Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gel Backed Carpet
Steve126

posted on 4/12/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Gel Backed Carpet

A number of people are selling gel backed carpet on ebay and they claim it can be shaped and moulded to fit when heated.

Anyone tried it?

How easy was it to shape when heated?

Thanks in advance.

tegwin

posted on 4/12/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Never come across that before.... Proper carpet can be made to fit almost any shape.... I used this stuff http://www.megavanmats.com/liningcarpet.htm in my sisters camper.... was amazed how well a single piece could be stretched, twisted etc onto complex shapes wihout wrinkling...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

PeterV

posted on 4/12/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've use Gel back in my WLR and it works fine. Used a heat gun to shape (hot ait paint strip gun at a distance would work fine) it and set it. On the tricky bits I measured and built up a wood frame and formed it around. Makes a nice fit and can be removed and reinstalled as a shaped item. Takes a bit of planning and getting use to but once you get the hang of it it ends up making a very nice job.

It also covers up screw heads, sharps and angles etc. so Mr. IVA can't feel them which is a bonus If the GEL is hot when applied it will actually swallow small bold heads and make then vanish into the GEL / Weave.

I got my stuff off EBay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.