Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scuttle/ bonnet line
jimmy

posted on 13/9/02 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Scuttle/ bonnet line

At work I have the faciletys to construct a scuttle totally out of aluminium, frame and everything.
Is it ok for sva (strength)?
Also are all makes of nosecone the same height from top of chassis rails because if I make the scuttle same as book I want to make sure there is a flowing straight line from top of the scuttle to the tip of the nosecone also it will help when making a bonnet.

Cheers Jimmy

Simon

posted on 16/9/02 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Jimmy,

I have built my chassis 4" wider than book, so am going to have to make scuttle and bonnet.

I've cheated, and bought a standard width nose from Luego, which I'm going to cut in half and widen by 4".

As for scuttle, I traced the rear of nose onto a piece of 5mm mdf (to form the front of scuttle), then with my amazing artistic skills, scaled this to the width / height I require, following profile of nose as closely as possible (obviously it's slightly elongated width ways).

I then cut this out with a jigsaw, and clamped it to the chassis.

Now for the cunning bit.

Clamp another sheet of MDF in the right place and angle for the rear form (drivers side as opposed to engine side). I then took a piece of 2"x1" timber and taped a marker pen to it, and with one end of wood on nose, the pen end against the rear form and the front form of scuttle doing the rest, scribed a line around rear sheet. My theory being I should have a perfect flowing scuttle, bonnet and nose.

If this is unclear, let me know and I'll do a diagram.

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 16/9/02 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jimmy,

Me again, got so carried away with previous post forgot about the strength of ally scuttle.

IMHO the scuttle isn't exactly stressed. OK, so it'll have a dash attached to it, a few instruments, and a bonnet on the other end.
You could have internal bracing if req'd (providing they meet with radiusing requirements of SVA!!) But assuming it's fully welded, would have thought it would be quite strong (ie 2d curves, folds and welds?)

My concern would the "Firewall" requirement. Others must have ally dash so may be able to enlighten you.

If f/glass ok :-)

ATB

Simon

jimmy

posted on 17/9/02 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers simon,
I won't be buying my nosecone for some time yet and my chassis is also 4" wider than book but it still retaines the standard width nosecone.(mc sorley)
I need to make my scuttle week after next as boss is away.
I will be making it out of ally box section and 1" tube bent on electric pipe bender to get the profile and then fully tig welded so it will be light strong and rigid.
P.S Rather than buy a nosecone on its own at around 90 quid or so i'd rather buy all my grp at once as it works out cheaper but I can't afford it all yet.
Cheers Jimmy

Dick Axtell

posted on 18/9/02 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jimmy,

Is your engine installed yet? You need to check that the nosecone height is sufficient to cover the rocker/cam cover. I would be very interested to know your dimension from top chassis rail to uppermost engine profile.

Dick

jimmy

posted on 18/9/02 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi dick,
I have'nt installed my engine yet,but my chassis is 2" taller and I am using a 2litre pinto with oil filler cut plated and re-welded at opposite end.
I am hoping I will get away with the sump depth with the chassis being 2" taller or I may just risk it and sit the engine with sump a touch lower than normal.

Dick Axtell

posted on 18/9/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for feedback. The reason I asked for the height dimension, is because I reckon my xflow will be 2 high for the correct bonnet line.
Bought supposed xflow brkts from Lluego, but after visiting their stand at Donny, I reckon these are pinto brkts. Another trip to Stoneleigh next year to get 'em changed!!

Dick

paulf

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
/That is the problem with buying ready made parts,Ihave bought very little as i prefer to make everything possible, but those parts i have bought either dont fit correctly or are not to my satisfaction.
I put my engine in on some blocks of wood and checked the bonnet and nose fit and adjusted the engine to suit, I then welded a set of mounts to fit.
I am fitting a 1600 crossflow and 5 speed box and will have to have the top of the carb and filter sticking out of the bonnet. I also raised the rear edge of the nosecone by about 20mm and moved it slightly forward.I am considering fitting a bulge but may just hope that the SVA inspector is happy with the foam pipercross filter.
Paul.
quote:
Hi Jimmy,
Bought supposed xflow brkts from Lluego, but after visiting their stand at Donny, I reckon these are pinto brkts. Another trip to Stoneleigh next year to get 'em changed!!

Dick

Dick Axtell

posted on 20/9/02 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. BTW - is your 5-speed box the usual Type 9? If so, how close is your bell-housing to the footwell end-walls? I will have to ease my engine forward by 10mm to ensure clearance.

Dick

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

paulf

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dick I have about 30mm clearance between the end of the lump behind the starter motor and the pasenger footwell .I could have moved it back slightly further but the gear lever fouled on the crossmember on the upper tunnel structure and i couldnt be bothered to move it.
Paul.
quote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. BTW - is your 5-speed box the usual Type 9? If so, how close is your bell-housing to the footwell end-walls? I will have to ease my engine forward by 10mm to ensure clearance.

Dick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.