Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pug 106 advice ? Or recommend a small car
Jon Ison

posted on 7/1/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Pug 106 advice ? Or recommend a small car

Step daughter passed her test just before Christmas, she likes the pug 106 for a 1st car has max £500 to spend so looking at cars 10 year plus old.

Pug experts what am I looking for when viewing this model ?

Any recommendations on a similar car, 1st car low insurance etc..... ?

RichardK

posted on 7/1/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
twisted rear beam, ie uneven gap between rear arch and top of wheel on either side. Head gasket can go easily and need a head skim if it has as its an ali head. cheapo cats only last a year so expect to replace if fails emmisions, also lambdas can wonder off so maybe that may need replacing? Front brake caliper pins can be a proper pita to knock out as they are a taper design and get corroded in but ypu've only go a small area to hit ie the top of the taper.(new kits that include the pins are easy to get, its just getting the old ones out.

Cant think of anything elso that was tricky when my lad had his T reg one, decent car really, shame he had to sell as he sold it for peanuts in the end.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 7/1/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
He was 17 and the cheapest he could find was tesco ins for 1800 third party only (car cost him 700

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 7/1/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Rear brakes can be a problem , getting the drum off can be fun . Timing belts can fail and normally bend the valves . Have had wiring break inside looms causing intermittant cutting out which took a while to diagnose. Also had a couple of injectors fail but not common
MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
twisted rear beam, ie uneven gap between rear arch and top of wheel on either side.

Not seen a twsited one, but they very commonly fail MOTs for badly worn trailing arm bearings which gives lots of negative camber on the rear wheels. This is common to most Peugeot and Citroen hatchbacks of the era. The rear dampers tend to get tired pretty quickly as well.

They aren't too bad for rust but there are some common places, inner wings where it meets the bulkhead, and where the boot floor meets the inner arches at the rear.

Watch out for knocking CV joints, they are integral to the driveshaft so you have to buy a complete recon driveshaft and they tend not to last very long.

britishtrident

posted on 7/1/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
At sub £500 a Nissan Micra or lowish mileage Rover 25/200 is a much better bet.

With the Rovers for low insurance make sure its is one of the lower BHP versions (ie 81 or 83ps p rather than than the 104ps).

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

perksy

posted on 7/1/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
As British trident says a Micra would be a better bet, only real achilles heel on those is the Throttle body
The 106 and the Saxo share alot of the same problems
Also wouldn't a Micra be cheaper on the insurance ?

iank

posted on 7/1/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
As British trident says a Micra would be a better bet, only real achilles heel on those is the Throttle body
The 106 and the Saxo share alot of the same problems
Also wouldn't a Micra be cheaper on the insurance ?

Throttle body is a 20min fix if you know how
http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.php

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 7/1/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of Micras have gearbox faults with third gear but at 10 years they should have been fixed. The gear linkage was dodgy on my sisters 106 but it was a cheap easy fix.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

big-vee-twin

posted on 7/1/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Saxo 1.0 ltr that my son learnt to drive in and I have used to commute to work in too, nice reliable car.

Been stood few months as he has gone University now, was going to get it up and running and sell for £500.00 in the next few weeks.

Its done aprox 70k miles on S reg. metalic blue.

U2U if you want to see some pics.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Dusty

posted on 7/1/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done halfshafts, gearbox, exhaust, crank sensor, overheating problems and loads of rust underneath. Rust badly in the floor pan strengthening member just behind the front arches. My girls have a Saxo, a 106, a Corsa and a Fiesta, all about 10yrs old. I would take the corsa or fiesta anyday and the 106 last and only under sufferance. Little pigs.
monck

posted on 7/1/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have had 2 106's and would have another any day ..... I don't see why people think pugs are crap

i had the 1.1 106 zest 2 as my first car was very reliable never broke down very good car ... Y reg 72,000 i gave £700 for it...

I then got the 106 Gti 1.6 16v i fell in love with this car it was savage for a small car ... Loved it !!

