Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Life expectancy of a 2.0 ford turbo diesel engine.
Brooky

posted on 2/12/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Life expectancy of a 2.0 ford turbo diesel engine.

Hi all, im considering buying an 04 plate TDCI Mondeo that is dirt cheap.
The reason its cheap is its got inter stellar mileage on it 232,000. Is this a worry for these engines? I know they are exactly the same as the Pugeot engines but i dont know how long they will last for.
Its the 130 version with the six speed manual box. It has a full service history of stamps from a ford dealer but no receipts or parts changed.
Anything I should be aware of when looking at this?
Thanks for your help in advance.

britishtrident

posted on 2/12/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
How cheap is dirt cheap ? how long is the MOT keep in mind the car market is really slow with auction prices at an all time low.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeR

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
dual mass flywheels go and aren't cheap to replace. If you do the clutch at the same time budget 1k. Timing chain is rated / designed to last the life of the engine at 120k so it should be on its second. No idea of the cost of replacement. I had engine mounts fail at 80k on my focus version of the same engine.
Brooky

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap is 1500 advertised price , going for 1250.
Mot due may 2012, last serviced march 11.

snakebelly

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with the dmf, standard flywheel conversion kits are much cheaper
pmc_3

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the high miler ones on ebay seem to have injector problems and as said above the dual mass fly wheel.

Main thing i'd be looking for is a lot of history

britishtrident

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not that dirt cheap then I suspect a 132k one would just make 1800 at auction at least in my area.

If you want a big cheap diesel look at Rover 75 the MPG isn't as variable as it seems to be on the Ford, you should be able to pick up a 90,000 to 100,000 miler for that money at auction or small adds, the version of the BMW engine used is bullet proof as is the manual gearbox suspension and brake parts are cheap and loads of second spares on ebay.

[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 2/12/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that is stellar mileage. Would be a good idea to find out if all the above have been replaced and when and factor that in.

The last mondeo I had was a mk2 with the crappy old 1.8td and that fell apart at about that mileage (wasn't my taxi!)

To be fair I wouldn't expect it to last long

mad4x4

posted on 2/12/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
My citroen diesel engine failed at about 120K and that was the inj pump bearings so I think 220k is good for one of thoese personally I would expect much after about 250K car itself the suspension probably need replace - spring shocks all bushes, Brakes .... Gear box oils .... If it has a towbar then I might not even give it 250K...!

Never seen or worked on a diesel ford but above is a guess based on mileage. I know what my Skoda fabia at 160K needs.... or will need soon

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

pmc_3

posted on 2/12/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
My citroen diesel engine failed at about 120K and that was the inj pump bearings so I think 220k is good for one of thoese personally I would expect much after about 250K car itself the suspension probably need replace - spring shocks all bushes, Brakes .... Gear box oils .... If it has a towbar then I might not even give it 250K...!

Never seen or worked on a diesel ford but above is a guess based on mileage. I know what my Skoda fabia at 160K needs.... or will need soon

As above really dont get too hung up on it not being that old, even if it has a good engine and box other things are likely to be tired. I'm not too put off by high mileage, my passat is over 230k and engine and box are fine. It did cost a fair bit to get through the MOT last month though, I almost didn't bother, needed 7 out of the 8 front suspension arms replacing and some other minor bits.

owelly

posted on 2/12/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
A work mate of mine sold his 2003 Mondeo Ghia Estate a couple of months back. 123,000 miles, FSH, new clutch kit fitted, new suspension bushes all round, new injectors etc. After three rounds on Ebay he let it go for £1200. His expenditure on that car has been enough to put me off any 'modern' Ford!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 2/12/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, yeah, i've heard horror stories of injector failure .......... not stopped me chopping in my 05 focus for an 08 smax with the latest revision of that engine. Each injector has to be coded to the engine management system which adds a nice lump onto the expensive injector replacement price.
wylliezx9r

posted on 2/12/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion, that ain't cheap enough especially considering the current market. One big fault and the car is basically a write off. And as others have said its not just the engine that has done all those miles.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Brooky

posted on 2/12/11 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I think I'll keep looking for another car.
jollygreengiant

posted on 2/12/11 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget that the 'turbos' seem to go, for either a joke or a hobby and when they go, you don't normally get that much change out of 1.5 - 2 k.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Simon

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooky
Thanks guys. I think I'll keep looking for another car.

That car may be ok but the price is wrong. offer them a couple of hundred and take a chance

ATB

Simon

computid

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Well I had a TDDI mondeo with epic mileage. Heres a photo:

The only thing that went wrong was the fuel lift pump. £70 from ebay and I was away again.

Nothing wrong with the high mileage ones but that price is way too high. I paid £250 for mine as a non runner.

Sold it for £700 with a fresh MOT.

Brooky

posted on 3/12/11 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hhhmmmm, as I've now decided its not quite right, I may just offer 500!
I'll let you know!

snapper

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapest dual mass replacement round here is £750
The kit of eBay is £300
Starter motors jam with the dust from the dual mass and whilst not hard to take apart are a real pig to get at.
Injector recall ration is done via ford software using the injector serial numbers but Ford rip you off for the privilege.
Great cars but why go for such high milage when for a few quid more you'll have ten years more life?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
DMF & starters are less of problem they once were on the Mondeo.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll let you know!

Do a search on ebay Rover 75 diesel £600 to £1500 loads come up as classified at fixed price or best offer, generally with 70,000 to 140,000 on the clock.
Thes the 75 and ZT are a seriously good diesel I know a mini cab driver who has had two ---- total mileage 680,000 miles.

[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 3/12/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ford engine, injectors and pump will not leave you any change out of £1000, also needs remapping as they are numbered.
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Ford engine, injectors and pump will not leave you any change out of £1000, also needs remapping as they are numbered.

Lets face it major trouble with a car in this price range you have to suppress your natural instincts and make the choice to fix it or not based on hard economics.

[/I]

Simon

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll let you know!

Offer less, much less - use all the negative arguments above about potential costs for fixing. If you get it cheap enough, it'll be a throw away car!

ATB

Simon

MikeRJ

posted on 3/12/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Cheapest dual mass replacement round here is £750

DMF from Euro Car Parts is ~£236.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.