Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse gearbox + overdrive coming soon from the states
yahshuatwo

posted on 11/11/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
reverse gearbox + overdrive coming soon from the states

Hi All BEC enthusiast,

I'm developing a reverse gearbox + overdrive (the RBox) for BEC owners world-wide. In the states, not only is there great demand for a reverse gearbox solution for BEC cars but also overdrive to reduce the rpms down whilst crusing on the street. This make the BEC a more viable solution for on-track/street use. It has come to my attention that many prospective builders choose CEC locosts over BEC because CEC cruise a lower rpms < 3,000 as well as better low-end torque. Of course, BEC can't provide greater low-end torque than CECs, but its possible to reduce those high-rpms down for crusing. We all love the sequential-shifting, high-reving bike engines but can't stand the high-rpms while crusing on the street or on short trips @ 70 mph. Below is quick look on youtube:

RBox Demo

Ryan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 12/11/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've been looking for some kind of overdrive lately but everything seems wildly expensive or far too big. Your one looks like it could be just what I'm after. Any idea of cost and a rough completion date?
Ivan

posted on 12/11/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a winner - will the overdrive gears be helical as square cut could be very noisy?

Of course price will ultimately be the decider.

yahshuatwo

posted on 12/11/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at $1300-1400 USD and a ready date of early 2012'. I guess +- 650 euros for you guys? Box will use standard straight-cut (spur) gears to keep the cost down. I have a prototype (with reverse only) in my locoBusa and i don't hear 'whinning' gears as the car drives. Also, the design calls for a carbon-fiber cover and dual o-rings to prevent oil leakage.

[Edited on 12/11/11 by yahshuatwo]

[Edited on 12/11/11 by yahshuatwo]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 12/11/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think you got your conversion a bit wrong there it's going to be more like 1000 euros or £900. Why a corbon fibre cover? Once fitted it probably won't be seen again. It's going to be quite an expensive unit so why not try and keep costs down.
Dangle_kt

posted on 12/11/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
seems a great idea. It was the reason I hardly used by bec when I had it. Always fancied taking it to work, but couldnt hack an hour of

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

on the motorway

Is an overdrive ratio as big as that viable?

[Edited on 12/11/11 by Dangle_kt]

[Edited on 12/11/11 by Dangle_kt]

Neville Jones

posted on 12/11/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've been working on something very similar for myself for a while. Straight cut gears, although helical is not a lot more pricewise, and dog change. Straight drive 1:1, and overdrive to bring bike revs down to little more than car. ~1:1.3+/-

Cost of the gears and shafts I've been quoted at less than £120, made here in London. The casing is £45 for a batch of 10, then theres the machining and the shift yokes. If a man was resourceful, he could make the whole thing using gears from one of the Hewland or the ex-Staffs racing 'boxes, for little more cost.

Should end up well under £400.

I'll be doing it when I get my little bike engined project moving early next year. I wouldn't be looking to make these boxes commercially, but if the demand is there...

Configuration will be with double input and output bearings, specifically for use parallel to the engine crank and chain drive.

I know I could get the gears made cheaper in USA, and where to go, but they want big batches(>100) so how matey is getting his pricing I do not know. £900 + freight, then VAT. Costs don't compute.

Cheers,
Nev.

Minicooper

posted on 12/11/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
I've been working on something very similar for myself for a while. Straight cut gears, although helical is not a lot more pricewise, and dog change. Straight drive 1:1, and overdrive to bring bike revs down to little more than car. ~1:1.3+/-

Cost of the gears and shafts I've been quoted at less than £120, made here in London. The casing is £45 for a batch of 10, then theres the machining and the shift yokes. If a man was resourceful, he could make the whole thing using gears from one of the Hewland or the ex-Staffs racing 'boxes, for little more cost.

Should end up well under £400.

I'll be doing it when I get my little bike engined project moving early next year. I wouldn't be looking to make these boxes commercially, but if the demand is there...

Configuration will be with double input and output bearings, specifically for use parallel to the engine crank and chain drive.

I know I could get the gears made cheaper in USA, and where to go, but they want big batches(>100) so how matey is getting his pricing I do not know. £900 + freight, then VAT. Costs don't compute.

