Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Muffet Diff
cerbera

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Muffet Diff

I've read a couple of (old) posts here and at the RGB forums where they say it's very unreliable, but I have spoken with the guy who now holds the manufacturing rghts and he says that he has implemented an upgrade that makes them alot more reliable.

There's one on a car I might be looking at buying and this one has just had the upgrade completed. I won't be using it for racing but may do a few track days.

Has anyone had any experiances with this diff.

BobM

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I had one in my Fury. It lasted 2 trackdays and 1 race weekend.

I know James Johnson who I presume you're talking about and know he has been working on a fix to the design flaws. I know at least one of them has failed post-mod.

Which car are you looking at?

Not very Locost but very BEC

cerbera

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, it was James who I spoke to.
It's fitted to a R1 powered Striker which is for sale on Pistonheads.

derekandrewjones

posted on 16/11/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
That Strikers looks a nice car.
If you are looking at Road and Trackday usage then it provides a good solution to a reverse but you won't be using the other key feature which is a changeable ratio. Is the complexity and weight worth the reverse for road use?
I had a Westfield with their centre mounted reverse mechanism and removed it due to unreliability and weight. Never missed it when driving on the road to be honest.
There is quite a difference between the stresses on a car which is on a trackday compared to a race weekend so it is more likely to survive your planned usage.

fishywick

posted on 16/11/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I know the car very well, pm me if you like.
Tris

posted on 16/11/11 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
James has my Muffet at the mo - i believe that once he services one (for a nominal fee), he then provides some sort of warrantee for the diff (not racing use mind).

After seeing the mod (which mine has, and to date as done a fair few races without missing a beat), i am 'hopefull'

cerbera

posted on 16/11/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

If the diff was to go pop I believe it £2k+ for a new one.
Does anyone know what would be involved in changing to a freelander diff? Apart from the diff, obviously, and changing of anchorage points would it mean new driveshatfs uprights and prop?

BobM

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerberaDoes anyone know what would be involved in changing to a freelander diff? Apart from the diff, obviously, and changing of anchorage points would it mean new driveshatfs uprights and prop?

You'd need to at least modify your prop and drive shafts with a risk you might need to replace them. When mine went I replaced it with a Sierra diff - fabricated and welded the brackets for the diff myself and my local prop/driveshaft guy was able to modify my existing prop and had my existing driveshafts machined to fit the diff. I think the Freelander uses push in splines at the diff end (rather than bolted onto flanges) so you'd probably need to get new driveshafts made.

Not very Locost but very BEC

cerbera

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply, Bob

TimC

posted on 30/11/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mac#1 may have suitable driveshafts available.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.