Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Protected no claims bonus ?? Is it worth it ?
Andybarbet

posted on 20/11/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Protected no claims bonus ?? Is it worth it ?

Ok guys & girls,

If i opt for protected no claims bonus on my insurance renewal for the tin top, the premium goes up £70 a year.

Anyone know if protected no claims is worth the money ??

I have 7+ years no claims bonus but if i had an accident would it help when i come to renew my policy if i had gone for the protected no claims option ?

Does it only work if an accident is not my fault ? i have been paying it for about 5 years but just thought i would ask the quesion on the Locost fountain of knowledge

lewis

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
It don't matter a shit,if you have a accident they will still load your premiums protected or not.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

MkIndy7

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
27 years old and just had my first accident, I stand to go from 7years NCD down to 3 as I didn't think it was worth protecting it £500 policy and £200 to protect my NCD.

Summerising on Churchill's insurance calculator if I was to have a 51 plate BMW 320D it would go from:
£796 7yrs NCD no accidents
£1062 3yrs NCD no accident
£1449 3yrs NCD 1 accident

So I sumise £200 for loosing my NoClaims and £300 for having an accident.
I'd get loaded with the £300 regardless for having an accident so protecting it still wouldn't have been worth it.

Mansfield

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have often wondered what protecting no claims actually means and if it is worth it, I always protect it but it is like insurance insurance from what I can see.

When switching insurance companies they want to know claims history, not whether I had a 'protected' claim.

Awaiting the replies on this topic with interest.

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
It's not worth it.

Insurance companies wouldn't sell it to you if it wasn't a way of them making more money!

The only possible benefit is that it might allow you to spread the risk of a potential accident.
My advice would be, don't have that "potential accident" and don't insure against it.

Matt

JoelP

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
i havent noticed NCD protection making much difference to the premium myself, maybe £30 for me. I only pay about 500 a year anyway, with about 9 years protected. If it did knock 200 off id defiantely drop it!

Other factor is that my wife drives my car a lot and id be well peeved if she lost all my ncd!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Andybarbet

posted on 20/11/11 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like i may aswell drop it then, my premium renewal has gone up £250 o £750 ish this year with current insurer so im doing some shopping around.

I wouldnt mind but im 38 with a clean record after 21 years driving, no points on licence, SAAB 95 saloon - 2.3 litre (low pressure turbo) & car is 12 years old, they still want over £500 shopping around !

I need breakdown cover, legal cover & hire car options.

Anyone recommend an insurer ??

Last 3 years ive been with Direct line, Elephant & up until the end of this month, im with Swift cover, every one of them has hiked the premium after 1st year so i keep changing companys.

[Edited on 20/11/11 by Andybarbet]

britishtrident

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Seems like i may aswell drop it then, my premium renewal has gone up £250 o £750 ish this year with current insurer so im doing some shopping around.

I wouldnt mind but im 38 with a clean record after 21 years driving, no points on licence, SAAB 95 saloon - 2.3 litre (low pressure turbo) & car is 12 years old, they still want over £500 shopping around !

I need breakdown cover, legal cover & hire car options.

Anyone recommend an insurer ??

Last 3 years ive been with Direct line, Elephant & up until the end of this month, im with Swift cover, every one of them has hiked the premium after 1st year so i keep changing companys.

[Edited on 20/11/11 by Andybarbet]

I am with LV it is the only ever company I have been with where the premium went down year on year.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Andybarbet

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think i will give LV a try then, thanks for the heads up, will let you all know how the quote goes.
Andybarbet

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wow !! LV want £903 & thats without protected no claims, its amazing how one person can get a good deal & another goes there & its a stupidly high quote.

I recommended someone to swift after they quoted me £100+ less & my mate was quoted £300 more than his best quote.

Do these insurance companys use some sort of random numbe generatorfor their premiums ?

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
I went from 12 or 13 NCD last year and following a crash, my fault, I dropped to 3 years. It was just a few weks before renewal on a 56 1.4 Astra. It went from just short of £300 to £3000 with Aviva.
I tried price comparison sites with the new 3 years and again with 13/14 years and it was significantly cheaper. I managed to get it at around the £500 mark so last month on renewal too NCD protection which was only about £20-£30 more.
Definitely worth it in my case.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/11/11 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I went from 12 or 13 NCD last year and following a crash, my fault, I dropped to 3 years. It was just a few weks before renewal on a 56 1.4 Astra. It went from just short of £300 to £3000 with Aviva.
I tried price comparison sites with the new 3 years and again with 13/14 years and it was significantly cheaper. I managed to get it at around the £500 mark so last month on renewal too NCD protection which was only about £20-£30 more.
Definitely worth it in my case.

Which companies count up to 14 years NCB? The max I have found is 9 years.

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/11/11 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Well none. It was explained to me that 5 years is the maximum and the other years are given discount at the insurance companies discretion. Hence the reason why, when I crashed, they reverted back to the standard 5 years and knocked off 2 or 3 years from that. So Aviva said anyway. They flatly refused to accept that any other company considered any more than 5 years as maximum. Complete idiots who I refuse to deal with ever again and who have dire customer services.
40inches

posted on 21/11/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Wife moved from Tesco to Swift last year, saved £100 on SAAB 9-3 at £280. Just had renewal quote at £850

bobinspain

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just an observation on a wheeze me and a few friends have used successfully out here at insurance renewal time.
When your insurer quotes, tell them you've sought alternates and that you've found better ones elsewhere. I've chipped 100 euros off a 500euro quote with this ploy.
Incidentally, Linea Directa (Direct Line out here) came back to me after I'd taken out the 400 euro cover (they'd quoted 500) and said, "you should have come back to us for a further re-quote, we'd have beaten the 400 euro one" !!!!:mad
Play them at their own game.:

owelly

posted on 21/11/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey Bob. I'd never thought of that.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobinspain

posted on 21/11/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Crikey Bob. I'd never thought of that.......

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm. (tsk tsk).
Insurance works slightly differently out here than in UK (to the insured's detriment). Renewal happens automatically, so you generally don't get the opportunity to pull the stunt. You suddenly realise it was due by the fact that the premium's been sucked out of your account. (whether you intended it to be or not). You've got to intervene to stop it happening. If it's already been paid, you've 28 days to reclaim it.
Additionally, if you decide to cancel cover (say you sell the car), no refund is due. They'll keep the money unused for cover for up to two years for you to use with a subsequent vehicle policy, but if you don't replace the vehicle, then it's adios to what could be a sizeable chunk of dosh.

Liam

posted on 21/11/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Admiral and they have two levels of NCD protection. I'm not sure if I recall the exact figures, but it was something like normal protection covered me for 2 my fault claims in the year and was only about a fiver, and super-duper protection which covered for something like 5 my fault claims was quite a lot and I thought bugger that and didn't bother.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 21/11/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
The protection only covers the discount you get for no-claims, they still count that you've had an accident..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.