Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why are puppies so expensive?
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Why are puppies so expensive?

I have been a dog lover all my life, earlier this year and within 12 weeks of each other, both my dogs died of age related illnesses.

With the inevitable emotional devastation, I didn't rush into buying a new puppy, but now feel ready to give a dog a loving and permanent home. I had a look on the net and was staggered by the prices asked for puppies, an example was a lab cross for £600, on enquiring, the cross bit was an american pitbull x german shepherd father and a rottweiller x lab mother, to my mind that is a mongrel if ever there was one. My own dogs were crosses, a rotty x lab and a springer x lab, and neither cost more than £50 eleven years ago.

Where do these prices come from?

[Edited on 22/11/11 by Mark Allanson]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

wilkingj

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
They come from greedy barstewards hell bent on making money from foolish people who have more money than sense.

Why not try giving a home to one from a rescue centre or similar. Wont cost you anywhere near £600.
The money that you save, can be spent on giving a dog a loving home.

IMHO there are too many abandoned pets, its some owners that should be put down!

EDIT:
Sorry about the loss of your pets.
Geoff..

[Edited on 22/11/2011 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
maybe to keep the 2 minuiet wonders/chavs away.
i got my 2nd one from a rescue,they may have pupies

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

blakep82

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
personaly i don't like dogs. i like cats and would never BUY a cat. much better going to the rescue homes get one that needs love and a good home and give a donation. don't give a small fortune to some greedy person

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

steve m

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Im with Blake, Cats!!

We dont have them now, as my current wife doesnt like them, although i would have another, (not wife!!)

we always went for a cat that came to us, i presume that applys for dogs as well

scootz

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
We bought our first pup in the early 80's and she was £400 then. Never had one since that's been any less than £350.

I'm glad that the prices are relatively high... stops a lot of the mongs and 'dogs for christmas' brigade from getting their hands on them!

It's Evolution Baby!

austin man

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Got my Springer from a rescue centre, she had been badly treated and took a while for her to trust us. Had her 12 years now she is suffering from old age 15 years old but still happy despite the mishaps she keeps having. Dog before was a Doberman had her from a pup but the dreaded "C" took hold she was a full pedigree and only cost me £75.00 that was 20 years ago. Personall I would only pay big money for a pedigree or one of the designer dogd ie Labradoodle, cockerdoodle etc. Dogs designed for people with allergies they dont malt apparently. both types crossed with a poodle

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

designer

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
They are expensive because 'idiots' pay that much for them.

Can't see why personally, I have always had dogs, and there are some fantastic dogs at rescue centres RSPCA, etc.

I think, most dogs given for Christmas are not bought, they are from the litter down the street.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mate has a pug. Cost over £800. We got a ermmm Well dad is a yorkie mum is a toy poodle cross chiwawa. Cost £100 inc chipping

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

scootz

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I agree that rescue centres should be the first port of call for those wanting a dog (it's where we would go now), I disagree that £500 is expensive for something which will give you perhaps 10 years of companionship, fun and affection. 13p a day!!!

I'll say again that if the prices of pups were lowered, then it would lead to higher numbers of mistreated and abandoned animals. The relative low prices for pets from rescue centres doesn't affect this as they have checks in place to help prevent the 'wrong' types from adopting.

It's Evolution Baby!

mark chandler

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
With injections my golden retriever was a tad under £1000.
I was also given a blue roan cocker at the same time so both extremes.

IMHO all dogs should be at least £250 to stop them being purchased on a whim, if you collect from the RSPCA or a rescue home then expect to pay £100 minimum, this is fine as they will visit your home and check you are capable of looking after a dog properly.

Dogs need walks and lots of attention, they return this in spades !

I should add so far this year we have spent ~£500 at the vets, grass seed removal, illness etc, only yesterday £111 as she has had an alergic reaction to something so you have to be prepared to pay, I put £100 a month into my dogs account to pay for these charges

Dogs are not cheap!

