Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1100 running issue
maccmike

posted on 13/11/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 running issue

Hi all, your expertise is required please.
Kwaki zzr1100 c1 91 approx 28k in my tadpole trike.
Bike was running a bit rich so as advised on here I put the correct bike fuel pump on max 2.3psi (previously it had a kit car 5psi pump fitted) ran much better but still a bit too rich, wet plugs.
Air filter panel was dirty so hand washed it, dried it put it back in. Ran perfectly, better than ever, for an entire day. Went to go back out in it the next day and it cut out a mile or so from home. I was coming to a round about at about a ton holding 3rd gear.
Thought not much of it as it restarted a few minutes later but this continued several more times until it just would not run. Got towed home.
Took carbs off, removed all jets, cleaned, put back together (werent particuarly dirty).
Tested fuel pressure - correct.
Changed plugs.
Built back up, noticed only then that fibres from the panel filter were coming away, figured this was the cause, cleaned air box.
Been trying to run it without the filter at stand still.
Starts fine on choke,
Idols fine for a few minutes.
Revs drop then cuts out.
Restarts no problem, pressing the throttle makes it choke a bit almost as if its fuel starvation, but with persistance it will rev up to red line, back fires and flames are coming out of exhaust, not had this before!
Idols - cuts out.
Im baffled, please help me someone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Mike

stevebubs

posted on 13/11/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wild Guess: Need New plugs?
russbost

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
When you say "Been trying to run it without the filter at stand still." do you mean you're running without a complete airbox? If you are that's the problem, bike engines won't run properly without the airbox in place, my old ZX10 which is basically the same as the ZZR1100 lump, ran so weak without the airbox it was very difficult to get it to pick up revs & it would spit, fart & backfire something rotten, they run ridiculously weak without the airbox in place

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Check the carb slides are all lifting, and that there are no leaks around the diaphragms where they seal between the lid and carb body.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maccmike

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
1) I changed the plugs as routine.
2) No I havent removed the air box, just the panel filter. Mentioned at stand still because without the small amount of resistence offered by the filter in situ it would effect a/f mix at speed even more. Iv not taken it on the road because if it stalls and runs poor on my driveway it'll be the same out there and dont want to get stranded again.
It doesnt sound/feel like an ignition problem, more a/f mix. Odd that it appears to me to be f starvation but then theres enough in the exhaust stroke to cause a flame. Looks cool by the way.
Suggestions still required.
Mike

maccmike

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pete,
Slides are lifting, there were no problems before last sunday and Iv not had the tops off to upset anything. Will re remove carbs in the week, check diaghrams and go from there.
Suggestions still welcome.

maccmike

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Russ, when you say your zx10 ran weak without the air box, do you mean lean?
Im wondering if there is too much air thats all.

jossey

posted on 13/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Leak in rubber manifold behind carbs?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 13/11/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
Russ, when you say your zx10 ran weak without the air box, do you mean lean?
Im wondering if there is too much air thats all.

Without airbox any modern bike engine will run ridiculously lean, but if you have the complete airbox, just no filter that should make no significant difference.

I know it can't happen overnight, but have you checked valve clearances? ZZR1100/ZX10 have a habit of tightening clearances up to the point where they run like a bag of poo. They are also very prone to old/bad fuel, so if the fuel has been in there a long time try draining & filling with fresh. Finally I would agree with comments re possible air leaksat or thro' carb rubber joiners or diaphragms being split. Slides will still lift with split diaphragm, but will massively affect running.

The carbs are also prone to getting jets bunged up & some of the drillings are tiny, only way to ensure they are clear is to blow thro' with compressed air.

Following all the above fettling, you'll need to balance the carbs properly, gauges are avilable on Ebay for less than £40 & well worth the investment

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
maccmike

posted on 13/11/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps. Will look in the next few days or so and post an update.
Lightning

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would change the plugs again. Twice I have been caught out. With dodgy new plugs. Once on a lotus and once on the zzr

Steve

maccmike

posted on 14/11/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate, Im busy with uni at the mo and the toy may have to wait until after the xmas exams, but at the soonest opportunity I will re clean carbs, check over thoroughly, check valve shims and change the plugs again. What symptoms did you have with both of yours?
Uphill Racer

posted on 22/11/11 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Check the small heater pipes and filter going to the carbs, I had a blockage that caused all sorts of starting and wetting problems.
maccmike

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
arghh thats interesting, not even thought about that. Will do. Cheers mate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.