 5/11/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
She Runs.....

Well, after 16 years of sat doing nothing we put some fresh petrol in and gave her a couple of kicks and she just fired up and purred

Electric start won't work as we've just found out the 3 centrifugal started clutch springs have lost their strength and won't push the rollers onto the crank. I think it may be as simple as just finding some small springs with a little more strength or failing that a new set for around £25.

Awaiting for a cafe racer seat to arrive then just got to think about moving the pegs back towards the rears and then strip down and think about paint colours. At the moment thinking along the lines of the 1960's Honda RC166 type red/green silver with red tank and seat green side panel and silver front mudguard.

To be continued...........

locoR1

posted on 5/11/11 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Jason! will watch with interest.

By the looks of all your shiny bits you should be finished way before me.

Ref the starter clutch mines the same would engage initially but then the starter just spins, sounds like it was a week point with them judging by the comments i have read, good job i intend to dump the starter anyway to save some weight

Keep us posted.

Dave...

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

gulf zxr

posted on 5/11/11 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Nice one Jason! will watch with interest.

By the looks of all your shiny bits you should be finished way before me.

Ref the starter clutch mines the same would engage initially but then the starter just spins, sounds like it was a week point with them judging by the comments i have read, good job i intend to dump the starter anyway to save some weight

Keep us posted.

Dave...

Hi Dave,

Yep, does sound like a weak point.

David Silvers do replacement springs and cups for around £12.00 so not to bad.

Back soon....

dlatch

posted on 6/11/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
two cafe racer builds
will be watching closely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gulf zxr

posted on 6/11/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
two cafe racer builds
will be watching closely

Go on, you know you want one, go and find another CB500T and make it 3

gulf zxr

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Not done much except remove the old exhausts and start to mount the new rearsets. The rearsets were taken from a 1998 Yamaha R1, the main reason for this was the fact that the gear lever needs to be activated from above as there did not appear to be enough room below for linkage!!

Next job is new exhausts made from polished stainless 50mm tube with slash cut ends and fitted with 12" baffles. Centre stand has been removed to save more weight

gulf zxr

posted on 23/11/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Seat arrived today and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality

Got the rearsets almost finished now, just need to make a spacer and thread a bolt and there done

StevieB

posted on 23/11/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I'm loving the cafe racer projects that are turniing up on here recently.

I've got into bikes after selling my Indy and am planning either a flat tracker or cafe racer myself once I've finished rebuilding my off roader (a 1999 DT125R which will be sold on and replaced with a KTM in the spring/summer).

I can't decide which I'd prefer, so I'm on the look out for a shabby bonneville project as that's a good basis for either style once I've made a decision.

CB500's are looking good though

locoR1

posted on 24/11/11 at 02:54 AM Reply With Quote
That seat unit looks really good the hump looks a bit shorter than mine....tempted to chop mine about a bit more.

What’s your plan with rear light on the seat or under it? Think im probably going to go under was thinking about a round light recessed into the hump but decided it would spoil the look.

Rearsets are looking good as well.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

gulf zxr

posted on 24/11/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
That seat unit looks really good the hump looks a bit shorter than mine....tempted to chop mine about a bit more.

What’s your plan with rear light on the seat or under it? Think im probably going to go under was thinking about a round light recessed into the hump but decided it would spoil the look.

Rearsets are looking good as well.

Going for under seat rear light and number plate holder as I thought it would also ruin the smooth lines of the seat hump.

Rear sest may be finished tonight as in final mounting etc, pics to follow...

StevieB

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's a tracker rather than cafe, but the rear light and number plate on this XS I think would suit the style of bike very well - not sure if the number plate would be a pain with the rear sets you're using though.

gulf zxr

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can fit the plate to the side, I have already thought of that just to keep teh back end clean
gulf zxr

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Got the new pipes made up at work. 50mm 316 stainless hand polished. Got some baffles to fit and will have a trial fit and start tomorrow

[Edited on 11/12/11 by gulf zxr]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.