[Edited on 22/11/11 by mark chandler]

dlatch

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
rescue a dog there are so many that deserve a loving home why waste that buy going to a dealer
kevmcdo

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
£600 is a good price for most breeds of dog with a good pedigree, for a cross breed of the dogs mentioned is a bit ridiculous though!!!!
Any form of pit bull should be out the system buy now due to the dangerous dog act. so very questionable anyhow....

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I can see the reason when both parents have KC doc going back to the norman conquest, but not for multiple crosses.

I had thought about a rescue dog, but as my preferred breeds or type of dog are large, I would like to imprint kind and gentle discipline at an early age. I consider, for instance, a rottweiler older that 4 months would be VERY difficult to train if its previous environment was not ideal (ie. shell suits and special brew)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mark chandler

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
You go to a breeder for the dog you want, bad analogy but its like buying a car

A placid intelligent dog that would be safe with children, easy to train and loves to swim and run when on a walk = Golden retriever.

Cocker's as fantastic merry little chaps full of character.

Each to his own, people that buy dogs to fight or as a 'status' symbol should not be allowed dogs at all IMHO

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
It has also just dawned on me that I am looking 4 weeks before Christmas, not the ideal time

kevmcdo

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
My fella is quite large being a Rhodesian Ridgeback and would agree 100% that getting them young is a huge benefit when it comes to training to your ways, although 4months is still quite young.
twybrow

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
There is no need for cat and dog breeding. There are two many of them 'not wanted'. The prices just fuel more people breeding them, or not bothering to neuter their pets. It annoys me when people buy puppies and kittens - if you really love dogs/cats, then get over the idea of getting a puppy, and take on something that actualy needs a good home. Our two cats are mother and son. Mum cat is black (hard to rehome), and has a runty tail where she was got by a dog, and her previous owner did nothing. She was in a cats home for some time, and I felt I could give her the break she needed. She is lovely!

A puppy/kitten grows up - shame most owners dont understand that!

ashg

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
my doggie was free. i rescued her from a nasty lady that didn't want her. she is sitting next to me now. best doggie in the world.

by brother just got a half staff half sharpei cost him £200. its a lovely looking dog but its still what i would call a mongrel

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rsmith95uk

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a rescued Greyhound - 1st ever dog & wouldn't have anything else now.

Lazy buggers - only need 3 short (20 mins) walks a day, and sleeps most of the rest!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 2 staffy pups up for sale that are 14 weeks old paper trained but they need their jabs. 1 dog in white with one black ear and a bitch in all white with faint black spots on her skin. Being Staffs all they ever want is a cuddle are great with kids and noisy families which stops them becoming bored and destructive.
morcus

posted on 23/11/11 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
That seems crazy for mongrels.
My parents have had a few dogs, all of them bought as show standard with full papers (Though most of them actually grew up 'wrong' for showing, for the record it was all genetic stuff not bad treatment, just the way nature can work) and I don't think they cost much more than the price there for xbreeds. I was always told not to get crosses unless you really know what you could be in for and have the time and understanding and would say go to a propper breeder, and more than one. When my folks had a ridgeback they went to every corner of the country visiting breeders and clubs and stuff to get advice and went to shows to talk to people and the whole process took well over a year.

As mentioned, now isn't a good time to buy a puppy. wait it out.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Nickp

posted on 23/11/11 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
We've always gone for '1st crosses'. Bargains to be had and much more interesting as you're never quite sure what you'll get

Alfie (big lad) is a Bloodhound x Labrador. We've had him for 8yrs and he cost £150.
Baxter is a GWH Pointer x Hungarian Vizla. We've just paid £200 for him from a very good breeder. As Pointers are generally about £500 and Vizlas about £800 I think that was very reasonable. Even so, the breeders still made about £2.5K from the litter so not bad really.

Just shop around, be patient and find the right dog from the right breeder.

snapper

posted on 23/11/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Last time I played with some puppies my wife left me!!!

Oops wrong type of puppy.

Rescue all the way for me, they need you.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ninehigh

posted on 23/11/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

Er, I wasn't playing, I caught it. Honest dad!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.