Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holiday Advice on Morocco and Tunisia (or others)
John P

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Holiday Advice on Morocco and Tunisia (or others)

Hi,

It’s our wedding anniversary in March and we’d like to get away for a week somewhere warm but not too expensive.

Looks like the choices are the Canary Islands, Morocco or Tunisia but as we’ve been to the Canaries several times we’d really like something different.

We like to be near the beach but actually enjoy being able to see the sights and walk shops, bars and small restaurants / café’s in the evening. (In fact Playa de Las Americas in Tenerife is one of our favourite destinations because of this).

Any advice on Morocco or Tunisia? Budget for accommodation for the two of us can’t be more than around £900.

John.

jase380

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Been to morocco once and hated it with a passion, the shop keepers and restaurant owners take hassling you to a whole new level, its a bit like the timeshare touts in the canaries used to be years ago !!. You also get the added benefit of been woken up at all hours by the local mosque's speaker system calling everyone to prayer. A mate of mine at work went last summer and came back with much the same opinion. My best mate went to tunisia last march, got a very good deal but it never got above 17 degrees and chucked it down for 4 days. Gambia will be hot but again you get pounced on as soon as you leave the hotel, egypt might be worth a look, never been myself but lots of people seem to love it and you should be able to get a good deal with the political situation as it is over there at the mo. Personnaly i don't think you can beat the canaries for a cheapish holiday with pretty much guaranteed good weather. Cape verde islands have good weather so might also be worth a look.
scootz

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not a fan of Tunisia.

We took a last-minute break there about 5 years back. The hotel was nice enough, but you didn't want to venture outside the complex!

The towns and cities were manky and the people hassled you to the point of severe irritation.

It may have changed since then of course!

It's Evolution Baby!

perksy

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Went to Tunisia a few years ago and would never recommend it to anyone

It was a knightmare to go out of the Hotel, If they weren't trying to sell you a leather jacket they were trying to sell
you a ride on a camel

T66

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Tunisia - Done that, like Scott says there are parts of town best not visited. Daughter has just done Morocco and loved it, but she doesnt look through my eyes at places. The colour of my skin became an issue for a few Arabs when out shopping, most are friendly but keen to sell you anything.

However, one of the best cheapo deals we did was on Lanzarote, had never fancied the black sand and the time share reps, but it had neither.

Immaculately clean Island, Tax free goodies, and I would go back - Landscapes quite lunar !

Best let us know what you book ....

russbost

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Morrocco/Tunisia are so different to the Canaries you might as well be on another planet!!!

I've been to both & enjoyed the experience (sort of despite the efforts of the locals rather than because of!), but I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone without major caveats. They are interesting places with some fantastic scenery, but going for a stroll is not generally a pleasant experience as you will get so much hassle. They will BS you & tell you they served at your table last night! They will try to get you to come to their brothers/uncles/cousins/whoevers shop, one couple we met had actually bought a carpet because they had been invited in for mint tea, then the door was locked & the hard sell started - they bought the carpet as they were genuinely scared & thought they might never escape otherwise - I'm sure that wasn't really the case, we've had traders shut & lock their doors so you don't get interrupted during the bartering, but with no ill intent. You have to haggle for everything, if you make the mistake of picking something up to look at it you will struggle to get out without buying it!

As I say, not sorry I went there, but it is an experience rather than an absolute pleasure - if you're loking for somewhere different without the hassle I would suggest Turkey, dirt cheap at the moment, very different to typical Spanish/Mediteranean hols & the nicest friendliest people I've ever met (despite them being dirt poor)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theconrodkid

posted on 8/1/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
today,s top tip
dont go south of the med,i did it once and had a gun stuffed in my face at the airport.
canaries were brilliant apart from the time share sharks,just look out for the BIG waves

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Chippy

posted on 8/1/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Malta, been there several times, loads of history, most of the people speak english and are in the main very friendly. Not as cheap as it used to be, due to now being in the euro zone, but if you have never been it's definately worth a visit. You either love it or hate it, seems to be no inbetween. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

britishtrident

posted on 8/1/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Malta is very very good but to make the most of it you need car hire especially as they changed the bus system completely last summer and last i heard it seems still to be chaotic.

