Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb to single point injection?
pewe

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Carb to single point injection?

Having sat my Lancia Beta Volumex engine (2.0ltr, 8 valve) upright and turned it North/South from East/West in order for it to fit there's an on-going but anticipated problem in that the Weber DCNF I've fitted doesn't like going round right handers (float chamber is now wrongly configured leading to either fuel surge or starvation).
Braver men than me have tried unsuccessfully to rectify the same problem on their similarly configured cars.
Fitting a DCOE isn't an option but recently whilst buying a blower for another project the engineer vendor suggested going single point injection.
So here are the questions for the collective since my knowledge stops short at carbs, points and distributors.
Is there a single point system which will fit?
If so which vehicle/s should I be looking at as donor/s?
What's involved?
If I'm buying second-hand which components do I require?
Of course if there is another solution whilst retaining the carb I'd be glad to hear it.
Multi-point injection isn't an option.
Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers, Pewe

V Thanks, Rachael. Yes cam-box drains, sump, oil pump, inlet tract. After I'd finished it I reckoned it would have been better to have left it canted over!
[Edited on 8/12/11 by pewe]

rachaeljf

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Did you change the camshaft housings to suit the uprightiness?

How about single point injection from a Lancia Dedra or other Fiat 8V TC?

Cheers R

EDITED for stupidity - realised you are using the blower. 1.6 sohc fiat engines used SPI, as did the later Regata 100S TC, which probably used a similar base fitting to the Weber DAT carbs, but not many of them around.

[Edited on 8/12/11 by rachaeljf]

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Not really sure where single points are used. CVH? Or old Mini?

Would have thought that they would both struggle with your volumex.

rachaeljf

posted on 9/12/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
You can get DCNF throttle bodies from Jenvey and others, e.g.

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody3004.html

Farking expensive no doubt. The cheap bit will be the MegaSquirt to run them.

MikeRJ

posted on 9/12/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Very unlikely to be able to take a complete system from a donor and get it working since it will not be mapped for your engine, and getting such an old OEM system re-mapped might be problematic. I'm not aware of an OEM SPI system used in a forced induction application either.

If you want cheap, then simply gut your DCNF, leaving only the butterflies, essentially turning it into a throttle body. Then get one (or more depending on fuel requirements) injector bosses welded into the plenum part of the manifold and drive these with your choice of after-market ECU. Obviously you will need a MAP sensor plumbed into the manifold for engine load sensing, and probably a throttle position sensor but these should be pretty easy to rig up.

[Edited on 9/12/11 by MikeRJ]

mcerd1

posted on 9/12/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Not really sure where single points are used. CVH? Or old Mini?.

I thought the mini had some really weird multi-point setup with very strange timings to deal with the siamese ports ?

I know the old Pug/Citoren TU engines had single point setups (think 1.1 106/saxo), but I doubt they'd have any useful bits for you

[Edited on 9/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

MikeRJ

posted on 9/12/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Not really sure where single points are used. CVH? Or old Mini?.

I thought the mini had some really weird multi-point setup with very strange timings to deal with the siamese ports ?

but I know the old Pug/Citoren TU engines had single point setups (think 1.1 106/saxo)

[Edited on 9/12/2011 by mcerd1]

The first injected minis used a single point injection (SPI), it was the later ones that went to the rather clever multi-point system.

The old Pug TU system was the Bosch Mono Jetronic which uses Alpha-N load sensing so no good for forced induction.

pewe

posted on 9/12/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pointers - looks like I'll be spending the weekend on-line doing research and trying to get my head around the options (if any).
Cheers, Pewe
Dingz, V thanks but probably do need something bigger. Saw a Volvo 2.3 which could be the answer - trip to the local scrappie called for I think.

[Edited on 9/12/11 by pewe]

Dingz

posted on 9/12/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a K series 1.4 spi on a manifold sitting on my bench if that is any use but guess that is far too small for what you would need.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

MikeR

posted on 9/12/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Turns out that VW throttle bodies from early golfs is a weber unit, this amazingly (or not) has identical bolt holes to the webber downdraft carbs. As it doesn't have all the carb bits its a little bit smaller. So you either need to add in an injector boss or add a small sandwich plate with the injector in it.

If you wait a while then come up cheaply on ebay.

pewe

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
MikeR, thanks but can you be more specific?
There's a MK2 GTi one on there which finishes tomorrow (Sun).
Any idea if that's compatible?
Cheers, Pewe

MikeR

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently at my parents so i can't look what i've got in the garage. I took a random punt after reading some stuff and bought one. The one i've got looks (From memory) very similar or even identical to the ones on the bay at the moment. When mine arrived I took my ford crossflow manifold and its bolt holes fitted the studs perfectly. It then all got put away as a baby arrived.

(i did a search for "golf mk2 throttle body".

loggyboy

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
lots of vauxhalls used spi. mk2 nova, corsa, astra etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.