Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Blast cabinet
ChrisW

posted on 2/1/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Blast cabinet

Thinking of buying something like this...

eBay Item

Anyone got any experience to share? Are they any good or is it a job best left to the professionals? I want to use it to clean up engine parts.

I've got a big compressor so running it shouldn't be an issue.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 2/1/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The suction blast guns are rubbish, you need a proper pressurised container one IMHO (having tried both), that cabinet is OK though....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

mookaloid

posted on 2/1/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own a few years back and the down sides were I needed a bigger compressor - (not the cabinets fault) and it was quite messy so best used outside - after 20 mins use in my shed the visibility was down to about 1 foot and I don't mean inside the cabinet.

it is also quite slow compared with professional blasting

The results were fine though so if you are only doing smallish parts then it looks good

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

locoR1

posted on 2/1/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Brought a bigger one than that a couple of months ago for doing bits on my cafe racer project very happy with it works very well, makes all the difference being able to clean up bits as you need to.

I have no previous experience of blasting cabinets so wasn't to sure what to use as media found a company selling Crushed Recycled Glass Abrasive on ebay "Link" very cheep and works well im going to try glass bead next supposed to be very good on aluminium leaving a nice finish.

Will be watching with interest to other peoples experiences and media used.

Dave.

Edited to add: i have a very big compressor and use an old vacuum cleaner as an extractor

[Edited on 2/1/12 by locoR1]

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

se7en

posted on 2/1/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace from Germany.

The item cost me no more than if I had bought it in UK but because I reside in N Ireland, UK sellers charge up to £30.00 for carriage. The carriage from Germany to NI(UK) was 23.80 Euro about £17.35. I will be able to tell you what its like when it arrives here this week.

HTH

Tom

mad-butcher

posted on 2/1/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
on a machine mart vat free day they are £107
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Antnicuk

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
The suction blast guns are rubbish, you need a proper pressurised container one IMHO (having tried both), that cabinet is OK though....

Chris

hi
can you explain the difference between the 2 as i am looking at getting one sorted out for some bits on my new project

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

coyoteboy

posted on 3/1/12 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a suction based gun and it seems to work fine if you keep the suction hose fairly short.
adithorp

posted on 3/1/12 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think Frosts do a kit to build your own cabinet.

Found it . Don't know if thats cheap though. Being Frosts I doubt it is.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ChrisW

posted on 3/1/12 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Brought a bigger one than that a couple of months ago for doing bits on my cafe racer project very happy with it works very well, makes all the difference being able to clean up bits as you need to.

I have no previous experience of blasting cabinets so wasn't to sure what to use as media found a company selling Crushed Recycled Glass Abrasive on ebay "Link" very cheep and works well im going to try glass bead next supposed to be very good on aluminium leaving a nice finish.

Dave.

Edited to add: i have a very big compressor and use an old vacuum cleaner as an extractor

Hi Dave

If it's not too much of a pain in the arse, would you be able to post a couple of examples of parts before and after? I'd like to get an idea of what sort of results to expect.

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

SCAR

posted on 3/1/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1

Dave.

You seem to be getting good results with your blast cabinet, I WANT ONE!
Which one did you get and how much? any drawbacks?
Cheers
Steve P

locoR1

posted on 3/1/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Hi Dave

If it's not too much of a pain in the arse, would you be able to post a couple of examples of parts before and after? I'd like to get an idea of what sort of results to expect.

Thanks, Chris

Chris if you haven't already looked have look on page 5 of my cafe racer build thread (link at the bottom of my posts) no before pics apart from the rusty bike on the first page but should give you an idea.

The fork legs were blasted with the medium recycled glass then a light sand with wet and dry then polished.

This is the cabinet i brought just big enough to get a wheel in so the only thing i will have to have done is the frame.

"Large Ebay blasting cabinet"

To save you looking!

Description
Description

locoR1

posted on 3/1/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR

You seem to be getting good results with your blast cabinet, I WANT ONE!
Which one did you get and how much? any drawbacks?
Cheers
Steve P

Link to the one i brought above in my previous post

The only drawbacks ive found so far its reasonably quick on most things but the hard paint on the fuel tank took ages to get off maybe that's the media i am using though.

And in my opinion if you haven't got a big compressor forget it would be a wast of time.

Dave.

Description
Description

fullpint

posted on 3/1/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain

Chris

I use (daily) a Guyson Super 6 which is a suction type and it works great. Yes pressure pot can be better but at the end of the day you need a lot of cfm to maintain a good nozzle pressure. My compressor is 3 phase and is 19cfm but I'm looking into getting a bigger hydrovane (40cfm+).
That link is fine for small parts but forget it if you need to remove tough paint. In fact it's best to paint strip first and then follow this up with a blast.
I use a 30/40 grit media. My cabinet also has a 240v extraction but as said in a reply a vacume will do the same if you are just using it for a short while.
What size compressor do you have?

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.