Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Way off topic: Laser eye surgery
tomgregory2000

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Way off topic: Laser eye surgery

Hay everybody

Im looking to get laser eye surgery and have been to see ultralase and optical express and to be honest not much between them apart from the price so im thinking of going to optical express.

Now my question is: I believe a few of you guys have the eyes done and just wondered if anybody has a discount voucher for optical express?

Tommy

HowardB

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I spent a long time looking into this (excuse the pun) and concluded that cost is the least significant factor in choosing where to have my eyes done. First of all was individual operational success statistics, second was patient aftercare, and last on the list was cost.

I have yet to have my eyes done, but 2012 is the year of choice.

I would be very interested to hear how it goes which ever provider you choose,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

britishtrident

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
My son has inside information on customer satisfaction with these procedures apparently it varies a fair bit depending on the individual carrying out the procedure.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

clairetoo

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
You could try bunging a U2U to Alex (omega0684) - he had this done recently and is still raving about it

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Ninehigh

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
The advice I was given about it is to follow the instructions religously. That whole "be back in work that afternoon" is possible but (this is all apparently) they don't really recommend it. If you're really good with your aftercare it works well, the woman I talked to about it said her eyes are slowly getting better year on year. She also said it feels like an elephant's sitting on your eye, pressure but not painful.

MautoK

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've worn glasses for over 45 years and no way, no how would I entertain having my eyes b*gg*r*d about with. They are the only ones I've got.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with John on this one. Glasses are a PITA, but they can be changed. I've been told that even if you have laser surgery, if you need reading glasses, you need reading glasses, the surgery is only any good for single vision inpairment (i.e. long-sighted) but I don't know if they were well informed or read it in a newspaper!

But one thing I do know, is that it CAN last for up to 10 years, but the older you get, the more rapidly your eyes deteriorate and I'm not sure if they can do a second operation once they start to fail again?

Just my 2p worth

John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

monck

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine at work had his eyes done at 40 (5 years ago) , He say's it was the best money he ever spent and only regret was not having it done earlier in life ....

Take my hat off to people who have it done takes sum serious balls i think ....

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/12/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about this over thirty years ago and went to see a body at St. pauls Eye Hospital in Liverpool, then it was about £800 per eye, but if it works, what the hell.
The guy that I spoke to said that some people suffer with irritation afterwords and there is nothing that they can do about it.
Having once had severe conjunctivitis, I decide not to gamble and stuck to bins ever since.
I assume things have come a long way since then but would want to ask some serious questions first.

[Edited on 10/12/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SausageArm

posted on 10/12/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaddylonglegsI'm not sure if they can do a second operation once they start to fail again?

You can have your eyes lasered again, I found this out when I went for a consultation with Ultralase a few months ago, I'm still fancying having it done, but would like to have a consultation with Optical Express first.

tomgregory2000

posted on 10/12/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
im at the grand old age of 26 so a little while till i need reading glasses.
digiman

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had it done at the Centre for Sight, which is attached to the Queen Vic Hospital in East Grinstead. They have a phenomenal first time success rate, which finally swung it for me. They also do a lot of corrective surgery for those who have had a bungled laser surgery. This is definitely not something you want to do twice. 5 years on and the results are still fantastic.
drop me a u2u if you want more details.

gavin174

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
having worn glasses for 20 years and tried contact lenses....

unsuccessfully, i concidered laser surgery....

until a friend of mine whos the same age 38 had it done..

not sure what, but something went wrong and he is now registered blind.

ok he is looking at a good compo pay out, but he was a petrol head and has lost everything.....

glasses are a pain in the arse..... but better than being blind!!

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

MikeR

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
my boss has had it done twice.

The first time they can use the laser to cut the eye bit, the second time they have to use the old school knife as the eye cover bit can only be done once with the laser.

He's thinking of having it done a third time - which is approx every 10 years.

foskid

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine done (lasek) in 2002. I couldn't read a number plate from 20 feet , read a paper or watch tv without glasses before getting them done but since then I have only needed glasses for reading.

Best money I have ever spent and I would do it again in future if I have to.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

NigeEss

posted on 11/12/11 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Nearly eight years since I had mine done and do not regret it on iota.

Went for a consultation with Ultralase as they had the best reputation and
the clincher was the offer of two years interest free credit shortly after.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/12/11 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
I hope this doesn't offend anyone - but can the people that have had it done, post the severity of "repair" and the cost of the operation please?

I would like to persuade my wife to have it done, but money is ever so tight and will be for another 6 to 12 months...

ATB
Steve

RK

posted on 11/12/11 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into it once, and didn't mind the cost. I got especially nervous though, when they told me the odds of "failure", which were 100:1. Not very good!! I didn't go for it. For driving with a helmet, hockey, biking etc, I wear contacts, which only work for distance, but a nice change for the eyes sometimes.
snakebelly

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
had mine done by ultralase in london about 10 years ago, wasnt impressed with the after care, only contact i got was constant phone calls after the numbers of friends i would recommend.
I was 38 when i had it done and it was perfect to start with but about 5 years later i was back to wearing specs. I spoke to my local optician and she reckoned i should never have had it done as i was not a suitable candidate.
Dont forget that they are in this for the money not your best interest, get an opinion from an optician who will not be involved in the procedure to check you are being given the whole truth!

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 11/12/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Her indoors had it done last year with Optical Express.. she was blind as a bat before and on the drive home from the op could read number plates better than me with my glasses on!
She had no bad experiences at all with it, no pain, no problems whatsover. Just did what they said with the drops etc and all was good.. At the yearly check up she had two lines better than 20/20 !
I think she's got some vouchers somewhere if you still want one.... she also gets a cheque if she recommends someone who gets it done.