The place I would really recommend for a special anniversary is the Italian Lakes, Lake Garda tends to be a bit cheaper than Lake Como, on Lake Garda the resort town of Bardolino or any other resort in the south eastern shore will probably the best choice for you.

If you go to the tripadvisor.co.uk website and do a search for the resort area name and forum you can ask for recommendations

Tripadvisor UK http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/1/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Went back to Tenerife 2 months ago , in the busy (las Americas bit) the 'looky looky' men activity seemed less than before , no timeshare touts.Have had a car there before and driven over Mount Teide etc .

Went to Egypt last year , Sharm El Shiek, excellent hotel helpful staff , bit of a s**t hole anywhere outside though, smelly chaotic airport, they move your case from the pavement to on the coach and ask for a tip, lots of tummy bug complaints, in fact my partner spent 5hrs of the 6 hour flight home in the bog and was then hospitalised .

We really like Menorca , had some great villa with own pool deals there, but not this time of year!, May - Sept .

Had a nice villa with pool deal in Lanzarote last February, interesting place to drive around ( very volcanic scenery)

iank

posted on 8/1/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Malta

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mrwibble

posted on 8/1/12 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
went to Morocco last xmas and really enjoyed it. you have to forgive it somethings, its a poor country and people are desperate, sometimes its a bit smelly but just for the charm and difference and actually experience you just can't compare it.

its quick to get to, if you stay in Riads it is everything a package holiday in the canaries is not (faceless, anonymous and dull) and if you know where to go you can eat like a king for not a lot.

we spent 5 days in Marakesh and 6 in Eassaouira pronounced essaweera. We stayed in the old town in Marrakesh right amongst the main square with its fire eaters, snake charmers and food stalls, full of atmosphere and charm. If you want a bit more easy going go to Eassaouira its a but full of french people, but the food and restaurants are great, the chilled out vibe is great and if you find a nice Riad (read b&b) in the old town a bottle of wine on the roof at sunset is well worth it (if you can find the alcohol shop). There is surfing if your keen, and lots of traditional crafts from the local cooperative.

things to be careful of - orange juice and fruit juice - a nono unless its bottled, because they mix it with ice full of bugs. Get a price for everything before you agree to anything - got stung by some snake charmers asking for silly money after a photo. don't let anyone "guide" you they generally want £20 for 2 mins of bad advice. avoid salads and anything washed in tap water didn't have any travellers tummies to talk of.

I could go on, basically if you want a package sit in the sun all inclusive then go to the canaries, if you want to feel like you've experienced something that you will remember forever I can't fault where I went in Morocco.

[Edited on 8/1/12 by mrwibble]

D Beddows

posted on 8/1/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
We went to Tunisia on honeymoon - lovely country and some wonderful things to see but a large majority of the inhabitants are a complete pain in the ars*and spoil it. We also been to Morocco - and have to say I absolutely loved it, yes you get a bit of hassle but mostly you get the impression the people hassling you actually need the money unlike Tunisia where you get the impression they mostly do it for fun...... If you want to sit by a pool or on the beach in the company of fellow British people and have full English breakfasts and fish and chips then forget either because you'll hate them both - if you want a proper adventure go to Morocco and take an open mind.
designer

posted on 8/1/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
To be hassle free, try Malta. One visit is enough tho.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 8/1/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
To be hassle free, try Malta. One visit is enough tho.

