Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT question. paying and failure
karlak

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
MOT question. paying and failure

Non-Kitcar

Had my sons car MOT'd today, which failed on a couple of items

Anyway, got the failure sheet when he went an dpicked it up, but they did not charge him anything. Is this Normal ? We have 10 days for a re-test.

It failed on a Split "flexi" pipe on the exhaust after the Cat and also a failed Emissions test.

I have found somewhere to replace the exhaust section for me tomorrow, but am hoping that the failed emissions test is also due to the split. I have not seen the "split", but they have said it has a "major leak of exhaust gas" - Thing is I cant hear the exhaust blowing ???

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

NigeEss

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of the test and retest is at the discretion of the testing station hence the variation
in test prices. They can also choose wether to charge for retests or not.

However, I've not yet come across a station that didn't charge for the initial test.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

monck

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't moan

I have always been charged the Mot fee and given 7 or 10 days for a free retest...

bobthebuilder

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
my vosa mot spot doesnt charge till the retest which is included in the price.
also if it has failed on emisions then a quick oil change and a new air filter can help.

mad4x4

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Non-Kitcar

Had my sons car MOT'd today, which failed on a couple of items

Anyway, got the failure sheet when he went an dpicked it up, but they did not charge him anything. Is this Normal ? We have 10 days for a re-test.

It failed on a Split "flexi" pipe on the exhaust after the Cat and also a failed Emissions test.

I have found somewhere to replace the exhaust section for me tomorrow, but am hoping that the failed emissions test is also due to the split. I have not seen the "split", but they have said it has a "major leak of exhaust gas" - Thing is I cant hear the exhaust blowing ???

They will do a visible inception of the exhaust while on the ramp with engine running if it is leaking badly they won't test the emissions = FAIL just because it doesn' t sound loud doesn't mean that is can't be burst.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

rusty nuts

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the emmisions failure print out? if it failed on high lambda reading then even a very small leak can make a huge difference
karlak

posted on 6/1/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Now Mot'd :)

Thanks all,

We had the flexi joint section replaced today and it flew through the emissions test (so it is MOt'd). The old flexi joint was actually quite badly worn.

However, since the new section has been fitted it has struggled to start a couple of times, with a fairly strong smell of fuel. Ever since we have owned the car it has started on the button with no throttle required.

I did wonder if the ECU will now have to "re-learn" the fueling without the leaking section. Maybe a good idea to disconnect the battery for a while and see if that resets something ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Ninehigh

posted on 7/1/12 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
I remember something about switching the ignition on 40 times resets the fault codes... If nothing's changed after a month...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.