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

NigeEss

posted on 11/12/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Snakebelly, that's the complete opposite of my experience of Ultralase.
I was also 38 and was advised by them I may need reading glasses after the op but that was
and still is not the case.

Cost me £2000 and has now paid for itself in contacts and glasses.

How graphic do you want Steve

The procedure itself was painless but a couple of unpleasant bits, the clamping of the eyelids wide
open being the first. Few drops of local and shrtly after came the bit I really didn't like, the cutting
of the corneal flap. "you'll feel a bit of pressure on your eye" they told me. Felt like a pastry cutter
being pushed through to the back of my head, so hard everything goes black.
You then see a needle approach and the flap is lifted, everything goes far more blurred than before.
You then have to stare at a fuzzy red dot whilst they start zapping with the laser. Bit of a burning
flesh smell but all over in 30 seconds. Quick rinse and the flap goes back.
The difference was immediate and startling Although it was like looking through a mist everything
was in focus.
Was given 3 bottles of drops for each eye to avoid cross contamination and clear glasses to wear
for three days and bug eye ones for night. Went back the following day for a check up and a week
later for the final one.

I ended up with 19/20 vision, can't quite read the bottom line with my right eye, but that one was
always weaker anyway. Full chart with left eye and both together. They offered free re-treatment
of the right but I declined, 19/20 I'm well happy with.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RACER101

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I am also interested in the costs.

Recently my HGV licence was withdrawn because my uncorrected eyesight was below the DVLA standard. Wearing lenses or specs my eyesight is perfect but in order to meet the uncorrected standard I have no option but to have laser treatment.

Although many of the laser providers say that it can be done for £400 or so per eye, several people tell me that the real costs are much greater.

Personally I would prefer not to have my eyes messed with in this way but it seems like the only way I can get my HGV licence back (fortunately I don't rely on it for my living).

Cheers,
John

[Edited on 11/12/11 by RACER101]

mrwibble

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101
I am also interested in the costs.

Recently my HGV licence was withdrawn because my uncorrected eyesight was below the DVLA standard. Wearing lenses or specs my eyesight is perfect but in order to meet the uncorrected standard I have no option but to have laser treatment.

Although many of the laser providers say that it can be done for £400 or so per eye, several people tell me that the real costs are much greater.

Personally I would prefer not to have my eyes messed with in this way but it seems like the only way I can get my HGV licence back (fortunately I don't rely on it for my living).

Cheers,
John

[Edited on 11/12/11 by RACER101]

hmm this seems odd, definately at odds with the dvla forms ive seen for patients, uncorrected eyesight has nothing to do with it. u can drive an f1 car with glasses.

anyone considering laser eye surgery, should do research into the 2 main procedures - lasik and lasek and ask which one your getting.

racer 101 perhaps your confusing yag laser treatment which is not a refractive procedure.

oh and don't think you've escaped glasses forever, at the age of 45-50 u'll need glasses to read
[Edited on 11/12/11 by mrwibble]

[Edited on 11/12/11 by mrwibble]

bobinspain

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
My good lady had her eyes laser-treated 7 years ago here in Spain. (She was 49 at the time).

She'sd worn spec's as a kid and lenses from being a teenager. Her eyes had 'settled down,' ie had undergone no further deterioration from her mid twenties, leaving her with minus 6 vision in one eye and minus 7 in the other. (That's 'jam-jar-bottoms' for glasses territory).

She followed the instructions of the surgeon to the letter, (drops and all the other malarkey) and we both agree it's the best two grand we ever spent. The whole procedure was over in a matter of minutes and I was amazed that she simply walked out of the surgery with no bandages or eye covering whatsoever. (Her sight simply got clearer and clearer over the next few hours) Amazing stuff !

She went back several weeks later for a 'slight adjustment,' since her eyesight was too poor to do in one 'hit.' The upshot of that was, that after counselling, she opted to have just one eye adjusted, with the result that she no longer needs glasses/lenses for driving or reading.

Seven years down the line, she still says, "I just wish I'd've had it done earlier."

Our daughter's 20 and has inherited mum's poor eyesight. Her eye's are still deteriorating slightly year-on-year and her lens-prescription is being strengthened. Once the decline's arrested, we'll get her eyes 'zapped' too. Bob.

NeilP

posted on 11/12/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I hope this doesn't offend anyone - but can the people that have had it done, post the severity of "repair" and the cost of the operation please?

I would like to persuade my wife to have it done, but money is ever so tight and will be for another 6 to 12 months...

ATB
Steve

I had it done in 2003 with Ultralase - IIRC cost back then was £850 each eye. I was over -4 dioptres short-sighted in each eye with astigmatism (horizontal and vertical focus is different). Basically meant I couldn't read any print unless it was 8 inches from my nose and lights at night were vertical bars which made driving a real pain. Glasses were the first thing I put on after waking and the last thing to come off at night. Had sucessfully worn contacts as well for many years but my eyes had reached the stage where my corneas were developing 'saddles' from wearing them.

Chose Ultralase after a fair bit of research and they then offered the most 'professional' package - Statistics on the 'failures' (there are a few each year and if it goes worng then it goes wrong) were (then) very low and I believe it's got much better than that since in the market. The procedure is what it is - if you're squeamish do not look it up on YouTube! You do have to follow the aftercare to the letter...

Definitely the best 'personal' investment (other than the toy of course) that I ever made. Transformed my life with simple things like taking my girls swimming and actually being able to find them in the pool without having to do it by 'sound' like some demented male penguin. Last time I checked I was 200/20 vision - can see number plates a mile off, much better that the missus who has never work glasses.

HTH, N.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.