Funny that, been there several times, and always get to see something different each time, there is so much history on the island that you just cant see it all on one visit, hire car an essential though, IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

bobinspain

posted on 8/1/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cyprus would be high on the list.
For a week, Malta's ok.
Done Lanzarotte. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Feb is the driest month of the year here in Spain, but like anywhere N.Hem,weather can be iffy. Bargains galore here just now.
Egypt, Nile cruise is outstanding and they'll be giving 'em away just now, along with flak-jackets. If you don't do it now, make sure you do sometime in the future. I'm no 'culture vulture', (Burnley born 'n' bred), but it blew me away.
Our favourite winter break, (fabulous value for money) but a trek for just a week is Goa, Stunning! We booked for the following year whilst we were there, so impressed.
With your budget and the pound up to 1.21 against the euro, you'll be spoilt for choice if you stick to Europe.

Have a good one wherever you chose.

Bob.

[Edited on 8/1/12 by bobinspain]

mrwibble

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
We went to Tunisia on honeymoon - lovely country and some wonderful things to see but a large majority of the inhabitants are a complete pain in the ars*and spoil it. We also been to Morocco - and have to say I absolutely loved it, yes you get a bit of hassle but mostly you get the impression the people hassling you actually need the money unlike Tunisia where you get the impression they mostly do it for fun...... If you want to sit by a pool or on the beach in the company of fellow British people and have full English breakfasts and fish and chips then forget either because you'll hate them both - if you want a proper adventure go to Morocco and take an open mind.

right on brother

Jasper

posted on 9/1/12 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've been all over the world to many, many countries, and I can say without any doubt that Morocco was the worst place I've been too.

It is undoubtably a beautiful country, but the locals are truly horrible. They are aggresive, rude and never ever stop hassling you. It's the only place I've ever been to that I've been physically threatened. I would never go back, and would generally avoid Muslims countries (except Indonesia) unless there was an overiding reason to go - like Egypt for the pyramids.

Like others have said, I've rather go to Malta, Cyprus etc, or go the extra miles and go to Goa, I LOVE the very south, a place called Palolem, featured in the second 'Bourne' film at the beginning, been a couple of times now.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

bobinspain

posted on 9/1/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I've been all over the world to many, many countries, and I can say without any doubt that Morocco was the worst place I've been too.

It is undoubtably a beautiful country, but the locals are truly horrible. They are aggresive, rude and never ever stop hassling you. It's the only place I've ever been to that I've been physically threatened. I would never go back, and would generally avoid Muslims countries (except Indonesia) unless there was an overiding reason to go - like Egypt for the pyramids.

Like others have said, I've rather go to Malta, Cyprus etc, or go the extra miles and go to Goa, I LOVE the very south, a place called Palolem, featured in the second 'Bourne' film at the beginning, been a couple of times now.

Pyramids over-hyped in my opinion.
Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel etc are more interesting and you can take 'em all in on a cruise. Luxor itself would keep you occupied for days.
Pyramids are a 'flog' to go and see and an interesting diversion for an afternoon, but 10 hours on a train from Luxor to Cairo is a pain though.
It's academic really, as the problems there preclude all but the brave from visiting.
I agree with your Goa comment though. Wonderful, friendly people, except the 'jobsworth' immigration police at the airport. 'Cheap as chips' too.

D Beddows

posted on 9/1/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It is undoubtably a beautiful country, but the locals are truly horrible. They are aggresive, rude and never ever stop hassling you. It's the only place I've ever been to that I've been physically threatened.

I'd avoid Tunisia then if I were you - it's worse by a factor of at least about x5 and I must admit on a couple of occasions I did feel more than a little uncomfortable about the situation I found myself in.

TBH I've never felt particularly threatened in Morroco, yes there are some w*nkers like everywhere (I think I've felt more hassled here by t*ssers on commission in shopping centers trying to get me to swap energy providers than I did by the locals in Morocco for example) but I do understand it's not part of a lot of peoples idea of a good holiday. Having to haggle for everything isn't the big deal people make it out to be either, at the end of the day as long as you think you've paying a fair price for something then that's all that matters not whether you're getting it for the 'locals' price.

Mind you, as I mentioned, we had been to Tunisia first so Moroccans seemed a bit of a push over in comparison!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.