Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stupid question in the wrong section
spunky

posted on 10/8/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid question in the wrong section

Hi all,
this could be posted in 'running gear' section but is sod all to do with cars.
I understand how a diff works, but will a diff allow wheels to turn in opposite directions while under power?
Try again......
What I'm asking is, does a diff limit the turning circle of a vehicle to one wheel driven and the other static or wll it allow the vehicle to turn around the center point of the rear axle.
Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance
John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

locoboy

posted on 10/8/04 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
lost me

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 10/8/04 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I underetand what you're asking, but wouldn't like to hazard a guess ! You must either have a long wheelbase or need a very tight turning circle for this application..?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 10/8/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
come clean Spunky, what sort of idea have you got doing laps in your head?

Some insane plan must have prompted this question

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 10/8/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
how do those little kybota mini diggers with 4 wheels with tyres on that scrub a lot work?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 10/8/04 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
They have slewing levers to brake each side independently while the other side still drives, usually by hydraulic wheel motors I think. Some reduction diffs as used on artic units may do what you are asking.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

heinlein

posted on 10/8/04 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Almost 30 years ago my cousin had a tractor that had two levers; each one controlled the track on its respective side. You could spin it in its own length.
But to answer your question I don't think its possible to do with a differential.

When you're lying in the midst of the Afghan plains and the women come out to cut up the remains; just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your god like a soldier.

andyps

posted on 10/8/04 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
There is only one way to find out - build a really short wheel base car with a very tight turning circle. I think it maybe would turn both ways but am not sure. Need more thinking time.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

spunky

posted on 10/8/04 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas for those inconclusive replies
I've given it some more thought and still drawn a blank.
With one wheel locked the other will turn at double speed. If the turning radius was decreased further to less than than wheelbase then on wheel is required to rotate 'backwards' I can see no reason why this would not simply increase the speed of the opposing wheel proportionately. But doesn't sound right to have opposite wheel rotation.

Curious innit.

John

Viper

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Something for robot wars?

spunky

posted on 10/8/04 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
Something for robot wars?

You're on the right lines.
I'm actually making preparations for my fancy dress costume for New Year.
Picked up a motorbilty scooter yesterday ready for chopping it up.
A shame really, it has alloy uprights all round, rear live axle with alloy diff and axle, front wishbone suspension and split rim alloy wheels

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to know the answer to the question, I just tried it and yes, the diff allows wheels to turn in opposite directions. So spinning on the axis is possible.....Yippee

John

carcentric

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Spunky John -

That sounds right, because when you jack up the rear end of a RWD car with an open diff and spin the propshaft, each drive wheel turns in a different direction.

That's how I test to see if a donor has a LSD - if it does, both drive wheels turn in the same direction under the circumstances above.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Bob C

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If the centre of rotation is in he middle of the back axle, there's no way you can make the turn happen under power from the prop, cos in this case it's impossible to turn the prop! I dare say you can get quite close to it though.
You see what I mean - if the axis is in the middle the inner wheel will go EXACTLY as far backwards as the outer wheel goes forwards. Put another way, to do it on a trike the front wheel would have to be exactly at 90degrees to the way the back axle's pointing - you ain't going nowhere!
cheers
Bob

hortimech

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
ned, the kubota mini diggers with tyres on are actually small tractors fitted with backhoes and loaders. the reason they can turn so fast and tight is the front axle changes gear as you turn and the front end pulls you round.

Why does everything happen to me

JoelP

posted on 10/8/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
it wont work, cos when the wheels are turning in opposite directions at the same speed, the prop isnt turning. If you turn it, you will move forward or back. However, if you have the equivalent of a FWD bow thruster it would turn...

Stuart Walker

posted on 10/8/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think it would only work without power (ie. the wheels turning each other - no prop movement), but once the prop has power i reckon it wouldnt work.

Bear in mind this is based on a highly (in)conclusive test with a remote control car and could be wrong...........

spunky

posted on 10/8/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
it wont work, cos when the wheels are turning in opposite directions at the same speed, the prop isnt turning. If you turn it, you will move forward or back. However, if you have the equivalent of a FWD bow thruster it would turn...

Thats what I thought Joel, but it appears to work. the diff internals turn to compensate for the direction and speed differences.
I agree that to spin around the centre the rear axle is probably unlikely as the steering would need to be perpendicular to the driven wheels but you should get close.
Only one way to find out for sure and thats get building....

john

hortimech

posted on 11/8/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
to spin around in circle you need two power sources, one wheel goes one way, the other goes the other. try driving a zero turn mower, they are great fun

Why does everything happen to me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.