Cheers,
Nev.

Matey as you call him, is pricing the unit at £900 to make a profit, I don't anyone who makes stuff and sells it at cost

David

yahshuatwo

posted on 13/11/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Te I know I could get the gears made cheaper in USA, and where to go, but they want big batches(>100) so how matey is getting his pricing I do not know. £900 + freight, then VAT. Costs don't compute.

Well, at this point of the design phase there are no custom hobbed gears which costly in small quantities. That's why the overdrive ratio is rather high. Ww will finish assembly, test the box and then re-assess the overdrive ratio, and perhaps get the gears custom cut. I know of a USA business that provide custom gearing, just don't know the cost.

Davegst wrote

quote:

Tex Why a corbon fibre cover? Once fitted it probably won't be seen again. It's going to be quite an expensive unit so why not try and keep costs down. t

Although CF material costs are higher than an aluminum cast or alum formed boxed, the CF labor cost will be nothing because I'll do the CF lay-up in-house.
in my shop. Lay-up will use the typical vacuum and baking technique. Casting the cover and the machining edges/faces is costly and wasteful. Sheet metal forming and bending the cover is very efficient but that task has to be outsourced.

The bearing housings are casted and machined to tolerance and that's it as far as outsourcing, all remaining will be done in-house

Davegtst

posted on 13/11/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Really looking foward to this. Do you have any photos?
stevebubs

posted on 13/11/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Would be interested in how well this works out - the Z cars equivalent never made it past the prototype as it kept ripping itself apart.
yahshuatwo

posted on 13/11/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Lookup "Yahshuatwo" channel on youtube for pics , vids
Neville Jones

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Matey as you call him, is pricing the unit at £900 to make a profit, I don't anyone who makes stuff and sells it at cost
David

[SOAPBOX OUT]

At £400, I'd make a FAIR profit. Not a ripoff!!! The world wide market for these is small, and is not something that I'd try to base a business on, so I wouldn't even try.

I'll do what I want for myself, as I've explained to those interested in u2u, and if others want them, I may make for them at what I consider a fair price. I've already stated my total disdain for the motor racing industry and its grossly inflated selling prices when related to costs.

Why does a low end racing transaxle cost over £4k, when it costs about £500 to make in the numbers they do? Because everyone has been strung along to believe that that's what it costs, and the mugs then believe it!!! CFRP HANS devices at £700, when they could be sold at £150 and decent profits still be made?????

[/SOAPBOX OUT]

[I'll do the CF lay-up in-house. in my shop. Lay-up will use the typical vacuum and baking technique.]

I've made carbon gearcases( and driveshafts and bellhousings and manifolds and pressure vessels and ...) here since 1987, and can tell you, and everyone reading this, that a handlayup vacuumed and baked item just will not do the job! End of discussion, it just plain won't survive!!!

I've tried all the alternatives, made the (very big and costly) mistakes, and know that there is only one (relatively inexpensive) way to do the job properly.

Cheers, ?????

Nev.

yahshuatwo

posted on 14/11/11 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've made carbon gearcases( and driveshafts and bellhousings and manifolds and pressure vessels and ...) here since 1987, and can tell you, and everyone reading this, that a handlayup vacuumed and baked item just will not do the job! End of discussion, it just plain won't survive!!!

\

As with anything developed in this world, you try it out and if fails you try some thing different - you live and learn. But back to the pricing, it's fair relative to all the others out there, especially if it's 1) safe 2) durable 3) does what its expected to do.

For educational purpose, why did your CF products fail? Have there been success stories using CF? Yes there has been. Some one please tells me about the success stories and not so much about the failures - we can learn from failures though, but at the end of the day we all want to know what made it successful. I do understand that the consumer will always push new products to the limits and beyond - that's expected.

