Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec Piston Failure
andylancaster3000

posted on 2/1/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec Piston Failure

Currently trying to determine the cause of a piston failure on our 2.0 duratec.

The story:

Prior to the last meeting at Cadwell it was noticed it was breathing heavier than you'd expect. Not badly enough to not enter but probably worth bringing the head off afterwards for an end of first season inspection!

At Cadwell we suffered a failure of all big ends due to oil starvation. When the engine was brought apart it was also noticed that the edge of the crown of one piston had a rounded edge over about 10-15mm. When the piston was taken out we found that the 2nd ring had broken up and the lands between rings 1,2 and oil scrapper had 'burnt' away over about 40mm below the rounded crown. The bits ring were contained but piston bits were not to be seen. See picture below.

Whilst we're fairly sure what caused the big eng failure we struggling come to an acceptable conclusion why the piston has failed in this way. Possible thoughts are:

- The bore was starved of oil causing the ring and land damage
- One injector is faulty possibly causing damage crown or bore wash.
- Foreign body has gone into the cylinder

I have a number of reasons why these don't seem sensible however. We have a replacement bottom end but am not happy to put it back together without getting to the bottom of this one.

What do people think?!

Cheers
Andy

[Edited on 2/1/12 by andylancaster3000]

owelly

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say, lack of oil probably in line with your big end issues. The damage looks to be on the thrust side so wouldn't like a lack of oil. Does the knackered shells coincide with that piston? If theres no oil getting through the journal and up the conrod, that would cause your fault.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm erring on this conclusion mostly too.

Each of the 4 shells failed to a similar extent but the piston damage occurred one No2 only.

stevec

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like detonation failure to me.
Steve.

Bare

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
That the piston's thrust face?
Looks like either the ring land or the ring (less likely) gave up the battle. Can't tell which was first to go tho.
Are those oem style pistons (not familiar with the pistons on that engine) seem a bit short as if of aftermarket slipper types.
Rocking can be a problem with some
Forged pistons would certainly be worth looking into.

[Edited on 2/1/12 by Bare]

ajw

posted on 2/1/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
The only answer to failure is to dry sump the engine . Use a millington spec tank to avoid air in the oil. I have written off a duratec in cadwell and oil starvation is a problem.
pjay

posted on 2/1/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy - what sump were you running?
andylancaster3000

posted on 2/1/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
We have been using a DIY job which I think with a bit of work could be made to work but have since bought an SBD/Titan/Raceline sump which should do the job I hope.

[Edited on 2/1/12 by andylancaster3000]

sebastiaan

posted on 2/1/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post a picture of the rounded edge on the piston crown? It might indeed be detonation damage.
andylancaster3000

posted on 3/1/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one other shot of the piston installed (not to hand though) but it doesn't show a lot more than the picture above. There is no other damage or pitting on the crown of the piston or head which is what I thought is typical of detonation damage but would be interested to hear of otherwise...
MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Looks like detonation failure to me.
Steve.

Agreed, that is detonation damage. Very much like this poorly piston from my Fiat that a previous owner killed by winding the boost up and not checking the fueling:

owelly

posted on 3/1/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've never seen detonation that hasn't marked the piston crown. Detonation starts as a hot spot that then burns like an oxyacetylene torch through the piston/liner.
The picture above looks more like the land has colapsed due to overpressure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 3/1/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
This was caused by pre-ignition detonation...

sebastiaan

posted on 3/1/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I've never seen detonation that hasn't marked the piston crown. Detonation starts as a hot spot that then burns like an oxyacetylene torch through the piston/liner.

The pic in the first post shows damage to the piston crown, and:

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
it was also noticed that the edge of the crown of one piston had a rounded edge over about 10-15mm.

So my first port of call would be checking ignition timing, fuelling and spark plug heat grade as I still suspect this was caused by detination / high speed knock initially. How was the fuelling and ignition timing set up?

MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Detonation causes a violent shock wave which can easily break ring lands. Once they have broken, hot combustion gasses are relatively free to pass down the side of the piston and things start melting.

The whole reason for the use of forged pistons in high performance engines is that they are are more ductile than cast pistons (which tend to be brittle) so can tolerate more of this type of abuse without breaking.

[Edited on 3/1/12 by MikeRJ]

owelly

posted on 3/1/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a better look at the first piccy on a proper monitor, as opposed to my phone, and you're right, the edge of the crown has damage.
There's a few points in that link I dissagree with but I'm no expert, just someone who has been all over the world to investigate engine failures (mainly marine and gensets) and my words come from my experience. What would be hard to establish, is the relationship between the detonation and the bearing failure. Cause or symptom?
I doubt you could find out unless you had afr readingd at the point of faolure, or found an air leak or some other reason to run lean.

andylancaster3000

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect that if the ring land damage is det then as we originally thought the bearing damage is a separate problem piston failure. This seems sensible as it was showing signs of piston distress (by the heavy breathing) prior to the weekend of the bearing failure.

This does now mean I'm going to have to investigate the what is causing it, whether it be fueling or ignition related...

andylancaster3000

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and thanks for peoples thoughts! Please keep them coming if you have more!
coyoteboy

posted on 4/1/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely looks like detonation damage to me, and the big end failure could be related - severe detonation causes impact damage to the bearing surface which will damage the oil film, leading to metal on metal contact. Assuming the bearing damage was fairly uniform across all pistons or heavy on one or two you might have had an overall effect of dropping available oil pressure under load.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by coyoteboy]

MikeCapon

posted on 4/1/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for detonation. Seen way too many of them when racing a Colt Lancer Thundersaloon.

You only had to hear the slightest "det" noise and the piston(s) broke exactly the same way each time.

ETA Often without any damage or witness marks on the crown. The lands were the first thing to go.

HTH

Mike

[Edited on 4/1/12 by MikeCapon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.