Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting close(ish) to finishing. Loads of pics
L5W

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Getting close(ish) to finishing. Loads of pics

I think I've nearly finished so thought I'd get a few pictures up for comments.

There are still a few jobs to do:
Align the head lamps
Check the self centering
U trim the head lamp mounts and possibly the front wing brackets where they change from round tube to flat bar.
Nut covers on the front suspension
Calibrate speedo.
Secure head lamp wires
Fix the manufacturer's plate when it arrives from MK.

IVA hasn't been booked yet. Is much of the test done outside? as I'm debating whether try and book it asap or leave it until next year when the weather starts to improve.

I fitted the mirrors, track rod covers and u-trimmed the seat belt brackets today so some pictures show them and some don't.

here goes:

The thing hanging down in the passenger foot well is a piece of carpet tile I've used to blank off the area under the dash. Its now back in position

Not sure if I need some sort of cover over the lamda sensor, I'll check to see whether I can get a sphere to touch it.

Thanks,

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

mookaloid

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
nice job

good luck with the test

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

daniel mason

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Very tidy job. I'd put an off cut of silicone hose over the lambda boss just to be safe. It can withstand lots of heat

L5W

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

I think I've got some silicone hose spare so will get that on this week. I've got the week off work so aiming to spend most of it trying to finish off the car.

keep the comments coming

Thanks,

Lee

dlatch

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks cracking Lee well done
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 20/11/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see any side repeaters ?

apart from that, looks tidy

steve

L5W

posted on 20/11/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, the side repeaters are mounted on the rear arches just within the distance limit from the front of the car

Cheers,
Lee

L5W

posted on 20/11/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another quick question, I bought my reverse light and surround from boltonbits on ebay. The lens has E mark but this mark looks like its been printed/stencilled on rather than moulded into the lens plastic. could this be a potential issue during IVA?

Thanks,

Lee

macc man

posted on 20/11/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Very tidy job, I would cover all the nuts at the front end with plastic covers if not already done. Best of luck with the test.

scootz

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good!

It's Evolution Baby!

ashg

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
upper harness metal bits will fail on radius. take the nut covers off and fit proper covers from a production car over them. nissan micra circa 1980 fit nicely over sabelt ones.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

L5W

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
This is how the seat belt brackets look the moment, the cable ties are there to hold the trim in place whilst the glue cures. I thought this was a fairly standard way of getting them through the test? I did try some Pajero covers but couldn't figure out how to make them fit, they seem to be a bit too wide.

Thanks for all the comments

Lee

ashg

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i did mine like that and they failed it. ended up having to put proper covers on it to pass. mine did want to pop off if i put the belt in the wrong place so i put a bit of that black sticky panel adhesive on them to make sure they didnt come off.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

luke

posted on 20/11/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
May just be me.... but dont the brake lines need some fixing to the wishbones? Look a bit exposed
JeffJeffers

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Very tidy looking build. Your blog has been very helpfull to me when building my car.
L5W

posted on 22/11/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Jeff, looking forward to seeing what your body panels look like once they're painted

Cover placed over lambda sensor and held in place with a cable tie.

Will this look "permanent" enough from the tester's point of view?

Need to track down some seat belt bracket covers as suggested, I think I'll need a trip to the local breakers for these.

Thanks,
Lee

Dazzer

posted on 26/11/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nice build some great pics too and very helpful, good luck with your IVA i`ve got all this to come.

[Edited on 26/11/11 by Dazzer]

nearly done

posted on 26/11/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice looking car. When I had the Westfield IVA`d it failed on the sphere being able to contact the edges where the brake flexi hose union screwes in to the caliper. Secondly where did you get the carbon trim along the top of the tunnel from, it looks ideal for a job i have to do.

Cheers,Sean.

L5W

posted on 26/11/11 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nearly done
Very nice looking car. When I had the Westfield IVA`d it failed on the sphere being able to contact the edges where the brake flexi hose union screwes in to the caliper. Secondly where did you get the carbon trim along the top of the tunnel from, it looks ideal for a job i have to do.

Cheers,Sean.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the sphere test on the brake calipers, how did you get round this on your westy? Was it the flexi part which failed the contact test or the caliper itself?

The trim I used is aluminium hockey trim that came with the kit. I wrapped it with some 3M di noc vinyl I'd bought from ebay, I know its not real but I like the look

Cheers,

Lee

nearly done

posted on 27/11/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Lee,
all I did was split a large plastic nut cover and siliconed it in place over the union, this also ment that the sphere could not contact a dubious looking radius on the caliper its self (what a joke). Also make sure you loctite (or say you have) the caliper bolts.

Cheers,Sean.

L5W

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Had a call from the Norwich IVA center this afternoon and have booked the 5th of April for my test

I've been going round the car with a 100mm sphere and checking radii. Noticed an edge where the boot panel meets the roll bar mount. This mount isn't radiused so I need to raise the panel to make it flush.

I want to change my cheap ebay adjustable fuel reg over for a better one as I've read that the ebay ones can cause the fuel pressure to drift over time. New Webcon regulator arrived today so I'll get this swapped over soon

The headlights were aligned on the garage door as best I could using a spirit level and making marks on the door. Do they allow you to adjust the alignment during the test just in case its a bit out?

Other than fiddling with the MS settings a bit to get the AFR as close as possible to 14.7, I think I'm good to go...

Ta,

Lee

loggyboy

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
IS the protrusion of the plate less than 5mm? looks it, if so it only needs to be blunted.
L5W

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
IS the protrusion of the plate less than 5mm? looks it, if so it only needs to be blunted.

come to think of it, yeah these edges are blunted.

ta, another job ticked off the list

Lee

monck

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Same wheels and tyres as me

Look's smart mate ..

That cam cover is very nice makes me want to but a silver top cover on my blacktop ...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.