Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: argghhh VAT on eu imported goods?
NS Dev

posted on 12/1/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
argghhh VAT on eu imported goods?

Any accountants in the house?

We currently keep our own "books" and have started to bring a few parts into the country from holland and germany.

As we're now VAT registered, how do we deal with these parts?

At the moment we're paying the VAT (say 19% in germany) on these parts, but I don't know what to do in our accounts?

I've read the HMRC guidelines and they are as clear as mud! I'll ring them to check, but thought somebody on here must have done or be doing this?

my "presumption" is that if I supply my german supplier with my UK vat reg. number, he will supply me at price less VAT, then I have to pay the 20% vat in the uk, charge on the 20% vat to my customer, pay this to HMRC and claim back the VAT I "paid" on aquiring the goods.................

I can't seem to find any reference to how this system is supposed to work!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

splitrivet

posted on 12/1/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Prepare to have HMRC all over you like a bad rash after the VAT Carousel frauds from a few years back.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Pdlewis

posted on 12/1/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you engage an accountant for advice?

I have an accountant do my books and they are no where nr as costly as you think and even less so for bit of information like this

I use these guys up by volvo in hinckley

Dowsett Moore

Chartered Accountants - Hinckley
17 Station Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire., LE10 1AW

Telephone

01455 230 537

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Jasper

posted on 12/1/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you have each others VAT numbers then as far as I know they don't have to charge you the VAT. I get regular bills from a big German supplier and there's never any VAT on them.

I use a local book keeper. Cheaper than an accountant and definitely save me time and money as our accounts are super complicated, import and export from EU and worldwide, and dealing in new, secondhand and antique items - at least 5 different VAT rules!!

You can always call HMRC, depending on who you get then can be very helpful and even pleasant!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/1/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Do go and ask the taxman. My dealings with them have always been very good, they like to help and have never stitched me up. I was even "investigated" once, and it turned out I owed them about £25, but they actually paid me a refund (long story!)
Previously they gave me advice that saved a fair wedge of cash too.

JonnyS

posted on 12/1/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a Chartered Accountant for my sins:

For the EU supplier to charge zero rate VAT on your purchases, these conditions need to be met:

- the goods are sent out of the country to somewhere in another EU country
- whoever they're sending them to is genuinely registered for VAT in another EU country
- they get your VAT registration number - including the two letter country code - and show it on the sales invoice
- they've got paperwork showing that the goods have gone out of the country - 'evidence of removal'
- they dispatch the goods and get evidence of removal within a set time - which is normally three months

So you should be getting a zero rated invoice each time. This is how it should be dealt with:

Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as it is an 'acquisition' and meeting the criteria, it is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive. The cost of the parts are £100.

In the above example, you would:

1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by B) in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100

2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by B) in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100

3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)

4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20

So effectively you're putting it on to the VAT return then taking it out. Then net effect is no VAT is claimed, but no VAT is suffered in the first place. Most clients don't bother though Effectively a silly process but one which is required to keep a check on EU business.

I'd be happy to consider taking you on as a client

woolly

posted on 12/1/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

that is one class sales line

thanks for the onfo as i bought suff and also needed to know

JonnyS

posted on 13/1/12 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woolly
quote:

that is one class sales line

thanks for the onfo as i bought suff and also needed to know

Didn't quite mean it like that. Just that the OP isn't round the corner, but about 50 minutes away, so if they needed a real hands-on approach I couldn't provide it. A couple of visits a year plus phone/email support is fine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.