Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: quality control
scoop

posted on 12/8/04 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quality control

Are those of you who have purchased Darrens stuff happy with the quality of it? Ive bought the dedion and wide front suspension and im gonna have to do a lot of weld polishing before it goes any where near the car and, its not even primmed like everyone elses!
ned

posted on 12/8/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
weld polishing? what are you on about? I have darrens dedion rear end and the quality is excellent. no connection, just a satisfied customer. If you want them primed I guess you could buy the bits elsewhere and pay more for them! I'm probably going ot get my bits powdercoated when i get my chassis done.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 12/8/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
weld polishing?? lol WTF??

Are you chromium plating the dedion tube??

The only polishing my chassis gets is from wet grass and mud. That's fun polishing...

Cheers
JC

James

posted on 12/8/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Have to admit that the two De Dion's of GTS' I've seen (Ned's and the one at the Kent show) looked very good to me.

If they'd been available when I started this project I'd have gone with that as opposed to what I've cobbled together.

If you look at this picture of Ned's:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=IMG_1004.jpg

it's not primed either.

I may be wrong but I don't think it says it comes painted on the website does it?

As for weld polishing... not really sure what that is. Do you mean cleaning up the weld? Show us a picture and maybe we can help!

All the best,

James

Jumpy Guy

posted on 12/8/04 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Stuff I've had has been Spotty Dog!!

Never felt the urge to polish any of the welds either.

ned

posted on 12/8/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Spotty Dog?

I don't recall 'SPOT' ever doing an welding on his show

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toolbox_USA

posted on 12/8/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
my parts were top quality.

The suspension parts came powder coated.

All of the welds on the frame look great. I don't see any need to grind or polish anything at all.

Jeff

tom_loughlin

posted on 12/8/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
spot on - all bits ive had were fine, a bit delayed, but when they arrived, were pretty damn good.
the powder coating is not as durable as i thought it would be, but i havent got any other manufactureds stuff to compare it with.

hortimech

posted on 12/8/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
powder coating is not all its cracked up to be. metal has to be spotlessly clean before its done, this means no rust etc. If paint starts to lift, it usually comes off in sheets and is a pain to try and paint over by convential means, I know i've tried

Why does everything happen to me

scoop

posted on 12/8/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quality control

Well you speak as you find. Darren inferred in messages leading up to delivery that he had changed supplier recently maybe i got the first of a bad batch. I will get a photo attached especially of the top wishbone. Its not pretty. And yes i mean flattening the welds
dozracing

posted on 20/8/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Scoop,

Who are you?

Really unsure as to what possible problems you may have had. All the parts we make are dressed to remove weld splatter and to take the tops off the welds.

The parts are made by very experienced welders who have vast experience gained from racing.

The part i supply in general are done at a price and provided in a finish to rival the competition.

For example my wishbones undercut Luego, Stuart Taylor etc, and are provided with no primer or powder coating exactly as per these companies.

If i was to prime and powder coat everything then there would be a lead time issue and also a cost issue, and Locosters in general do not want to pay for these luxuries preffering instead to sort these finishes themselves ie spray painting.

The powder coating process that i use for all the kits uses a de-rust wet and dry, de-rust wipe, acid etch, prime and powder coat. This is a drawn out process used to ensure that rust cannot start under the coating and come off.

All kits are supplied with all items powder coated as its a batch cost, so the wishbones etc can be done within the cost of the chassis coating. Remember that the competition charge more for their kits than me and do not include powder coating.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

marktigere1

posted on 20/8/04 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic.

Darren, will you be at Donnington?

Cheers

Mark

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

dozracing

posted on 20/8/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not going to Donnington.

I was due to, but, with only two weeks to prepare the car, and with a backlog of orders and 60 sets of shocks to assemble i thought it was better to concentrate on getting orders out.

I've build a stock of racing parts so that i can support the race series for the rest of season, and i intend to build a stock of parts of the rest of my range to take to Exeter in November. This will help make the shows pay for themselves.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

phelpsa

posted on 20/8/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome back Darren

Adam

scoop

posted on 25/8/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quality control

Darren u have a u2u.
Scoop

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.