Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA
monck

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA

Hi all i have just received a tax renewal reminder for a car i got crushed a year ago ....

Basically the car was flattened in an accident when a polish lad with no insurance hit the car .....

It was only a £1500 car and spares for it were'nt cheap so i sorn'd the car broke it for bits then scrapped it ...

Im not 100% sure i took the logbook in with the car witch would explain the reason but i have scrapped that many cars this year due to banger racing i cant remember if i did with this car ....

Also its V5 is not with any of my V5's of my current vehicles where it would be if i had it .....

Whats the best way of going about this anyone know ?

Shall i write to DVLA say i scraped it or will i get some bullshit letter saying they need v5 ect ect

Or do i just keep declaring it SORN for the next 40 years

Advise on this would be great , Ryan

afj

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
they may ask for a certificate of destruction, you get one if the place you scrapped the car is a dvla approved place, if you dont have one call them

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ninehigh

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd inform them that it's been scrapped, but can't remember where/when/how and see if they want to help you or not.

me!

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Could you phone up and ask for a new V5, and then declare the vehicle scrapped when it turns up?
monck

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think chances of being issued with a certificate of destruction a year after it was scraped are to high but ill give it ago ...

I don't see why they ask questions as what could i possible gain from telling them its scrapped if it wasn't ?

What stops me say scraping another scrap car in on the v5 and be done with it ?

cheers

blakep82

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
i had a cortina for a few months, left it my grandmas garage in essex while i was up here for a few months, some kids nicked a car, dumped it outside her garage and set light to it. my car went up too

grandmas next door neighbours son said he'd scarp it for me, sounded easiest to me, so said ok, the car disappeared, but i don't know where to, and when i tried calling him to find out where it went, he never answered my calls, or called back, and i still had the V5.

wrote to DVLA with photos of the damage, said what happened, and that i had no idea where the car is. they wrote back saying they've noted it as scrapped, and that i was no longer liable for the car.
quite helpful really. was a shame though, coz i wanted the uprights off of it...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

monck

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well now you mention it i have a picture of the bare shell on the pallet forks of a JCB lodall with me sat in it ..... I think that's proof it was scrap ?

I may send them a pick of this as its the only thing i have to prove it is no longer in use ...

Ill let you all know how i get on just wanted some advise before i sent a letter ...

Cheers

JoelP

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Many approaches you could take here. Myself, id be careful telling them the truth, as its too easy for them to fine you. Id wait for more suggestions, in case someone has a fool proof idea!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

monck

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ok Joel, i will seek some more advise ... My worry was once you'd sent them one thing you couldn't go back on it so best to get it right ...

Cheers

speedstar

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar thing a few months ago when I got rid of my Supra. I left it on a university campus and asked a couple of the guys there to get rid of it for me. They phoned an irish sounding bloke with a flatbed, and that was that.

Got a letter saying I need to renew my tax.

Sent them a letter simply stating that the car had been scrapped as of 1st September 2011 (or whatever), and was therefore no longer on the road.

Helped them out best I could with Reg number, make, model, engine, colour, # seats, # doors etc etc and they sent a letter back saying they had updated their system. Simples

steve m

posted on 11/1/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Tell them you sold it to a pikey, that you met in a pub
The DVLA wont have a clue what to do, and take you off the ownership docs

monck

posted on 11/1/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Speed star - please don't tell me this was an old cheese wedge shape supra ?

Steve - I was thinking similar to your idea and just say the "Any old iron" lot took it an must not have sent the v5 ?

Thanks

owelly

posted on 11/1/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
No. For goodness sake don't say you gave the V5 to someone else as that WILL land you with a fine.
This is what I may have dine in the past
Phone them up and tell them the exact date you sold the vehicle for scrap and tell them the exact date you sent off the V5 with a covering note stating that the car had been dismantled and scrapped.
Its your responsibility to inform of change of keepers, SORN, scrapping etc and you're supposed to check with them if you've not had confirmation.
So, if you posted the docs 4 weeks ago, you could now ring up to ask why you've got the reminder....its funny how stuff gets lost in the post.
Not that I would advocate such things.

[Edited on 11/1/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monck

posted on 12/1/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds the best idea would it be better to phone or write a letter ?

Cheers

owelly

posted on 12/1/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Phone them but have some dates written down. They record the calls so be sure you get your story straight. Offer to send then a letter to confirm.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monck

posted on 12/1/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers ill do it tomorrow and let you know if i have any luck .... Fingers crossed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.