Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake Lever
BobM

posted on 30/11/11 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake Lever

Took my race car for its IVA last Weds and of course failed on loads of stuff. There were lots of things I thought might be issues that were OK so not too disappointed. Apart from the minor bits and bobs that are 20 minute fixes the main problems were noise (103dB), no steering self-centring and handbrake not efficient enough - 14%, needed to be 18%.

I'm using Willwood Powerlites with the Rally Design cable and handbrake lever. The pads are nicely bedded in after a season's racing and I've made a compensator mechanism to balance left and right cables. To get enough leverage I've got the cable fixed close to the pivot point of the handbrake lever, this makes it very effective for everyday use - it will comfortably hold it on the trailer with a good slope on it - but obviously not enough for the IVA. To make it worse such a short mounting from the pivot means it's got a very short pull so when the inspector was pulling on it hard the lever ran out of reserve travel and failed for that too.

So, I need both more leverage and more travel. I could try to fabricate some modification to what I've got but it occurred to me that there's likely to be a lever out there that will cut the mustard. Anyone any ideas?

On the self-centring I'm getting a pair of front lower wishbones made up that give it some castor, the standard geometry has almost none. I think the noise problem was actually mainly mechanical engine noise (it's mid-engined) probably with a bit of drumming effect from the aluminium rear undertray so I'm looking at some sound deadening material.

Not very Locost but very BEC

TAZZMAXX

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I can't answer any of your queries but this has raised a question of my own. My build will be for track only, not road use so will it need an IVA? Does your car get used on the road? It's just with you stating 'race car' thats what made me wonder.
BobM

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
Sorry, I can't answer any of your queries but this has raised a question of my own. My build will be for track only, not road use so will it need an IVA? Does your car get used on the road? It's just with you stating 'race car' thats what made me wonder.

No, IVA's only for road registration. No need for a track car.

I'm doing mine partly because it will make life much easier to take it out for shakedowns after maintenance etc. and partly just cos I'm sure it will be a very practical and sensible road car

Not very Locost but very BEC

TAZZMAXX

posted on 30/11/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for clearing that up, It'll save me the hassle.
rost

posted on 30/11/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm curious about this too, one of my winter upgrades will be those powerlite calipers
There's a lad on this forum who made a very neat setup with an additional lever, which seemed to work very well. But I can't find that thread anymore

Charlie don't surf!

adithorp

posted on 30/11/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'll take "lad" as a compliment (50 next year) but I guess you mean me.

I've copied this from my previous post on the subject of Pwerlite handbrake calipers...

The Powerlite handbrake is a bit short of leverage and the Fury has a modified lever that also reduces the effectivness. I added a multiplying lever in the tunnel. It effectivly increases the leverage about x5. Nice snooth feel and holds easily on steep hills. If you've got the Wilwood SmartPads then I'd get rid of them and switch to Mintex1144 pads as well.

Here's some links to photos of my lever arrangement...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/handbrakelinkage003.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/handbrakelinkage003.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/handbrakelinkage001.jpg

The short cable is from a Mk4 Fiesta. I wasn't happy with the angle on the cable but otherwise it would have meant moving the rear cable mountings. In reality it makes no difference.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rost

posted on 12/12/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hah, sorry about that English is not my first language, just now realized lad implies young
Thanks for the pictures!

[Edited on 12/12/11 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.