Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reccomend me a darn good antivirus
Ninehigh

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Reccomend me a darn good antivirus

Missus is currently reinstalling windows after our antivirus has failed to notice TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED counts of the w32/ramnit.e virus, so that one's out of the window...

Seeing as we're now prepared to actually pay for one (although let's not go mad!) what can get rid of this (so we can remove it from the second drive and keep all the baby pictures we were backing up)

All suggestions will go down well thanks

dlatch

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
avast
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
A Mac

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

T66

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Avast free -

Not a resource hog, just works ......

gottabedone

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Defo Avast and see what the NOD online scanner finds (although this isn't as good as it used to be)

Steve

Bare

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
actually microsoft 'essentials' as found in win 7 is likely the very best antivirus available and it's FREE. there are, as always, 'better' ones, but in server versions... for serious coin.
GRRR

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I recommend Norton Internet Security 2012, its not the resource boat anchor it used to be and check out reviews on the net, it gets the best detection rates. Pc World has it less than half price at the mo too
britishtrident

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Avira Premium --- note the free version is also good but the update servers for the free version are over loaded

Avira also do a free bootable CD/DVD as an ISO file that you can down load burn to CD/DVD and then boot from, it is based on Linux so will clear even the nastiest deep routed Windows virus.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Avast - it simply sits quietly in the background & works!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dangle_kt

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB14ey7uO1s
designer

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Avast
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NeilP

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
AVG Free - but I no nuffin about it other than it works...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

wombat

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
We have 3 laptops on Bullgaurd, always picks up issues and if you cant resolve their backup assistance is good.
Only my experience....

AndyW

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I tried several free one's and since going to Norton on new computer had no problems
IainL

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Bullguard, been using it for 3 years now and no issues.
Peteff

posted on 15/11/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
We switched to Microsoft security essentials last year as AVG was causing problems for some reason and hanging the computer and if you can get something free from Microsoft why not ? Anyway it's been good so far and detects stuff as it comes in usually and requests to clean it immediately, we've had no attacks it hasn't dealt with.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeFellows

posted on 15/11/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
they all suck

the people who make the viruses are much cleverer and better paid (most of the time) than the anti virus developers.

pajsh

posted on 15/11/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
avast

Avast +1

Had Norton and McAfee on new computers and slowed things down loads so binned them after the free (3) months ran out.

Went back to Avast and had no issues in 5 years

Also run Lavasoft Adware and Malwarebytes.

All freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

Andi

posted on 15/11/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
ESET NOD32.. You pay, but its the best one I have ever used and I think i have used most.
Andi

D Beddows

posted on 15/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Microsoft Security essentials for me as well - I've tried them ALL and would never waste my money on Norton and the other commercial ones. AGV was alright a few years ago before it started doing too much and slowed everything down. Avast was my last one before Security Essentials and it was ok (although the 'Avast Security Database Has Been Updated Message' gets old quite quickly...) Although Security Essentials is a Microsoft program it seems to be as good as their firewall - and I quite often have to use 'evaluation' copies of software to get me out of a corner at work which involves more than slightly dubious downloads and I don't get any problems.

I do keep a very good eye on things though which is easily as important as the antivirus you use.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/11/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Avira Premium --- note the free version is also good but the update servers for the free version are over loaded

Avira also do a free bootable CD/DVD as an ISO file that you can down load burn to CD/DVD and then boot from, it is based on Linux so will clear even the nastiest deep routed Windows virus.

It was the free version of Avira that let them through.. Also it occasionally finds viruses that don't appear to exist outside of the software, not even on their own database.

I shall pass these on and see what missus thinks

[Edited on 15/11/11 by Ninehigh]

D Beddows

posted on 15/11/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
with regards to the baby photos - download a copy of Linux Mint - burn it to a CD, set your PC to boot from the CD drive and restart it with the CD in the drive. Linux Mint is fairly obvious to use if you're used to Windows and it should be pretty straightforward to copy your photos (which aren't anywhere virus's hide) to a USB stick. Linux isn't affected by Windows viruses either btw and is free.

Then format the drive and start again...........

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have AVG, but got fed up with the computer being hung up for hours while it updated. Changed to Avast and have never regretted it.

If I used Windoze on a regular basis then I'd probably go for the paid version of Avast, but I use Linux Mint for just about everything that doesn't *have* to use Windoze.

Ninehigh

posted on 16/11/11 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
with regards to the baby photos - download a copy of Linux Mint - burn it to a CD, set your PC to boot from the CD drive and restart it with the CD in the drive. Linux Mint is fairly obvious to use if you're used to Windows and it should be pretty straightforward to copy your photos (which aren't anywhere virus's hide) to a USB stick. Linux isn't affected by Windows viruses either btw and is free.

Then format the drive and start again...........

That's a good point.. I'll have to give that a try

Ivan

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT but I run different AV's on each of my machines and hope that when transferring files form one to the other that the one AV will pick up what the other doesn't - is that a sensible thing to do?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.