Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff and speed
Murphy

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Diff and speed

I have an R1 engine and 4.4 diff. I have a 3.44 also. What's the differences for power, top end 0-60 torque and so on. I'm new to this but was hoping for a wee starter from the peeps in the know. Cheers , John.
mark chandler

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
What tyres, this is key.

First thing, bin the 4.4 for the 3.44, you want max speed just as the engine tops out, a 4.4 it will rev out early and waste first gear

Bare

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham owners who retrofitted Hyabusa engines typically went for 3: 2 or 3:07 (when they could find them) Diff ratios.
4:1 may mean real quick acceleration... to the 60mph top speed :-)

v8kid

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Long diffs for cruisers short diffs for speedsters.

Thats about it I think!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wylliezx9r

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey with a 4.4 diff you'd be topping out at about 90 buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

kevmcdo

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate
Do a search for gear calculator that should give you a pretty close idea as it takes into consideration tyre sizes too. If can't find it give me a shout and I will email it too you.
If I remember off the top of my head though you should be looking at a top speed change from approx 90mph to around 125mph with a bit more time between the gear changes!!!

adithorp

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
There's a gear/speed calculator sticky thread at the top of this section. 4.4 won't work well with an R1 (final drive ratio varies by year) but the 3.44 shouldn't be too bad.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
bigger numbers in the diff ratio will give a lower top speed for the same engine speed output, but faster acceleration due to increased effective torque at the wheel
smaller numbers in the diff ratio will give a higher top speed for the same engine speed output, but slower acceleration due to reduced effective torque at the wheel

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Murphy

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevmcdo
Hi mate
Do a search for gear calculator that should give you a pretty close idea as it takes into consideration tyre sizes too. If can't find it give me a shout and I will email it too you.
If I remember off the top of my head though you should be looking at a top speed change from approx 90mph to around 125mph with a bit more time between the gear changes!!!

Haha. Just text you too. Thanks for all the answers. Seems I will get everything I need on here.

The quick off the mark is great but did a round trip on troweled and needed a wee bit more. Did a ton OK on the 4 but it did buzz away.

Ear plugs- problem solved.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.