Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sky+ box
chrisbeale

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
sky+ box

Got in tonight to find the sky box not coming out of standby mode. It's happened before and ended up with a new box after some persuasive phone calls. This is the second time in as many years. I have now though about going away from sky and ontj a different provider, I believe bt and virgin are the other competitors. Can any one give me any recommendations or should I try giving sky another ear bashing?
Cheers.

mookaloid

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
If it's out of warranty I've got a spare here which is cheap

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

daniel mason

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
just pull the power chord from the back and plug it in again. they freeeze quite a lot

graememk

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
call sky and tell then the box has gone wrong they will say its out of its one year warranty then ask to talk to a manager afer researching electrical products designed to be 3 years fit for purpose, you'll end up with a new box and maybe have to pay for the install, be very persistent on the phone until you get a free box.
sky12042

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ring up Sky and tell them your box is knackered, and tell them you want to cancel.
you will get put through to a cancellations deptartment, they should try and get you to stay with sky, but tell them you will only stay if they will give you a HD box. that way you will get a brand new box not a reconditioned one. they are much more reliable.

if they refuse to do this. just put phone down and ring back the next day, eventually you will get someone in good mood that should help you out.

ChrisW

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
If a power cycle doesn't bring it back it's probably a dead PSU. You can get capaciter replacement kits off eBay if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Failing that, ring up and tell them you're cancelling because the box is bust. If they don't offer you one for free cancel anyway, then sign up again tomorrow in your wife/girlfriend/housemate/dog's name. New signups get a free box if I remember correctly.

Or just buy one off eBay?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 12/1/12 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
if i remember right, a software download often sorts this, from my days at sky...

switch off at the wall, press and hold the back up button on the box (not the remote) switch on at the wall and keep holding down that back up button until you get a message on screen saying about a software download. leave it for about 20 minutes, then press the sky button on the remote. it downloads through the satelite which constantly beams out the software for downloading

that usually works, otherwise, call sky again

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
New signups get a free box if I remember correctly.

correct, but you'll get into a new 1 year contract... which you may or may not mind

[Edited on 12/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jabs

posted on 12/1/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
With Virgin you get less channels ( but they are all cr*p anyway) but get catchup tv such as BBCi player, 4OD etc but the total package of V+, phone and internet is more expensive than the sky offering. You also have to be in an area Virgin are in. I also find the box is sometimes a bit slow changing channels and bringing up the menus. You should also note that they have a 2 year contract.
Ninehigh

posted on 12/1/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
They also have the flimsiest set of remotes in the world ever, we're on our third in two years. Also I don't know if this happens to anyone else but it has a habit of cutting off the last x minutes of a program, and given that the recording is extended by the full 15 mins either side this means that the box is recording a half hour program for 15 minutes...

The only reason we're not back with sky is their broadband is awful (promised 5meg, got 2... half the time)

jossey

posted on 12/1/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
we got a new box after having one for 2 years by calling sky to cancel and they sent a new box with install out.....

only issue is we lost all the recorded stuff which is a pain..

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
The only reason we're not back with sky is their broadband is awful (promised 5meg, got 2... half the time)

With ADSL this is purely down to the quality (length, noise, interference etc.) of your phone line, you'd get similar speeds from other ADSL providers.

My Sky broadband has been excellent, even though I am a long way fro the exchange. I use a better quality router than the one supplied however.

[Edited on 12/1/12 by MikeRJ]

splitrivet

posted on 12/1/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Had this a couple of times if powering down and powering up the box doesnt crack it do the following.
1. Unplug box from mains.

2. Press and hold the left and right scroll buttons on the front of box then plug back into mains,keep buttons pressed until the ring lights, release buttons and press select on machine, the red ring will then flash backwards if memory serves, let it do its thing (may take a while).
The machine is then reset, you will lose all recordings unfortunately.
HTH.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

john_p_b

posted on 12/1/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
mine died after 18 months, they said it'd be a £60 call out fee but would supply a recon box if it was faulty. told them i wanted to cancel, 3 days later i had a brand new HD box installed free of charge. they want your custom, even if you only have a basic tv package it's still over £200 a year they make from you.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

eddie99

posted on 12/1/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yup if they cause a fuss, threaten to cancel and they tend to do anything. My parents were paying something like £75 for pretty much everything a month, told them they were cancelling because its not worth that to them, 2 weeks before cancel date, my dad got a phone call saying how about everything except some of the movies for £38 a month.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.