Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dyson problem
matt.c

posted on 11/12/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dyson problem

My dyson has been making some horrible noises. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it?

Thanks Locosters

VID LINK

steve m

posted on 11/12/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a partial blockage to me?

have you taken all the pipes etc off, ?

steve

westf27

posted on 11/12/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
no clutch on that one.Disconnect belt and try,disconnect the waste container.That eliminates brush roll problems and the container removal discounts a blockage.If its still noisy probably motor,cheap enough but a ballsache to fit for the first time.

austin man

posted on 11/12/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a daugther like mine living at home it probably a load of hair grips trapped inside

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

T66

posted on 11/12/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
If you have a daugther like mine living at home it probably a load of hair grips trapped inside

Or a son like mine - wet wallpaper - Dyson No1 dead

Or a wife like mine - Empty hairbrush onto carpet & hoover. - Dyson 2 head motor

JoelP

posted on 11/12/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
there are a few airway inspection holes you can pop open, it has the whoosh of a partially blocked airway to me.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bowood14

posted on 11/12/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I can beat that one my son went out one evening and was sick due to too much beer, so decided to hide the evidence and clean it up with the Dyson!! Cost him a new one
whitestu

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ours sounds the same - a knackered bearing I think.

Stu

Mr C

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Been there done it, they are total crap, get a Miele instead, you'll never go back.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

ashg

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
had a dyson it was poo. eventually saw the light and got a miele, its is easy 1000times better than the dyson. i even use it to hover out the workshop sometimes when the other half is out as it better than a henry.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

craig1410

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
We've got the Dyson DC?? (25 I think) "animal" and it's been great so far. I would certainly recommend them having seen other leading brands destroyed by my other half every few years. I'm not quite sure what she does to them when I'm no looking but eventually there is usually smoke and sparks and some horrible noises. So far after 2 years the Dyson has been faultless and still has 3 years warranty left (standard 5 year). I've never heard of Miele to be honest and prefer to buy British if I can (I looked it up, Miele is German).

The most common source of strange noises with our Dyson is usually BB pellets from my son which seem to find their way into every part of the house even though he only uses the BB gun in the attic, his room or occasionally in the garden. They make a horrible rattling noise.

I have seen pipe blockages a couple of times but these are usually easy to find on convoluted tubing due to the way it sucks in on the motor side of the blockage. Usually easy to fix as you can take the hose apart and drag out the offending kirby grip and hairball (usually)!

Good luck getting it sorted!
Craig.

Edit: Yes mine is a DC25 - highly recommended by me and 97% or Argos buyers according to this: http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/4061612/reviews.htm

[Edited on 11/12/2011 by craig1410]

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/12/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Only used a Dyson once myself. Then bought a Henry. Never looked back.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 11/12/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
We have had a DC1 for years and it just keeps going. Keep the filters clean, change the odd drive belt and no problems.

Blockages can usually be cleared from the flap/trap at the bottom of the flexi tube on ours.

locoR1

posted on 11/12/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Matt i have exactly the same model as that in the garage and guess what it makes the same noises (so the wife had a new one)
Have know idea what the noise is so not very helpful for you but its been like it for a couple of years now and still going strong

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

craig1410

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't notice the video link earlier as I was reading on my phone. Just listened to it and it sounds like something slipping on the main shaft, like the cooling fan perhaps? The way the sound keeps coming and then going is like the slipping item is sometimes gripping and then slipping again, perhaps due to heating up and cooling down. Personally I'd strip it down and rebuild it cleaning it out as I went and watching for things that should be fixed, slipping and things that should slip, sticking.

I've just realised what it reminds me of - PC fans when they start to fail. You know how they screech for the first few seconds or minutes and then quieten down? Fortunately I've had an iMac since 2007 so fan noise (in fact any noise) is a thing of the past. I think you have a plastic fan slipping on a metal spindle somewhere. A spot of glue might be all that's required to fix it.

need4speed

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Had the fan on the motor come loose on one, got a second hand motor for not much money from ebay.

Dave

craig1410

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Some ideas on this forum:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t162435-dyson_dc14_animal_vacuum_terrible_loud

Mainly to do with beater bar and associated clutch. Might be as simple as requiring some cleaning of the ends of the beater bar or it might need a new clutch (£15 as far as I can tell). Have a read for yourself and see what conclusions you come to.

It is a DC14 isn't it?

HTH,
Craig.

Mansfield

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cant help you with the noise but this website helped me change the motor on my DC07, it might help you too.
matt.c

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the replys.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds exactly like ours did a few months ago - looked at the Dyson website, decided that their overhaul offer was good value (yeh - I know) so gave them a ring to arrange it. Bloke on the other end of the phone was ace - he said "before you sign up, let's try a quick test". Told me how to unhook the drive belt off the beater bar (easy job), and restart the vac - and the noise had gone.

It turns out that the beater bar has a sealed ball-bearing at each end - when I tried to turn the inner races they wouldn't move, due to a few years of dust blocking them up. The bloke said "drip some oil into each bearing, and see if you can get them to turn - job's done if they do, else buy a new beater bar". In my case, a good soak in oil did the job, saving me a heap of money.

So - try unhooking the drive belt between the motor and the beater bar (I think you can undo the cover plate underneath to get at it) and try running the vac.

Warning - if you do take the beater bar off, don't push on the bearings, or they'll go into the beater bar. If you do that, then you'll need a new one (or a lot of luck in getting them back into place).

Jasper

posted on 23/12/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Or get a Sebo, 8 years old now, looks and works like new

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

ChrisW

posted on 23/12/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It turns out that the beater bar has a sealed ball-bearing at each end - when I tried to turn the inner races they wouldn't move, due to a few years of dust blocking them up. The bloke said "drip some oil into each bearing, and see if you can get them to turn - job's done if they do, else buy a new beater bar". In my case, a good soak in oil did the job, saving me a heap of money.

I had exactly the same problem with our DC7 recently, although I figured it out myself as there was smoke coming from inside foot after it was switched off. The bearings were jammed solid, so the friction of the belt turning was melting the rubber and making the squealing noise, probably the same as your noise in the video I'd expect.

I didn't bother (or even think of) soaking it in oil. Just bought a new brush bar off eBay. Was about a tenner if I remember correctly. Sorted the problem straight away. That's the great thing about Dyson - all the bits are replaceable and on eBay for a few quid. I've only had 2 non-self inflicted problems* with it in 8 years and both have been sorted by eBay. I do have a Charles (wet and dry version of Henry) in the garage though!

*The other issue was caused by my rabbit eating the cable, so hardly Dyson's fault. Also sorted that one on eBay!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.