I have a pug 306 1.9Dturbo now this has done 120k but you would never believe it .. Just keeps on going i gave £500 for this car

Maybe being a girl she could get insured on a 306 1.9 D as a first car ? (306 is insurance bracket 5 and i think the 1.1 is bracket 3)

Who ever said pug's where crap hasn't driven the 106 Gti....

The only thing you have to watch on 106's is the torsion bar on the back as these aint cheap if they go .. Parts are cheap as chips anyway if they do unfortunately go wrong ... I would recommend one for a first car ....

daviep

posted on 7/1/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
My personal preference for a 10 year old small car would be a 1.25 zetec fiesta mk4 face lift 1995-2002. Don't seem to rust badly, engine's are quite lively (much better than 1.3 kent) and the handling is pretty good.

Bad points: wishbone bushes, back axle bushes, wheel cylinders. All cheap and easy to fix.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

lotusmadandy

posted on 7/1/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my 17yo son a W plate pug 206 1.9d,its in group 4.
he passed his test in semptember and the insurance is
only 1500 quid.

As per the 106,its rear beams and front wishbones that are the main gripes.
Andy

[Edited on 7/1/12 by lotusmadandy]

richardR1

posted on 7/1/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bought daughter a Seicento Sporting and that has been a fabulous little car, 2001 and gave £450 for it. She absolutely loves and she only paid £700 as a new driver for insurance. Also looks pretty smart having alloys, skirts and rear spoiler as standard. Pretty lively too!

[Edited on 7/1/12 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

coozer

posted on 7/1/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 16 year old 106 D, it is as intact as when it left the factory apart from some foam and carpet cause there was a water problem which I've fixed now.

As said, the rear beam is a problem, mine was fubbared and I got a good one off a 52 reg Saxo for £26. Rear brakes are dead easy to fix, not sure why some say its hard??

Apart from that its a 1.5D and does 70~80mpg, dirt cheap to run indeed...

6 months tax & mot left, anyone want it for £350??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fullpint

posted on 7/1/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardR1
Bought daughter a Seicento Sporting and that has been a fabulous little car, 2001 and gave £450 for it. She absolutely loves and she only paid £700 as a new driver for insurance. Also looks pretty smart having alloys, skirts and rear spoiler as standard. Pretty lively too!

We got our son the 899 Seicento in Aug, group 1 but i presume being a lad they charge more........ We paid a massive £2400 for his insurance How is your daugther with?

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 7/1/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ours is on a Y plate, and yes those cv joints are going. Had to replace the rear axle last year, and every winter it sounds like it's in danger of not starting (but it does)

There's nearly always a bulb blown somewhere on it, and it flattens batteries rather quick too (never had to jumpstart any other car after being on holiday for 2 weeks)

The diesel version is a cracking engine too, all the power you'd expect from a little tinbox but I used to do a 40 mile round trip to work in it and would use half a tank a week (£15 in 2000 money)

richardR1

posted on 8/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fullpint
quote:

We got our son the 899 Seicento in Aug, group 1 but i presume being a lad they charge more........ We paid a massive £2400 for his insurance How is your daugther with?

She is with Bell, cracking price and she loves the car to bits

Ninehigh

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Where did you go for that? I'm getting £3k!

richardR1

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
She is with Bell, renewed this year and she has paid just over £800

T66

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Daughters first car was a Micra, was a car I trusted her in - she moved onto a Metro which terrified me.

Micras, common and reliable. Gets my vote.

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
my pug 106 was probably the best car I've ever had - it cost me next to nothing and just kept going and going...
mine was an early total poverty spec model so had no eletric stuff to go wrong and no emissions stuff to go wrong (carb'd model)

other than the usial stuff the one thing that does need looked at on all 106's and saxo's is the chassis rails near the front - they always seem to rust and you'll end up needing to make repair patches like these:

[Edited on 10/1/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Ninehigh

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
She is with Bell, renewed this year and she has paid just over £800

3k is with Bell

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.