Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 0-60 BEC Times
IainL

posted on 13/11/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
0-60 BEC Times

What sort of 0-60 times do you get from your BEC.

I've got an Aries running a 919 fireblade with a Sierra LSD 3.92 diff and my first attempt was 6.5 seconds, now for the excusses slightly up hill, I'm still having problems getting it moving (not use to revving something that high!), c**p tyres and the car only passed IVA 4 weeks ago!

What should I be getting from this setup? This should give me something to work towards!

Cheers,
Iain

ReMan

posted on 13/11/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
4.5-5.0

Need to factor wheel/tyer size and weight of ar and driver though.
The crap tyres shouldnt affect it too much, youll soon warm them up :-)

you may find 3.93 is a bit short in the long run

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

daniel mason

posted on 13/11/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
You need to give it some revs and pretty much dump the clutch to get a really good launch

scootz

posted on 13/11/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't realise that bike-engined 7's could crack the 60mph mark!

It's Evolution Baby!

MakeEverything

posted on 13/11/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I didn't realise that bike-engined 7's could crack the 60mph mark!

LOL

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

tilly819

posted on 13/11/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
when mine was a super blackbird it used to do about 4.25 seconds with a 3.9 diff @ just over 500KG + driver

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

rf900rush

posted on 13/11/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
My Dax only managed 5 seconds with the RF900 engine. same sort of power as the early 900 blades.

Best 0-60's with the ZX12R is 4.4 seconds.
Getting going seems to be the problem.

I do not see the point trying to better the times any more. Don not want risk of busting the clutch.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not trying to be rude or take the p155, but anything over 6 secs for a bike engined car sounds very slow. With the old Furore with the Toyota 1.6 AGE lump (now sold long ago!), which was bog standard & pretty tired, I could just about hit the 6 second mark & the Furore is probs a little heavier than most 7's, certainly than a bike engined 7. I would have thought any bike engined 7 should be capable of a 5 sec or less 0 - 60 even with a fairly heavy driver & a high diff, & you have a very low diff, tho' you don't mention driver weight? With the ZZR1400 lump I can get sub 4 secs.

Part of the problem with BEC's is getting them off the mark, instead of an absolutely standing start (which abuses all mechanical parts) why not try a "just rolling" to 60 time, if it is dramatically better then there is probs nothing to worry about with your setup, it's more a matter of technique, & as has altready been said, if that's the case, why keep trying to improve, it will only break something sooner or later!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hicost

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Launch

Last month I did a morning up at Hedley Court in Surrey for the troops, myself and a few more exotica ended up giving rides from outside the hospital.

It has about a 3/4 mile straight outside. I was using Full Launch Control with 440bhp from a standing start on the limiter in first and second, times where around 3.2 seconds without using boost in gears control.

Using a traction lock diff, car try’s to go sideways for the first 10 meters then it’s gone. Even as the driver you feel you are pinned to the seat, never mind bringing it all under control for the bends at the end of the road.

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locobladeracer

posted on 13/11/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Having now raced my locoblade (929) for a year there is definitely a knack to getting them of the line. Having raced minis for years it’s much the same.

When your car is on the rollers find out where max torque occurs. Hold the revs at this point, mine is about 9000Rpm.

Then dump the clutch and control the initial wheel spin on the throttle do not back off to soon or it will bog. The trick is to get the wheels spinning; this will take some of the load of the clutch as it’s engaged.

You don’t want to go doing it at every set of lights but I have had minimal clutch trouble, running barrnet plates and springs with standard driven plates.

I race with a guy who has a radical SR3 and I beat him of the line regularly.

Your 0-60 times are all dependant on the start you get. Most 0-60 times are down to the driver.

BEC are quicker than CEC more often than not due to the speed of the gear change and lack of weight. My car gets realy slow when I stick someone else in it for a track day.

Hope this helps.

andyfiggy2002
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 10/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built megablade in 2004 & ive still got it

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
isnt 3.92 a bit high for rapid acceleration & more for top end speed?
amalyos

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
No, 3.9 would give you better acceleration and less top end.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

phelpsa

posted on 14/11/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
My GPS performace measurer thingy measured mine at 4.10 seconds. That was with 123bhp at the wheel and 520kgs (with driver etc) and on warm slicks.

fesycresy

posted on 14/11/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Although 3.92 should theoretically give you more acceleration, perhaps it doesn't.

What gear are you in when you hit 60? Too many changes, too much time in the wrong part of the rev range may be detremental.

A 3.62 or a 3.38 (recommended by racers such as Andy Bates) would be worth trying. I would get a 3.62 and go from there, I've been in a few 'blade cars and a 3.62 seems fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ReMan

posted on 14/11/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
3.62 should give you 60 in second , 3.92 might get it there a bit quicker as the 1st to 2nd is quite a big jump and takes the revs out of the best place on the 0.60 sprint IMHO, but there wont be much in it
But for a better top speed I'm moving to a 3.38 this winter, just might need the Mrs to get out for hill starts (ducks)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

IainL

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.

Hope I get another dry weekend to give it another go

Cheers,
IainL

scutter

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say you'd be well under 4.5, my st engine CEC can hit 4.7-4.9 and was before the last rolling road session.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Chet

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
3.1 0-60

Gen II Hayabusa powered Sylva J15 with custom 93 inch WB
445 kg

paublo999

posted on 17/11/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JVT_tO5ao&sns=em

I can give you an accurate 64ft time of 2 seconds. 2 seconds equates to 1g of acceleration. I would estimate 3.5ish with zx14 and soft slicks.

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.