I'm even more curious about CF as the gearcase now!!

yahshuatwo

posted on 19/11/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
After much thought, I concluded that overdrive ratio was far too high on the RBox. The consensus and research convey that overdrive should be a 30% increase of the nomal 1:1 or as already stated ~1:1.30 +/ or .80 , mine will come in at 1:1.22. Much thanks to Chris Gamlin's BEC speed/ratio calculator. I was able to plug my new OD ratios using the calculator tool and things are looking bright for the RBox. I can change the gear arrangements and make slight mods without having to make custom gears ($$). Also, I pondered on the pricing of the unit and concluded I can get the price down a couple hundress dollars ($1000 USD) ~ (727 Euros) or (£622).
phelpsa

posted on 19/11/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yahshuatwo
quote:

As with anything developed in this world, you try it out and if fails you try some thing different - you live and learn. But back to the pricing, it's fair relative to all the others out there, especially if it's 1) safe 2) durable 3) does what its expected to do.

For educational purpose, why did your CF products fail? Have there been success stories using CF? Yes there has been. Some one please tells me about the success stories and not so much about the failures - we can learn from failures though, but at the end of the day we all want to know what made it successful. I do understand that the consumer will always push new products to the limits and beyond - that's expected.

I'm even more curious about CF as the gearcase now!!

F1 gear cases are CF and not all that complex even though they take suspension loads. As you say, for low volume the advantages (low tooling costs compared to cast and billet) could as good as balance out the disadvantages (being able to make sure you have suitable load paths, higher material costs). Don't let Nev put you off, but if you can extract some useful advice from him (quite difficult!) he does know what he's talking about.

yahshuatwo

posted on 19/11/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Lets not forget that the cf part is just a cover to contain the oil. No significant structural support or housing bearing radial loads. I do expect some torsen or twisting forces. I have 5 long socket cap screw bolts that sandwich the cover and bearing plates together like the old eurotech fr2000 reverse box did. My prototype box in my car uses the same concept, except it has a 3mm steel cover.
MikeFellows

posted on 20/11/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've got to be honest if this box works its worth the money

its £700 for a quaife box that has no over drive and leaks regularly (so im told). so at 900-100 it doesnt seem unreasonable

yahshuatwo

posted on 20/11/11 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I'm talking about mike! Quaife charges 900 pounds for reverse only.
Nick DV

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I made this statement 10 odd years ago, (and was 'demonised' for saying negative things about Quaife!), when these boxes started appearing on the BEC scene, and IMHO nothing's changed! Still think that both are too much money by far!!

Cheers, Nick

quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
I've got to be honest if this box works its worth the money

its £700 for a quaife box that has no over drive and leaks regularly (so im told). so at 900-100 it doesnt seem unreasonable

"The force will be with you, always!"

Neville Jones

posted on 20/11/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
My version will be more costly, now priced at £1200, with choice of overdrives(£1500), so is much better! Still won't cost more than a third of that to make. But, if the mugs want to pay, I'll take the money. Next April/may when I get to it. Already got designs and prices, still got to make the patterns for the box and external shaft supports.

Cheers,
Nev.

bobinspain

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Were I not a cynic Neville, I'd consider your riposte somewhat cynical.
Keep up the good work. No-one shall sleep so long as you police the technalia of this website.

Minicooper

posted on 20/11/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
My version will be more costly, now priced at £1200, with choice of overdrives(£1500), so is much better! Still won't cost more than a third of that to make. But, if the mugs want to pay, I'll take the money. Next April/may when I get to it. Already got designs and prices, still got to make the patterns for the box and external shaft supports.

Cheers,
Nev.

Why bother, you have nothing positive to add or even slightly constructive, so just get lost. I don't believe you ever come up with the goods in any form at any price. I will buy one of your boxes at £400, I don't need one but I would do it so it cost you money, it has to be a finished/tested and proved to be fit for purpose

Cheers
David

Nick DV

posted on 20/11/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why bother, you have nothing positive to add or even slightly constructive, so just get lost. I don't believe you ever come up with the goods in any form at any price. I will buy one of your boxes at £400, I don't need one but I would do it so it cost you money, it has to be a finished/tested and proved to be fit for purpose

Cheers
David

Surely, you cannot be serious!!

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 20/11/11 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

Toprivetguns

posted on 20/11/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck to the man and to anyone who can design something beneficial for all of us.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.